Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Browning X bolt reviews?

Hey guys,

Been looking online at the browning hells canyon speed & the hunter high grade models. Anyone have experience with either rifle? Not sure on calibre yet but just looking for some reviews.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 07:12 PM

I've been dreaming about that rifle as well. If you buy one leave a review ad well please.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM

I had a stainless stalker in 7WSM. Best I could get it to shoot was 1.25" at 100 yds. Tried lots of bullet and powder combos. Other guys say they are tack drivers. Mine sure wasn't. Years ago I had another stainless stalker in 30-06. This was a A Bolt and was very accurate. Personally I think any production rifle is a bit of a gamble. Maybe look into a manufacturer that has a MOA guarantee. All depends on how big the budget is. Some factory guns will shoot as good as a custom but it's rare.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 PM

I have had a couple of x bolts(7mm RM & 6.5 CM),both are very decent shooters and no problems.I sold the 7mm a couple years ago as I have 2 other 7mm's .Brother has a couple of them and they shoot great also.
My only problem with the brownings is that there is not much aftermarket stuff for them and I tend to shoot alot and have shot a few barrels out and not to many gunsmiths like rebarreling brownings.
If I was going to buy a hunting rifle I think I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 PM

ive had a few xbolts in a few different calibers. Honestly at a hundred yards my blr shoots just as good even better than a few I have owned. This last one I bought is a keeper just an xbolt stainless hunter in .308. I found the right bullet and powder. When I first started sighting in rifle I was shooting 150 sst and it was like close to moa. Then I tried the hornady eld-x in 178 grain. Amazing the gun loves them cut bullet holes at 100 yards. Its like another poster said buying production guns you just dont know really its kinda a crap shoot at the best of times.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 PM

I have a Xbolt Medalion in 270 WSM and a Xbolt 3-D Birds eye maple in 300 Win Mag. In my opinion, the finish is excellent and both are excellent shooters. Also, the Browning Xlock system for scope mounting is great. I really can't say enough good.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Ive had several xbolts and love them....especially once you find ammunition 'they' like.....pretty much any of them should shoot moa with the right ammo. (From my 243 liking blue box federal, 270wsm liking nosler accubonds, 300wsm liking 165 Barnes, to mone and my sons 308''s doing decent with SST's). I also owned a 6.5 Creedmoor Speed and it touched holes with the ELDX''s. ...so all great choices. Best advice is pick the rifle caliber first then go shoulder different models.....good luck!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 AM

I had an Xbolt ( I forget the exact model) chambered in 325WSM. I found the rifle to be lighter weight that my winchester model 70's which I quite liked. The fit an finish of the rifle was very good and every time I shoulder it to shoot I found that it was very easy to acquire the target. I hand loaded for the rifle using 200gr Nosler partitions and I was consistently shooting a 1.2" group at 200m with it.

I did find one issue with that rifle that every time I'd eject a shot shell it would hit the windage cape on the scope and then fall back into the rifle. I was using a scope with a 30mm tube and medium rings. I didn't try high rings on it to see if it would fix the problem because I have looked through scopes in the past with high rings and I didn't like the feel of it. For that reason I sold the rifle.

I liked it enough though that maybe in a couple years time and with a few more dollars in the bank I'll go get another one and try it again. Best of luck on you search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 AM

I'm not an overly large fan of the X-Bolt, although my reasons are purely personal. When I worked in a gun store we never had a single one come back for warranty work; however, I did have a friend who bought one and took it home to NZ before he shot it. It ended up having a chamber that was cut off axis to the bore, which caused accuracy problems.

They are fairly light, but by no means the lightest on the market. The Mountain Ti had this awful plastic sleeve on the bolt, the bolt would bind no matter how you lubed it. I don't like 3 lug actions and 60 bolt throws, the cocking action is compressed into a shorter distance, so while the throw is shorter, it requires more effort than 2 lug actions. Not that it is overly hard, but I am subjectively not a big fan.

Ultimately they are pretty good rifles, but not my cup of tea.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:48 AM

I have fired several X bolts and helped develop loads for a few. The fit and finish is good as with all Browning firearms, and the acuracy tends to be quite good. My only reservation is that the triggers often won't adjust below 3 to 3-1/2 lbs, which is more than I prefer. As for the Hills Canyon model, I find the price on the high side for what you get.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have fired several X bolts and helped develop loads for a few. The fit and finish is good as with all Browning firearms, and the acuracy tends to be quite good. My only reservation is that the triggers often won't adjust below 3 to 3-1/2 lbs, which is more than I prefer. As for the Hills Canyon model, I find the price on the high side for what you get.
I took my trigger apart and honed down some tooling marks on the sear and cut the spring down a bit and now it pulls a crisp 2 1/2 lbs.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 AM

I own several x bolts and have nothing but good to say about them. As far as the hunter high grade and the HC speed, I think you need to decide if you want a wood stock or something more "robust". I own a hunter high grade and it's a very nice looking rifle but honestly I own 2 white gold medallions and to me they are nicer. The stock that's on my high grade wasn't as much as a "higher grade" as I was expecting. My buddy has the HC speed in 6.5 and I can say that if you're looking for a all weather type rifle and are bored of the black synthetic and stainless barrel, the HC is one of the coolest I've seen.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Never had any problems with either of my X-Bolts. The detachable mag's are awesome!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyeMG View Post
I had an Xbolt ( I forget the exact model) chambered in 325WSM. I found the rifle to be lighter weight that my winchester model 70's which I quite liked. The fit an finish of the rifle was very good and every time I shoulder it to shoot I found that it was very easy to acquire the target. I hand loaded for the rifle using 200gr Nosler partitions and I was consistently shooting a 1.2" group at 200m with it.

I did find one issue with that rifle that every time I'd eject a shot shell it would hit the windage cape on the scope and then fall back into the rifle. I was using a scope with a 30mm tube and medium rings. I didn't try high rings on it to see if it would fix the problem because I have looked through scopes in the past with high rings and I didn't like the feel of it. For that reason I sold the rifle.

I liked it enough though that maybe in a couple years time and with a few more dollars in the bank I'll go get another one and try it again. Best of luck on you search.

Anyone else have this ejection issue? Or this was just a very rare case?

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

I have X-bolt stalker in .338 win. excellent accuracy and the rifle fits me perfect. The trigger is 3 1/2 lbs a little heavier than I like and the trigger shoe is round not flat like all my other rifles feels strange other than that I like it.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM

I bought a standard blued barrel Dura Touch synthetic stock X Bolt 30-06 a few years ago. Trigger pull is great/crisp and I was lucky to find a load it loved immediately - old 'red' box federal 180 grainers - shoots well under an inch@ 100 yds with these. The detachable Magazine design is a dream and this lightweight but rugged firearm is without a doubt the best hunting rifle I have ever owned - and very reasonably priced

Last edited by gunsnroses; 07-21-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: forgot x bolt
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 PM

I have a 300wsm xbolt composite stalker with a burris 3x15-50mm scope mounted on it. And get quarter sized groups at a hundred yards. Had a couple shots touching holes before. I love my rifle, i never had an issue with it yet. It has a smooth action, it also cycles rounds nicely.

Buddy also has exact same gun but with a huskamaw scope mounted on it. He was getting 6-8in groups at 800yards with his.

Fine gun that doesn't break the bank
Old 07-21-2017, 03:55 PM

I know of a 243 the won't feed front the mag when cold with no help from browning! The original magazine was replaced before the season. but the new one did the same thing almost cost my nephew his moose others seem to work fine but there triggers are almost all aweful
Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
I know of a 243 the won't feed front the mag when cold with no help from browning! The original magazine was replaced before the season. but the new one did the same thing almost cost my nephew his moose others seem to work fine but there triggers are almost all aweful

I had the same problem with my xbolt in 7 MM, the first trip to the range it failed to feed a few times, then the browning rings broke. Went back to wholesale sports, had the scope rings replaced and let them know about the feeding problem, sent the gun in for repair, still problems feeding, one year later they bought the gun back, full refund. Bought a TIKA

Old 07-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
I had a similar problem with my .308 x-bolt across multiple magazines, but eventually decided it was from using neck-sized only brass. I've never had the problem again now that I full-length size the cases every time. I guess the magazines have a relatively weak follower and can't handle cases even a couple hundredths wider than they should be.

With that problem solved I like the rifle a lot and find it reliable. It's accurate and has a nice stock design. The trigger seems to polarise people but I have mine dialed to the lowest setting and it's well above average compared to the various hunting rifles I've shot over the years.

It's a good rifle, and as long as you match the model to your shooting needs I'm confident you would be satisfied with it. It's comparable to a Model 70, Tikka T3x, or Sako A7 in price. Try holding some of these and see if that helps you decide.