Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Banned

Post Moose and Elk hunting 318,314,316.

Hi I have alot of family in the sundre area non of them hunt though, and ever since I could hunt I have been applying for my elk and moose tags and I finally got them. I also plan on buying tags for both species as well. It's my first year hunting elk and moose out near sundre (in my lifetime for that matter) I have hunted lots of deer out there, but I have not seen one elk or moose. Does anyone know any good locations in these areas? Or know anyone that would be willing to point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate some help with finding some good land with some animals that's are active.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonehunter117 View Post
Hi I have alot of family in the sundre area non of them hunt though, and ever since I could hunt I have been applying for my elk and moose tags and I finally got them. I also plan on buying tags for both species as well. It's my first year hunting elk and moose out near sundre (in my lifetime for that matter) I have hunted lots of deer out there, but I have not seen one elk or moose. Does anyone know any good locations in these areas? Or know anyone that would be willing to point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate some help with finding some good land with some animals that's are active.
I'd start looking around the sundre area.
1 post and asking for spots, I'll assume you won't be around here long
Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

90% of ppl who ask where to hunt it's there first post lol
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM

What zones are you going to be hunting?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Mr One post ....You say you have been hunting this zone for many years for deer and never seen any elk.
Why would you put in for a elk draw in this area then ?
Have you been seeing any Elk tracks at least ?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Mr One post ....You say you have been hunting this zone for many years for deer and never seen any elk.
Why would you put in for a elk draw in this area then ?
Have you been seeing any Elk tracks at least ?
They're good at hiding in the trees.

Grizz
Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM

I don't think anyone in Sundre doesn't hunt. That's not the Sundre I know haha
Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

I have family that lives there, I am new to this posting stuff in general, and I work a 2pm-10pm, I usually go down past Bearberry bar and hunt the river flats. I went down Canada long weekend and saw alot of deer activity a few kms down the james river while I was fishing. No moose or elk tracks though. And I have been putting tags here because I only ever hunt here because I love the country out in mountain view. So beautiful.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:35 PM

I grew up in mountain view and know the area well. It's gorgeous.
It's surprising you haven't seen mouse in bearberry. EDIT: and by mouse i mean moose. The elk are very tough to find though.

It just doesn't sound like Sundre when locals don't hunt haha
Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 PM

The thread title is a bit confusing. 3 zones listed but you do not specify which zone the drawn tags are for or sex of species drawn. I spend time in 318 during the summer and fall months. Have seen good bull moose there but they are by no means abundant. I have seen one heard of elk in the many years out there. 90% of the moose were not seen in the truck. They were on foot or quad and no where near any sort of driveable road. As mentioned putting in for a draw in a zone you have never encountered in those zones seems silly. I can't be of much help but I wish you the best of luck. Get some boots with good soles and start walking. They are out there.

DR
Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Banned

Not only that I am not really looking for spots....I don't sit around and wait I like to know where they are eating, sleeping, drinking ect. I can spot and stalk from there if I even need too. I just gota find a few good locations where they are moving between food or water or a bed down and catch them on there way. So don't feel like I am asking for any cherished spots I am just looking for a promising location and someone with some more knowledge then I about the local elk and moose. This will be my first moose and or elk hunt period. I have about two weeks booked off from work in November for it. I am dedicated to getting these animals.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Both tags in the draw are for 318, I will buy the other tags for the other area's if I have no luck at 318 the first week, I will definitely be getting some good shoes and I have a small canvas I set up with a insulated hamock that I can set up anywhere for camp so I don't loose any ground.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM

So you are drawn for 318 for moose and elk and if you dont have good luck with that zone you are going to buy your tags for 314 and 316? Good luck with that.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Both tags in the draw are for 318, I will buy the other tags for the other area's if I have no luck at 318 the first week, I will definitely be getting some good shoes and I have a small canvas I set up with a insulated hamock that I can set up anywhere for camp so I don't loose any ground.
You better the study the regs extra hard son...you need a Remedial
Class.

LC
Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger5143 View Post
The thread title is a bit confusing. 3 zones listed but you do not specify which zone the drawn tags are for or sex of species drawn. I spend time in 318 during the summer and fall months. Have seen good bull moose there but they are by no means abundant. I have seen one heard of elk in the many years out there. 90% of the moose were not seen in the truck. They were on foot or quad and no where near any sort of driveable road. As mentioned putting in for a draw in a zone you have never encountered in those zones seems silly. I can't be of much help but I wish you the best of luck. Get some boots with good soles and start walking. They are out there.

DR

Thanks that's exactly the plan. My hunts before I wasnt really looking for moose, I have family with land we hunt on for deer and they have only ever seen about three moose on their land in 20 years and I don't think they have seen any elk out there. I will find them I am connected to the land I love it so even if I don't see much, it will still be enjoyable.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Last years regs you could get some tags in those are the big game regs I haven't seen what you could buy yet and I did know they were released. I went of last year's tags
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Last years regs you could get some tags in those are the big game regs I haven't seen what you could buy yet and I did know they were released. I went of last year's tags
You CANNOT hold a moose and an elk draw in one zone, and buy another general moose and general elk tag to go hunt another zone....

NEVER EVER has that been possible.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-20-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Banned

Thanks I never knew that. I thought with a treat card I could
Old 07-20-2017, 10:17 PM

The only tags that you will be able to purchase are your draw tags for moose and elk in the zone you drew the tags for. You can not purchase more tags for another zone. You can purchase your whitetail deer tag which will allow you to hunt them in the other zones. What was your priority for the tags you drew. You seem like a very new hunter and it takes many years to acquire enough priority to draw a moose tag in the area. With the amount of years it takes to draw a tag you likely should know the he regulations better by now.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You CANNOT hold a moose and an elk draw in one zone, and buy another general moose and general elk tag to go hunt another zone....

NEVER EVER has that been possible.

LC
This is correct and always has being. It's mandatory that's once Alberta Relm shows a drawn status for those tags, you cannot purchase General tags in s differebt WMU. Keeps hunters from "double dipping" on certain species.

DR
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks I never knew that. I thought with a treat card I could
You didn't exactly mention you didn't need a tag in the first place...why even enter draws?

LC
Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
You didn't exactly mention you didn't need a tag in the first place...why even enter draws?

LC
Its a very confusing thread. Seems hes making stuff up as he goes. Why would he say he applied for tags when thats not the case.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 PM

😵🔫
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Banned

I still require tags haha what the hell okay thanks anyways guys, this got way off topic and I don't need to explain myself or the laws behind the treaty. I found someone who is going to be my guide.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I still require tags haha what the hell okay thanks anyways guys, this got way off topic and I don't need to explain myself or the laws behind the treaty. I found someone who is going to be my guide.
Cool
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 AM

Thumbs down

Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:

LC
You still need permission and most landowners dislike Treaty hunters. good luck with that.

Grizz

Last edited by Morbius131; 07-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Wow

wow...new information kept popping up in this one making the it confusing at best. Seems it has been resolved.

Morb