Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Hanmore Lake?

Has anyone fished Hanmore lake? Is it worth fishing from shore, or do you need a boat? Going up there on Sat with family, I'm hoping to do a bit of fishing, just wondering if it's any good.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM

Don't think its worth fishing at all ,unless your after hammerhandle pike
Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Hanmore Lake?

It's a bit tough to shore fish but not impossible. I fished from shore a long time ago at the northern end of the campground on the east shore of the lake. There is a bay there and you can walk to the SW corner of the bay where it meets the main lake and cast from there. It's a long skinny peninsula, you can't miss it on a google map.

Fished there a couple years ago in summer (boat) and through the ice and caught smallish pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 PM

Default Hanmore

I have fished the lake for 25 + years. The last 5 years have been awful. I could catch 10lb + pike and tons of whites above 3lbs 10 years ago.

Those days are gone. Last winter I spent 4 days on it. Did not catch one whitefish and the biggest pike was 2lbs. This lake still gets a ton of nets in the winter and is done for whitefish. The big pike (biggest caught and released 25lbs was full of 6 inch whites.) Now 12" to 20" pike and you have to work for them. Was a great lake, but due to pressure of Netting and no stocking of fish it is depleted. Another Ab lake that has gone to nothing.

Tried with my 14' alum. boat in the spring and had a hard time getting a bite.

Very hard to fish off shore. As Safety D. would say it is DEAD!! Overfished by netting. This spring I brought in 2 nets that had been forgotten in winter with 2-5 rotten pike. So sad to see. I don't think you could fish from shore. Need a small boat and put some time to catch small pike.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
I have fished the lake for 25 + years. The last 5 years have been awful. I could catch 10lb + pike and tons of whites above 3lbs 10 years ago.

Those days are gone. Last winter I spent 4 days on it. Did not catch one whitefish and the biggest pike was 2lbs. This lake still gets a ton of nets in the winter and is done for whitefish. The big pike (biggest caught and released 25lbs was full of 6 inch whites.) Now 12" to 20" pike and you have to work for them. Was a great lake, but due to pressure of Netting and no stocking of fish it is depleted. Another Ab lake that has gone to nothing.

Tried with my 14' alum. boat in the spring and had a hard time getting a bite.

Very hard to fish off shore. As Safety D. would say it is DEAD!! Overfished by netting. This spring I brought in 2 nets that had been forgotten in winter with 2-5 rotten pike. So sad to see. I don't think you could fish from shore. Need a small boat and put some time to catch small pike.
x2. I used to fish hanmore 20yrs ago and was great for whites. About 8yrs ago the lake started to decline. I spoke with a biologist and they test netted the lake. They never did reply back to me for the test net results. I did ice fish the lake about 6yrs ago and only caught small jacks and tiny perch. Used to be a busy lake in the winter.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Was out there a couple of weeks ago, very slow fishing. The lake was very busy with seadoo's and wakeboard boats, etc. Might be better in the fall when the water sports crowd is done for the season. The water level is up from last year, did not see anyone fishing from the shore anywhere, the public dock would be too busy to fish from during peak dock hours. Good luck! Post your findings!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Well, was out there on Saturday. Tried my luck from shore for a few hours. I caught the smallest Pike of my life. Just a little 8" baby. Really nice lake, I spoke with a few people who have cabins out there. They say there are few spots for whitefish where it drops off to 80', and some pike in a bay, but nothing really worth the effort.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 AM

safety D is exactly right. fished it with him 25 years ago and it was a great fishery. If he says its dead good chance it is....