Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Banned

Bump , because it matters!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
Bushleague if you really know 541 and were not just hunting the roads or convenient close fringe areas then you would know that the remote area I was in is a pristine and inaccessible area to most without an Argo.

You Sir or Madame are missing the entire point of my thread! Don't think that you will ever get it, just saying.
Some of my best moose hunting.. has been where the access is as easy for the hunter...as it is the animal. Moose aren't stupid.. and will more often than not live in easier areas to get around. Leaving themselves vulnerable.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Some of my best moose hunting.. has been where the access is as easy for the hunter...as it is the animal. Moose aren't stupid.. and will more often than not live in easier areas to get around. Leaving themselves vulnerable.
I guess you missed the part where I said the friend I was with had killed many moose in the exact same area we were in, in the not so distant past. And that the ponds, lakes and swamps we went to, when he used to call there two sometimes three bulls would respond?

My comment is not meant as argumentative, only as fact. I have been hunting moose successfully for years and have killed many. In fact the combined experience of us three moose hunters on this trip is around 90 years combined.

PS: Nice moose in your avatar!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Well I went up to 541 and 542 for a cruise today never been to that part of province and I happened to see 4 moose! Pictures of 2 bulls and a cow other bull to far to get picture of
Old 11-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Well I went up to 541 and 542 for a cruise today never been to that part of province and I happened to see 4 moose! Pictures of 2 bulls and a cow other bull to far to get picture of
Lucky you! Did you fill your freezer? Would like to see them pictures~

Last edited by woodsman205; 11-01-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Banned

No I don't have a moose draw I felt like seeing new area
Old 11-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
No I don't have a moose draw I felt like seeing new area
No pictures or it never happened! Just saying

Last edited by woodsman205; 11-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
While I 100% agree with you, I don't consider this to be a terribly good strategy for the mentioned zones when hunting moose. These are literally the only hunts I use my ATV for, when it can take several days to cut a track you need to be able to cover miles. That being said, you need to have a strategy and you need to know what you or looking for. Quad tracks, boot leather, and luck alone has never got me too far up there, apparently it does happen once in awhile.

I`ll be headed into 542 tomorrow to make the most of this dusting of snow we got today, once the snow melts I`ll be reduced to stillhunting areas that have produced in the past... I`ll be needing plenty of luck then. Got plenty of time this year, I just need some SNOW!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 PM

I've hunted 542 for 20 years and have watched it turn from a zone that produced some of the biggest Bulls in the province to a zone that you can't find a fresh track in. There are many things that have contributed to this over the years, wolves, tough winters, more access, unregulated hunting and the fact that the government has completely given up on this zone and many others in northern Alberta. There's a major problem in my opinion when the government hands out more tags then the entire zone has moose!
The spots in which you've hunted this year where you require an Argo to access, are hunted hard come the winter roads which is another problem that all the expanding oilfield and logging has opened up.

I feel your pain and hate what this zone is become.....
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I've hunted 542 for 20 years and have watched it turn from a zone that produced some of the biggest Bulls in the province to a zone that you can't find a fresh track in. There are many things that have contributed to this over the years, wolves, tough winters, more access, unregulated hunting and the fact that the government has completely given up on this zone and many others in northern Alberta. There's a major problem in my opinion when the government hands out more tags then the entire zone has moose!
The spots in which you've hunted this year where you require an Argo to access, are hunted hard come the winter roads which is another problem that all the expanding oilfield and logging has opened up.

I feel your pain and hate what this zone is become.....
Scottie, in your opinion is there anything we as sportsmen and sportswomen can do about it, or are we going down the same dismal road as Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba have without making an effort to prevent it? Or is too late?

Some people have posted here that I do not understand the tag to animal ratio, I believe that they don't know what they are talking about, REALLY!

Last edited by woodsman205; 11-01-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman205 View Post
Scottie, in your opinion is there anything we as sportsmen and sportswomen can do about it, or are we going down the same dismal road as Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba have without making an effort to prevent it? Or is too late?

Some people have posted here that I do not understand the tag to animal ratio, I believe that they don't know what they are talking about, REALLY!

Simple question. Of all the moose killed (all means combined) in this zone.....how many are taken by tag holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure about 542 anymore on what the ratio is as the government hands out more and more tags and I see more and more people traveling north to where they can actually get a moose tag. With that being said the unregulated hunters are moving south to where there are more moose numbers. I hunt 350 south of slave lake and there was only 48 tags handed out this year, combined early and late season. I spend every day of the year out in this zone working and see it first hand that there has been more moose then that killed before tag holders can even start hunting sept 24. With that being said the govnt has seen the steady decrease in population and dropped tag numbers drastically, this use to be a priority 3 early season zone and now 4 years later is a 7-8 year draw. Unlike 542 & 541 they seem to be trying to manage the numbers by limiting the tags. Everyone has there own opinion on unregulated hunting and in today's politically correct world people are afraid to call it what it is. In my opinion it's a loosing battle and I'm afraid to see 350 turn into a 542 zone where you can't find a moose let alone a moose track.
What's the solution??? Again trying to be policiticaly correct.... The unregulated hunting needs to be regulated or at least accounted for so it is open to the public where they can see the impact. Number of bulls, cows, calves taken in each zone, there needs to be some accountability or the future will be dark in Northern Alberta.....
Old 11-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Simple question. Of all the moose killed (all means combined) in this zone.....how many are taken by tag holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good question sir! None by three guys on our trip and we all know what we are doing, sad, very sad!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 PM

spent a month up there last year and ran into 0 non native hunters, and 1 group of natives looking for bullwinkle. got my bull at the end of the day. very tough and rugged up there. city slickers beware nothing you can read or train for will prep you for moose hunting in 541. unless your a true bushman its very dangerous and difficult. and no matter who you are, you have to put in the time to get results.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Default moose

Guys a very simple solution. No moose or any other animal can be removed from bush without a green tag, FN included. Their price could be $5 to $10 for a green tag, but only one at a time. No longer can you shoot both cow and 2 calves. Now the biologists can have a true count of the hunting pressure and harvest in a WMU. Hell we need a tag even for a fish now surely should have one for a moose or mountain sheep.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM

agreed. IMO they could even make it free for FN so long as everything is accounted for. I don't want to take away their livelihood i know some natives from peerless/graham and the bush really is their way of life. i don't support making the locals suffer who spend their entire life in that bush just to make a few city folk happy on their weekend trip up. however the unaccounted harvesting of big game has to stop i agree with that there is some people out there abusing these privileges and it happens in all wmu's. i'd bet that wolves kill more moose in 541 than humans do. i've seen more wolves up there than humans and moose combined and the wolves always look well fed.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman93 View Post
agreed. IMO they could even make it free for FN so long as everything is accounted for. I don't want to take away their livelihood i know some natives from peerless/graham and the bush really is their way of life. i don't support making the locals suffer who spend their entire life in that bush just to make a few city folk happy on their weekend trip up. however the unaccounted harvesting of big game has to stop i agree with that there is some people out there abusing these privileges and it happens in all wmu's. i'd bet that wolves kill more moose in 541 than humans do. i've seen more wolves up there than humans and moose combined and the wolves always look well fed.
Wolf populations are nowhere what they used to be in 541, my traplines are in 541 so I spend a lot of time there, bears are the bigger issue in my opinion. I spend lots of time miles from the nearest roads and see very few moose.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

1 priority - preservation of the species

2 priority - provide for FN hunting

3 priority - sport hunting if there is sufficient excess left

Writing is on the wall.