Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Banned

Default Grouse river out of business

Why did you guys delete my thread?
I'm curious to know who else could potentially be out of money
And trying to make anyone else in the same position aware?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Very strange. On one forum, the owner has cancelled all of his ads and pulled up stakes. On the other forum, the owner posted a rifle for sale today. I don't know what's up. Their FB page disappeared yesterday. Their web-site is very sketchy and won't let you buy anything.

My advice....don't spend you money there before the truth is widely known.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:06 PM

https://okanaganedge.net/2017/03/17/...er-shuts-shop/

According to this web page:

They've closed their brick and mortar store, while the online store remains open.

Brick and mortar store is scheduled to open this fall.

Dunno if there's something else going on, but it appears you should be checking with them online, and if you have done so, do you have any corespondance that is counter to this website?

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Not much activity here on AO anymore.

I do not know all the details of common ownership, but IIRC a Grouse River (outfitters?) filed for bankruptcy? re-organization? in the USA last year.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru.../1585638-Gone?

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-grouse-river?

Looks like they are circling the bowl.

Some good prices on what looks like remaindered inventory,
Many problems reported, suggest telephone only, (poor email response reported), pay only with CC.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:13 PM

There is quite a bit on info over on the Canadiangunnutz forum about whats going on.

There you go qwert beat me to it.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Not much activity here on AO anymore.

I do not know all the details of common ownership, but IIRC a Grouse River (outfitters?) filed for bankruptcy? re-organization? in the USA last year.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru.../1585638-Gone?

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-grouse-river?

Looks like they are circling the bowl.

Some good prices on what looks like remaindered inventory,
Many problems reported, suggest telephone only, (poor email response reported), pay only with CC.

Good Luck, YMMV.
For those who don't have accounts at CGN, can you please post something other than links, as non members can't access CGN.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
For those who don't have accounts at CGN, can you please post something other than links, as non members can't access CGN.
The links I posted were to the Grouse River sponsored section of CGN which is open to non-members and does not require log-in.
(I suspect that if GR still had working PR staff, they would have shut it down or locked it for open posting.)

More information available with Google.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Default Grouse River - Out of business as per Okanagan Edge

Posted mid afternoon, on Okanagan Edge's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OkanaganEdge and https://okanaganedge.net/:

"A confluence of tough competition, the weak Canadian Dollar and technical issues all conspired to put Grouse River out of business." https://okaaganedge.net/2017/07/07/g...iver-shutting/

Last edited by bwinchg; 07-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Oh! I'm so heart broken. NOT. I buy all my stuff from Flys Etc, in High River. Best service, best products and best prices.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default Grouse river

I'm pretty sure flys doesn't carry gunwerks or Christensen rifles... grouse river was a good store, they had a lot of high end hard to find merchandise.. just bummed out I got shafted on a carbon fiber stock I ordered
Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 PM

Yes they are closed for good. Some people waiting for their last orders and will get them. Only a few from management still in the back getting that sorted out and finalized.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Oh! I'm so heart broken. NOT. I buy all my stuff from Flys Etc, in High River. Best service, best products and best prices.
Bought 5K primers there a couple weeks ago. Great store!!
Bought a Swaro scope from Grouse river months ago and it took them almost 2 months to get me the scope after I gave them my card. I won't be buying there again
Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 PM

I attempted to order items a few times, but each time they didn't have the item in stock, even though the site said they did. Since then, I never even bothered looking at their site.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 AM

Y'all need to use your own judgement! If I owned the store and left everyone holding their D### , then I would expect to close the doors.Probably safe to assume at this point!!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Grouse river were the only ones who stocked brass for my 7LRM. I might have an issue getting it from gunwerx.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM

They never even responded to my emails, so I just gave up on them. I went to prophet river, Clay will even respond to my emails at 11pm, on a Sunday, that I respect!

Kevin
Old 07-08-2017, 01:54 PM

Always a shame to see a store close. I looked at their site a few times, didn't like what I saw for pricing. BC does seems to live in a different world pricewise, lots of valid reasons for it, but, I find they are usually high priced across the board. Not surprised to see that they lost their shorts trying to compete on the internet and run a bigger business than the local area could/would support, once the firearms industry settled down in the last couple of years.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post

They'd have to go some o be better than Prophet River. We're so lucky to have that place close.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 PM

It's been no secret that grouse river is updating there physical store they have been saying that since last year. I have ordered a lot of stuff through them this year primers spotters and scopes to name a few things. They have always been prompt with responding to my emails and it's usually Brett that responds. I also use prophet river and wolverine but I found the prophet river web sight to be horrible and clunky and grouse has always been hungry to price match or beat anyone shipping in even over the local Calgary stores. Over all my experience with them as been good and as a web based outfitter I would continue to use them as for the physical location it's a long way from Calgary and I will likely never go to there store.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Never bought from GR as they never had anything I couldnt get from the small store two blocks away and WSS was 25 minutes one way...
Anyways, they made no secret they where closing the storefront and going internet or so they claimed last fall over on the canadian beaver site.
As for comparing Prophet River to GR...PR beat them and continues to provide a stellar web page...
Clunky, how does that work in the internet?
No need to bash GR as they have done it themselves and if they owe you product call your CC and ask for a charge back.
Rob
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 AM

Interesting to hear all of the negative reviews on GR. Bought a bunch of Sitka from them a couple years ago and they exceeded my expectations.

Also used PR, buying a .223 from them a few years ago - overall happy with the experience. They forgot to put the unit number on my address so shipping was delayed as it got "returned to sender" but they made it right in the end.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
Interesting to hear all of the negative reviews on GR. Bought a bunch of Sitka from them a couple years ago and they exceeded my expectations.

Also used PR, buying a .223 from them a few years ago - overall happy with the experience. They forgot to put the unit number on my address so shipping was delayed as it got "returned to sender" but they made it right in the end.
I guess when you deal wth the public you get good/bad reviews...which is always one side of a complaint we only hear...unfortunately some jump all over that and run with it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM

I found GR a little more exspensive. I did t realize they price matched. I probably would of done more business there.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default I liked them

I liked them and recommended them to mahy people
Sad to see them go
Was the best place to get high end hard to find items
Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I attempted to order items a few times, but each time they didn't have the item in stock, even though the site said they did. Since then, I never even bothered looking at their site.
Exactly. No loss whatsoever.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

http://www.grouseriver.com/

I have never purchased from them,but did use the site when searching.
They have contributed to this site as sponsors and appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Buyer beware

I placed an $1500 order on their web site July 16th.
It was charged to my credit card right away, but it's not listed as shipped and nothing has arrived.
I was charged for expedited shipping; 3-6 day delivery.

Emails are not returned.
No one answers the phone and no way to leave a message.

If it does not show up soon I'll have to try and get my money back thru the credit card company Bummer

Buyer Beware
Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Don't wait. Call the credit card company, tell them you ordered, paid and no goods. Let them open the file and submit for reversal of the payment. If you wait too long your odds drop a lot.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't wait. Call the credit card company, tell them you ordered, paid and no goods. Let them open the file and submit for reversal of the payment. If you wait too long your odds drop a lot.
Good advise. If they have taken your money that quickly and failed to deliver the goods, don't return calls nor provide means to contact them. Well, that pretty well puts all of the good previous reports in the toilet. Take the money and run ????

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-05-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Default wish i had seen this a little earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I just seen this yesterday (not sure how I missed it?), I ordered and made a down payment on Christensen Arms Ridgeline in late spring. Sure enough I emailed and tried to call them but all I got was full voicemail boxes. I called he CC company and am getting the claim and dispute filed, its looking good to get my money back. I did a couple google searches and it seems like I'm lucky I used a CC. I called Christensen Arms to be sure and they are out money from grouse river as well, they told me I'm not the first to call and that one guy paid in full with cash for a summit (about $6000) and is likely SOL. I feel bad for him, wasn't expecting this from an established business...