Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Default Skinner sights

Where can I buy skinner peep sights for my marlin 1894?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Banned

http://www.skinnersights.com/1894_marlin_33.html
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Where can I buy skinner peep sights for my marlin 1894?
I have Skinners on a 45-70. There are a lot better options. They are probably my least favourite sight I have tried. I would sell you mine cheap if I could get the rear sight off.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Williams is the best IMO.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Agreed. Them or the Lyman are both far superior. I have a couple of each and like them far better.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I had the Williams on my 336 and ended up getting rid of it because I Didn't like it. To each their own I guess
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I had the Williams on my 336 and ended up getting rid of it because I Didn't like it. To each their own I guess
Was it the FP(side mount) or that aboration that goes in the scope mount holes?

What didn't you like?

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

If you're looking for feedback on skinner sights you may want to check out the Marlin Owners forum. They get discussed in scores of threads with most people speaking highly of them. Basically you'll get feedback from many not just a few. I have them on one of my 45-70's. I think they work great. There is a bit of science to their set up though.

To each their own and everybody's eyes are different but I find them surprising accurate out to 150yrds or so.
If you can look through a hole and put a bead or a post on a target with good focus you should be good to go.

Lots of good information on front sight height calculation and set up and design on Skinner's website also.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 PM

I bought a lyman peep i love it . Easy to adjust
Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Where can a guy get the Lyman or Williams sights? I had a Winchester m94 with a Williams and loved the site, I thought something smaller that would mount to the top of my marlin might suit it better. what exactly is not liked about the skinner sights?
Old 07-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Where can a guy get the Lyman or Williams sights? I had a Winchester m94 with a Williams and loved the site, I thought something smaller that would mount to the top of my marlin might suit it better. what exactly is not liked about the skinner sights?
It's the same sight for a Winchester as the Marlin. Except the aboration model of Williams that mounts to the top scope holes, that model sucks big time.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Banned

[QUOTE. what exactly is not liked about the skinner sights?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your requirements are. If you're looking for a hunting sight they're tough to beat. Simple, compact and enough adjustment for those purposes.

If you're into target shooting and require fine adjustment with scaling, there may be better options out there.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 PM

I have the skinner winged peep on my 1894. Ordered directly from them, great service and I really like the sight on the 44
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 PM

I always worry about bumping the rear skinner sight globe into something and shearing it off, seems like it could be better protected to me.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
I have the skinner winged peep on my 1894. Ordered directly from them, great service and I really like the sight on the 44
+1. Andy skinner has awesome customer service. I emailed him on a sunday about a sight for my 444 and he got back to me right away. Shipped first thing on Monday and touched base with me a couple weeks later to make sure I was happy with his product.

Can't really compare the sight to any others but I like the look and it works well for me.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I always worry about bumping the rear skinner sight globe into something and shearing it off, seems like it could be better protected to me.
If you bump your rifle hard enough to shear the rear sight off, your rifle's got bigger problems than a broken globe. Be thankful you didn't have a scope on because it would likely be toast if you hit it hard enough to break a rear skinner sight shaft.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
If you bump your rifle hard enough to shear the rear sight off, your rifle's got bigger problems than a broken globe. Be thankful you didn't have a scope on because it would likely be toast if you hit it hard enough to break a rear skinner sight shaft.

Have you actually seen the rear globe on the Skinner sight? I'm talking about the one on my Chiappa Kodiak, the globe is mounted on a skinny little threaded shank of a smaller diameter than a scope mount screw. And it's attached to a 9 lb robust rifle that's made for bumping around or being in a saddle scabbard. Believe me, it could be accidentally dropped or bumped into a tree or something similar and shear the rear sight off with absolutely no damage to the rest of the rifle. Most scoped rifles I have could take far more damage than this sight could and having said that, I'm normally very careful with my rifles but I've been around the block enough times to know that stuff happens! For the odd trip to the range this is a great sight but for daily use it's too delicate.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Have you actually seen the rear globe on the Skinner sight? I'm talking about the one on my Chiappa Kodiak, the globe is mounted on a skinny little threaded shank of a smaller diameter than a scope mount screw. And it's attached to a 9 lb robust rifle that's made for bumping around or being in a saddle scabbard. Believe me, it could be accidentally dropped or bumped into a tree or something similar and shear the rear sight off with absolutely no damage to the rest of the rifle. Most scoped rifles I have could take far more damage than this sight could and having said that, I'm normally very careful with my rifles but I've been around the block enough times to know that stuff happens! For the odd trip to the range this is a great sight but for daily use it's too delicate.
Actually I do own a couple of skinner peep sight set ups. I've never seen the durability of the rear peep as an issue but you're entitled to your opinion. If you're that concerned about shearing it off you may want to change it out to a "winged" rear peep and it would give you the protection you are looking for.
I'm sure Andy could help you out in finding one to fit your model of rifle.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the referral but I have some sources of my own.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 PM

I have never worried about the robustness of Skinner sights. They are very well made and of top notch materials. I don't think you could accidentally shear off the rear globe without doing a lot of damage to the gun. Hitting just the rear globe hard enough to shear it would likely shear or damage any other open, peep or scope sight too.

What I don't like about the Skinner is the need for a much taller front site, it catches, the very limited vertical and horizontal adjustment and the fact that adjustments are not repeatable. For example on a Lyman I can sight in for 100 yards and have 200 and 300 yard sight lines marked that are easy to adjust to. I also don't care for the lack of options in Apertures.

If you just want a sight set at 50 or 100 yards for close quarters use then a properly set-up the Skinner would not be a bad choice, but it won't do anything more than a Lyman and in some cases not near as much.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have never worried about the robustness of Skinner sights. They are very well made and of top notch materials. I don't think you could accidentally shear off the rear globe without doing a lot of damage to the gun. Hitting just the rear globe hard enough to shear it would likely shear or damage any other open, peep or scope sight too.

What I don't like about the Skinner is the need for a much taller front site, it catches, the very limited vertical and horizontal adjustment and the fact that adjustments are not repeatable. For example on a Lyman I can sight in for 100 yards and have 200 and 300 yard sight lines marked that are easy to adjust to. I also don't care for the lack of options in Apertures.

If you just want a sight set at 50 or 100 yards for close quarters use then a properly set-up the Skinner would not be a bad choice, but it won't do anything more than a Lyman and in some cases not near as much.
I agree, they're not a long range target site by any means, but for hunting out to 200 yards or so they work just fine. Repeatability is not an issue for hunting, just site in at 150 or so and hold over or low as required, similar to what you'd do with a scope without adjustable turrets just at a slightly shorter distance.

With respect to front sight height I would say it depends on the rifle. On my Marlin CBA with a Marbles 0.500 factory front sight it worked just fine for a 150 zero.

Not sure what you mean by lack of aperture options, but they do come in 4 or 5 different diameters.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I bought my Williams FPS direct from Williams. What a huge improvement over the semi Buckhorns.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM

You can also order them through Brownelle's. Sometimes direct from Williams or Lyman is cheaper, sometimes Brownelle's is. Worth checking on price and shipping with both. Wholesale in North Edm also usually has the Lyman for the 94 in stock.