Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Default Chainsaw Chain

What is everyone's thoughts on filing down the depth gauges on a chainsaw chain to use for cutting holes in the ice? Obviously, the chain would only be good for ice but I'm not sure if there's a downside to doing it.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Well, bar oil in the lake, and water in your bar would be likely considered downsides. That being said, my dad used to use his stihl in this manner when I was a kid, and I know people that still do in their "permanent" shacks on the lake back home
Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM
Banned

Curious as to why you would want to change depth on chain, or were you meaning bar length, Dave ..haha. It's more the rakers that determine depth. Regardless, my saw cuts plenty good enough for me, with no alterations... When the saw won't do it anymore, as was the case not long ago, out comes the ice auger. With it, we find water, although sometimes not enough.
And, oh yeah, now as trappers I suppose we will not be allowed a chainsaw on the ice for fear of oil contamination....sweeet.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:34 PM

I heard instead of chain oil guys have used vegetable oil not sure if that works, maybe some here knows??
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Curious as to why you would want to change depth on chain, or were you meaning bar length, Dave ..haha. It's more the rakers that determine depth. Regardless, my saw cuts plenty good enough for me, with no alterations... When the saw won't do it anymore, as was the case not long ago, out comes the ice auger. With it, we find water, although sometimes not enough.
And, oh yeah, now as trappers I suppose we will not be allowed a chainsaw on the ice for fear of oil contamination....sweeet.
I call them the rakers too, Doug, but I wasn't sure if most people did so I used the proper name (I think?) of "depth gauge". I'm just wondering if I could make life a bit easier for myself since I'll be cutting a few holes this week.

I use the special biodegradable bar oil in my saw so it's not an issue.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post

I heard instead of chain oil guys have used vegetable oil not sure if that works, maybe some here knows??
Heard that before too, specifically for cutting ice-shack/fishing holes.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM

Filling your rakers is dangerous if not done proper,plus you can cut ice all day long without oil,water keeps the chain from burning up which is all oil does,all kinds of fancy cutting tools reqiure water cooling even diamond drill bits,just flush your oil tank with hot water once empty.plus it will clean and crap in your oil tank,but don't fill the rakers down to much because if you forget it will bit into the wood,kick back on you or even snap the chain if it has lots of power is in that saw,i put up ice in ice shacks when I was younger with just long chain and bar,just remember to refill with oil once done so nothing in your oil tank rusts.IT's a wet job so wear rain pants on top of your cutting pants,plus eye protection,. plus the oil will stay in the hole on top getting into your fishing line and reel,number one rule is long enough bar .They do all kinds of stuff at winter carnivals with saws to make ice sculptures,no oil

Last edited by JD848; 03-19-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Look into a skip tooth chain for your saw. If you have the ponies nothing does ice faster.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Look into a skip tooth chain for your saw. If you have the ponies nothing does ice faster.
Thanks for the advice. I went to the Stihl dealer yesterday but unfortunately they don't make the chain for my 260 Stihl. Not the end of the world as this is merely something that I was wondering about in an attempt to make life easier for myself. I'll try filing the rakers down on an older chain and see how that works. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks for the advice. I went to the Stihl dealer yesterday but unfortunately they don't make the chain for my 260 Stihl. Not the end of the world as this is merely something that I was wondering about in an attempt to make life easier for myself. I'll try filing the rakers down on an older chain and see how that works. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
place in calgary will make the skip chain for you, I think it is also called a Rip chain used for cutting boards from logs. pitch of chain might be an issue
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
place in calgary will make the skip chain for you, I think it is also called a Rip chain used for cutting boards from logs. pitch of chain might be an issue
My saw isn't big enough for the chain size that Stihl makes. Usually guys that want skip tooth have big old heavy duty saws for cutting through huge trees. Not much of a market for skip tooth chain on smaller saws like mine I guess.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Cutting ice

I have a old Husky 61 I use for cutting ice....does a nice job.It has a 32inch bar with ripping chain and the rakers filled down.It makes nice square hole.No chain lube needed.I wore rubber bibs while cutting The bar tip was handy for the runs.Hope this helps.Zeph
Old 03-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
LOL. There's a pic of sled sunk in Sheep creek at least once a year in the AO magazine.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 AM

Here's what you need for cutting through the ice in February my buddies new toy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM

She looks fun...

Nice saw.