Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Calling all "Beaver Hunters"

The Argentines need help!

Argentina plans to cull 100,000 beavers in Tierra del Fuego
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37973825
Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM

That sounds like a great adventure for a single guy! I wonder if the pay would be worth it?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:39 PM

Man thats alot of beaver
Old 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Saw this topic on a documentary and it was scary how much damage they had done , even been seen crossing saltwater to reach other islands . I believe they were originally transplanted there so a fur industry could start .. fell thru when price dropped and now they are faced with a similar dilemna as the yellowstone wolf guys .. all fun and games til it hits the fan .
Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Best of luck to them.

Anybody who has tried to eliminate a beaver problem knows it's no simple matter.

The first several are easy, then each one after that gets progressively harder to kill.
Worse still beaver left unmolested have a limited birth rate due to their social structure but that structure breaks down when you kill the dominant female.

A stable colony has a breeding pair and their offspring. The parents do not allow the younger ones to breed but if you kill the dominant female the dominant male will breed all the females in that colony which of course leads to a population explosion.

A beaver that has a bullet in him or a bullet burn may go completely nocturnal and will surface in cover so you can't see him but he can see you, day or night.

I worked as beaver control man for the county for a while. Even with years of trapping experience and traps to use I found getting that last beaver or two very challenging and sometimes even impossible in a practical sense.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 PM

I've been down their twice. I hit the fur shops in Bariloche and saw some local beavers made into coats. Didn't look as good as ours Also lots of local fox made into garments