Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Default Wood heat

Heated with wood for years before we ever heard of chainsaws
Old 10-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keg, I grew up in Peace Country with wood heat as well. A good story, my father caught older brother with a 5 cent fire cracker, in those days like a small stick of dynamite. My Dad was so mad grabbed it and threw in air tight heater to get rid of it. It could have blown heater apart but lucky only top lid blew open!
ROFL That could have been exciting, those Air Tights were little more then large pop cans with a hinged lid. A big enough fire cracker could split one open like a Pillsbury Doughboy can.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Default Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I found an old drip type oil heater at an auction and used that to keep the chill off in the cabin.

Costs just pennies a day and runs for a few of weeks on five gallons of diesel.
Mind you I don't try to keep the cabin warm with it, only keep it above freezing, so most of the time it's not on when I'm in.

I only fire it up when I go to bed or when I leave for the day.

I can't see myself buying wood for my fire, anywhere, anytime. But I do understand that down south there may be far less wood available to many trappers.

Still, I would go with the drip heater if I could find one. Mine cost me $5.00 but they are hard to find these days.

Drip style Oil heater

Down there you might have more luck finding an old pump house heater, it would do the same thing but they run on gas, propane or NG. they can be converted to either.

I have a couple of the gas type heaters lying around. I intend to install one in my porch but the other one or two will likely never get used, at least not by me.

Tell me more about these drip style oil heaters. I remember them from when I was a kid but I don't know much about them. Can they get hot enough to heat a wallntent? Do they create a lot of soot that would land on the tent?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Tell me more about these drip style oil heaters. I remember them from when I was a kid but I don't know much about them. Can they get hot enough to heat a wallntent? Do they create a lot of soot that would land on the tent?
I use a H45 multi fuel military stove for my skinning shack, Its 20×24. 20 liters if fuel will last 3 days on low and will keep it 15 degrees Celsius. My shed is insulated very well. There is a couple for sale on the buy and sell right now in the hunting items for sale forum.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:00 PM

I am thinking my logs most likely won't do what I am wanting but I figured it was worth a discussion and a test to see what they can do. I think I will look into these oil burning things. Awesome stuff guys
Old 10-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

The drip type heaters I've used could keep a tent warm down to maybe twenty below, for most wall tents.
Mind you, that is my definition of warm, some might not consider it warm if the corners are not warm. That is not going to happen with any tent with any heater at twenty below.

They can produce soot if one feeds them to much fuel but I doubt it would make enough to wind up on the tent. It would build up in the pipe though.

I wouldn't recommend them for use in a tent anyway. They are not meant to be a mobile heat source. The float bowl and fuel tank, if the tank is attached, would have to be drained for each move.
Plus they are heavy for the size of them because they are brick lined, they have to be, it's part of the combustion system.

Getting them to run right is a function of leveling and carb setting, which could change with each move.
And there are much smaller lighter alternatives for tent use.

Like a catalytic heater.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-30-2016, 03:51 AM

Looking on Youtube they look to be very finicky when using. I imagine a lot of maintenance as well?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Looking on Youtube they look to be very finicky when using. I imagine a lot of maintenance as well?

Finicky yes. But once you get them set, and learn how to light them, they are as trouble free as they come.

No filter to plug up, no pump to fail, now thermal coupler to burn out.

They are after all, little more then a stock waterer full of diesel and a garbage can lined with fire bricks. Maintenance requirements are next to zero.

George Bernard Shaw