Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 PM

Default Drug Addiction & Death

Just venting anonymously here.

I just learned of a relatives death, dude was 28. I've actually never met this cousin as he was born and raised in the USA to a father that was the family black sheep, accordingly we didn't visit. The father of the deceased is an addict who uses anything he can get his hands on, prescription drugs and whatever from the street. I wonder how long he'll make it after this? I fully expect him to binge in his mourning and follow suit shortly. It may sound callous, but its an eventuality that I think would be better for society. Being that these two are/were both seasoned addicts I'm suspecting a bad dose, such as a fentanyl OD or such. Some example this cousin set, influencing his kid to follow him into the same dead-end lifestyle . I really wonder if he's placing the blame on himself where it rightfully lies? My great uncle (whom I respect immensely) is the father/ grandfather to this motley duo and he's been supporting them financially basically since the elder losers birth. My uncle is a wealthy man (self-made) as well as a WWII veteran and it pains me to see these leeches suckling at his bank account for as long as they have been. My great uncles daughter is a fabulous woman and very successful in her own right, it would be nice to see her freed from having to administer this losers allowance from my uncles estate when his time on earth comes to pass. Sometimes the apple falls really, really far from the tree.

I have chatted with both these fellows, they had set up a fake Facebook page for my great uncle, when I saw my uncles profile I sent a friend request with a message, these two twits sent me friend requests within minutes of my having done so (we all share the same surname). That didn't seem fishy at all...... A call to my cousin (their sister/aunt) about their strange activity explained that weirdness. She didn't want to say much about the two in PM so she called me instead as she had suspicions that her brother (an IT guy) had installed spyware in both her and their Dads computers.

It sounds as though the wife/mother of these two isn't quite as bad as them, she has actually communicated back to my cousin at times to not send any money, her attempt to get her two men to sober up.

Feel free to share your 'relative of the year' stories. We only judge you by your friends and political parties here, not by your kinfolk
Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles good sir.

I don't really have a relative of the year story. I guess it may be one of those "if you can't figure out who the black sheep is, it's probably you" stories!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 PM

Its not remotely a trouble of mine, though I do sympathize immensely towards my great uncle & cousin who've had to contend with these fellows forever. It would be accurate to call my uncle an enabler in the matter considering his financial support of them, but that's his decision to make. His money, his kid, his choice. He just deserves better is all, he's 93 and still living independently and his grandkid just OD'd.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM

edited
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
edited
Now I'm curious, PM if you wish.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Now I'm curious, PM if you wish.
Just comment that upon reflection didn't really add anything and wasn't entertaining or funny. Sometimes I hit the "submit reply" button first and think later. Yeah Yeah, I know some of you think that happens every time. LOL
Old 05-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just comment that upon reflection didn't really add anything and wasn't entertaining or funny. Sometimes I hit the "submit reply" button first and think later. Yeah Yeah, I know some of you think that happens every time. LOL
Faster to the edit than Taber's IT guy?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM

as harsh as it sounds hopefully his death will serve as reminder for other people, many years ago I lost a friend to Heroin, he had the world at his feet, just a tragic waste.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:52 PM

I had a good buddy who rented a room at my previous house back when I was a bachelor that I wound up kicking out from his coke habit, he was one of my best pals too. He had a buddy who died when we were all 32, his death was diabetes related, but his partying ways sure had a role in it. I wasn't about to put up with any of that crap.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Here's my story. My mother is the equivalent of the addict father you tell of. I am thankful she left when I was young. Substance use / abuse is the sole responsibility of the one who chooses to use. Sounds like the old man is reaping what he sowed. The quicker he ODs, the better off society will be. That's harsh, but it is also reality.

Just be thankful these distant kin live far away and they ain't your problem
Old 05-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Here's my story. My mother is the equivalent of the addict father you tell of. I am thankful she left when I was young. Substance use / abuse is the sole responsibility of the one who chooses to use. Sounds like the old man is reaping what he sowed. The quicker he ODs, the better off society will be. That's harsh, but it is also reality.

Just be thankful these distant kin live far away and they ain't your problem
If your son or daughter was an addict, would you be hoping for their early demise for the sake of society?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:44 PM

I have an aunt who is an addict..and a waste of skin. Luckily her two daughters so far seem to be on a different path. I no longer consider her my family.i had friends that abuse drugs aswell...they areNo longer my friends...close family would be a different tune but if you choose that path I won't be their for you..I have a family of my own to look after. I have no patience for people willingly ruining their lives
Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
If your son or daughter was an addict, would you be hoping for their early demise for the sake of society?
The son in this story is dead. The old man sounds like a scumbag, who at the very least, by his example, and likely brutal parenting, in a direct way played a role in his son's untimely demise. The son is dead and gone. That's unfortunate. The old addict is likely a drain on society, and ain't never gonna change.

Make of it what you want. At a certain point people aren't gonna change. Many people like Caber described for us, bring nothing but death - both figuratively and literally - everywhere they go.

I stand by my words because I lived in almost that exact same home that Caber has described. I think I mentioned that in the post you quoted. What I didn't write is that in addition to my junkie mother, I also buried my father when he was 49 after he died of acute ethanol poisoning. Figure out from there what my upbringing was like. While everyone has a story, I would bet loads of cash that I have walked in these shoes a touch further than you.

This has nothing to do with my kids or yours for that matter.

Last edited by sns2; 05-26-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Perhaps I could have worded that better. My hopes are for a quick resolution to the suffering of both the addict and those who's lives they negatively affect, if it's by cutting off his income and seeing if he sinks or swims that's at least an honest try. If he swims it's a better outcome but I'm not the type to bat an eyelash for those that sink. Perspectives vary and that's fine, better people than myself can knock themselves out helping these types; I fall somewhere between the two, neither a junkie nor a saint. I can say without doubt or qualification that my son won't ever be like that so the hypothetical question is a non-starter. Also, I'm talking about my own family rather than anyone else's, so I'm not making a blanket statement for everyone to go out and euthanize their family addicts.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-26-2016 at 05:31 PM.