Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Telus easy roam in Varadero Cuba ?

Easy Roam
Travel with your monthly rate plan and use your phone just like you do at home in the US and 150+ International countries.

Telus suggests leaving the phone on airplane then switch the phone on $12 per 24 hour period you can enable or disable at any time.
All I would need is one day or maybe two.

Has anybody used this option at Starfish Varadero or anywhere just wondering about additional charges and coverage.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:28 PM

I've been in Greece since the 11th. Works just fine. No extra charges other than the $12 a day.
Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member Life Member
Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM

dont want to sound like a smart att but when go places like that , my phone stays home . most places have a " business center" where you can check emails if you are so inclined .
Old 10-20-2019, 01:03 PM

I think almost all resorts including airport, etc have pay per hour cards for wifi. You use it and disconnect so you don't burn up minutes. We had unlimited cards as part of our package otherwise it's 1 CUC per hour.

I brought my TMobile US phone mostly for pictures and did not have data turned on. I'll check my bill but I don't believe I was charged anything for wifi calling as I both called and texted to see how the boys were doing.

Get your phone unlocked if it isn't already by your provider (it will be free) and turn on wifi calling on your phone. It works great everywhere I've used it in the US and doesn't count towards your minutes.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
I think almost all resorts including airport, etc have pay per hour cards for wifi. You use it and disconnect so you don't burn up minutes. We had unlimited cards as part of our package otherwise it's 1 CUC per hour.

I brought my TMobile US phone mostly for pictures and did not have data turned on. I'll check my bill but I don't believe I was charged anything for wifi calling as I both called and texted to see how the boys were doing.

Get your phone unlocked if it isn't already by your provider (it will be free) and turn on wifi calling on your phone. It works great everywhere I've used it in the US and doesn't count towards your minutes.
^^^^^^
This. With all the free VOIP/Wifi capability why would anyone pay Telus or anyone else extra charges to be able to phone someone from out of country. Unless you need data for something specific where there is no WIFI the WIFI option for Email, Internet and phone calling really is the way to go.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
dont want to sound like a smart att but when go places like that , my phone stays home . most places have a " business center" where you can check emails if you are so inclined .
I dont think he was asking if you wanted to be personally disconnected he was asking specific questions. Some people may have family they care about or for whatever reason have their phone with them.

I would ask Telus about that personally. *611

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post

Good tip I couldn't get my head around phoning on Wi-fi

I'm not a phone guy by any means just want to make periodic contact my house sitter doesn't do email or texting.
I sent one picture by text from San Diego it bounced off a Mexican tower cost $17 after that I was Leary about using a cell phone anywhere.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Just make sure your phone is in airplane mode with wifi turned on. I set it before I left so it wouldn't try to roam. I was surprised it worked in Cuba. I noticed big Cisco wireless access points everywhere. All the Cuban people use these wireless cards. The are pretty ingenious. They try to send txts, etc with wireless off then turn it on to only long enough to let the messages go through and disconnect. They don't waste minutes typing or thinking about what to type.

I brought an old iPhone 5 that was updated with the latest IOS update it could take and checked off the box to enable wifi calling. It's a travel phone so if it got lost or damaged its no big deal. I got a free TMoble pay as you go SIM card to put in it. It's 3$ per month for the TMobile account that lets me keep my phone number with texts and calls at 10 cents per minute with 30 texts and 30 minutes free per month.

I'm going to buy a $100 phone for travel and do the same. The old iPhone 5 is showing it's age but still works.

Last edited by Rdamours; 10-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Easy Roam
Travel with your monthly rate plan and use your phone just like you do at home in the US and 150+ International countries.

Telus suggests leaving the phone on airplane then switch the phone on $12 per 24 hour period you can enable or disable at any time.

Has anybody used this option at Starfish Varadero or anywhere just wondering about additional charges and coverage.
I used the easy roam feature a few weeks ago when I was in Portland. Same thing but it was $7/day. Just left my phone on. Used it like I did when I was at home. Cost me $28 for the 4 days.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pale_Rider View Post
I've been in Greece since the 11th. Works just fine. No extra charges other than the $12 a day.
Sorry for the hijack but just curious where you are in Greece. Got married last weekend and was given a week anywhere we want for our honeymoon. Greece is up near the top of the list.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:26 PM

Good to know I hear horror stories of roaming charges I always leave mine on airplane unless I want to use it.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM

I've used my Telus cell across Cuba, service was sketchy in the NE portion of the island.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Good to know I hear horror stories of roaming charges I always leave mine on airplane unless I want to use it.
One of our guys had his on while travelling all over the world. When he came back into work he had like an $3000 bill for roaming and data charges. They asked him where he was and he said where wasn't I. The corporate account got negotiated down to $600
Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
^^^^^^
This. With all the free VOIP/Wifi capability why would anyone pay Telus or anyone else extra charges to be able to phone someone from out of country. Unless you need data for something specific where there is no WIFI the WIFI option for Email, Internet and phone calling really is the way to go.
Phone service , like everything else in Cuba is sketchy. The hotel computers were out of service. I don't even have a plan or connection for my travel phone, I just connected to WiFi and texted. Don't know about free WiFi, paid the 1 CUC per hour.

Grizz
Old 10-20-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I dont think he was asking if you wanted to be personally disconnected he was asking specific questions. Some people may have family they care about or for whatever reason have their phone with them.

I would ask Telus about that personally. *611
fair enough , but i have heard so many horror stories from people who thought that they had the roaming thing all figured out and get home to a whopping bill . just thought i'd throw it out there .
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
fair enough , but i have heard so many horror stories from people who thought that they had the roaming thing all figured out and get home to a whopping bill . just thought i'd throw it out there .
Good point.
When I travel and set up a roaming pass I get them to email me a copy of the deal if they decide to try me on for size later. I find it more beneficial to research prior and have ammunition as opposed to fight after.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM

Default Fishing

I know a guide that can set up a one day outing fishing trip out of Varadero for either river tarpon 10-80 lb or bonefish.

Pm me if interested. Great guy speaks great English
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Easy Roam

I've used easy roam when I've traveled through Europe and needed access to the internet outside of wifi areas. No other charges on top of the $12 for 24 hours. As mentioned though, cellular is spotty in Cuba.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've used roaming in many countries. Some countries cost a bit less. Only thing I'll caution on Cuba is that their cell network can be pretty spotty. Your phone may not work the day you need it so plan for a back up option in case things are bad that day.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM

I used the Telus Easy Roam for 20 days while in Colombia this spring. $240 bill but convenience outweighed the cost as I made a few calls home and received a few calls from friends while I was down there plus the feeling of knowing I had a means of communication if needed was nice.

YMMV
Old 10-21-2019, 05:52 PM

I remember a time when making phone calls was easy those days are over,

option one
Telus easy roam
Good option however cell coverage is iffy at best it might not work at a resort on the far of the Varadero peninsula

option 2
Unlock my phone and buy a SIM card with a plan, a pain for just a few calls. I also read if use a Cuban card I would need a micro SIM card cutter to fit in my Iphone.

option 3
Use my landline calling card, yes they do still exist all you do is enter 40 numbers in sequence from a phone booth, still trying to decipher the instructions.

option 4
Train my house sitter to use email, this might be the best option however it would be like trying to shoot pool with a rope or herd cats. Failing that she can phone someone email proficient to contact me.

I can check email on the hotels Wi-fi for a few CUC and use the calling card as a last resort.

Thanks all for the input
Old 10-22-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Easy Roam

I left mine at home. I wouldn’t leave my phone by the beach, or the pool or the bar so better without it. I took an old iPod and bought WiFi at the resort in varadero to let family know we got their and again later that we were still alive. I also made a throw away account to email because I didn’t trust the WiFi to be secure so I sent my parents an email and that was it.

Also don’t forget a couple $5CND bills, your bus driver will probably be selling beer on the bus, if he wants $5 for two offer him $5 for 3, he’ll take it after you mention the free bar at your hotel in an hour.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Easy Roam

Have not used this in Cuba, but several times in Mexico. When we arrive ( my wife is on the same plan) we get a text saying welcome to Mexico easy roam is active. Welcome back to Canada when we get home. Take it off airplane mode and good to go for 24 hours. Just make sure to go back to airplane mode before 24 hours is up or you pay another day.