Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Snow shoes

Doing a late season hunt in the mountains and contemplating snowshoes..what’s everyone like an use?!!looking into this before I purchase.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure where you're located, but I've rented snowshoes from the U of C's Outdoor Center. Might give you a chance to get a better idea of what you want by trying them out before you buy.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 PM

My wife and I use MSR lightnings, the newer ones are nicer as you can add extensions to them. I find them better on packed snow than soft snow but they are great on ice as they have a very aggressive tooth pattern.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:58 PM

I use MSR Evo Accent, pretty much the “fanciest” snowshoes on the market, and have been using them for a few years now. They are great shoes, but definitely not great for hunting, in my opinion. They are noisy! They are pretty aggressive, like the poster above mentioned, and will get you on the summit faster, but they are not quite. I would go with something more classic, something that does not have that many squeaky plastic parts. And definitely something cheaper if it is only hunting you need them for. I rarely use mine for hunting. To be precise, I use them to get where I am going and then take them off and use existing game trails for moving around, or something like that. I do get quite a bit of use from them through out the winter though.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 PM

I have 5 different brands/ styles from the new plastic types to the wood traditional. Without going into.actual shape/ size/ style of shoe. I would stay away from the new plastic/ metal types as they are noisy. Very noisy. Traditional wood shoes are the way to go. The surplus white ones found at princess auto ar not too bad for noise either and are way cheaper than wood.

A set of crampons are great to have along for icy slopes
Old 10-23-2018, 02:41 PM

I would look on Kijiji for something like that.

My parents bought some last year and they remain unused, I suspect they aren't alone.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have 5 different brands/ styles from the new plastic types to the wood traditional. Without going into.actual shape/ size/ style of shoe. I would stay away from the new plastic/ metal types as they are noisy. Very noisy. Traditional wood shoes are the way to go. The surplus white ones found at princess auto ar not too bad for noise either and are way cheaper than wood.

Yuppers. no different than a canoe. Run from the aluminum ones...
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

I will have to look into that. I have a big pair of atlas metal/plastic with crampon that I was going to recommend, but they are really noisy. Great for access, but couldn't't imagine stalking anything.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:39 PM

I’ve had good luck with mine that I bought from Costco.
In fact I have several pairs for my kids as well.
Can’t beat the price if they’ll work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 PM

I used mine mostly for hiking so noise wasn't a big factor, the last 4-5 years I've been using them more for yote hunting and believe me your better off trudging through him deep snow barefoot than you are using the new aluminum/ plastic ones with huge crampons....every coyote within the county knows exactly where you are:-) old school wood are best. I picked up a pair of the magnesium military surplus ones from PA a few years back to keep in the truck box for the just in case I need a set times:-) as they are cheap so if they walk i am not out huge $. They are reasonably silent and float just as well as my wood set.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:17 PM

I have been using Yakima brand snowshoes for about 15 years now. Used traditional woodies before that. Also have some magnesium army ones from Princess. Put snowboard bindings on them for walking swampy areas in hunting season(fall over lots)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Funny story!
it was 1962 when I worked for the Hudsons Bay in Meander River, this chap was going through, he was from Texas. Came into the store and asked me:
Tell me boy, which are warmer, Snowshoes or Magasins? I showed him the difference. All of a sudden his face was bright red.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
Doing a late season hunt in the mountains and contemplating snowshoes..what’s everyone like an use?!!looking into this before I purchase.
My wife bought me a set from Costco a couple seasons back and I’m impressed with them. You can definitely feel the burn after a couple k that’s for sure. To make them worth wearing however a person needs some serious deep snow or you will be wasting precious energy while out hunting.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 PM

I have the Canadian military surplus ones, actually I liked them so much I’ve got 4 pairs. They aren’t perfect but if you’re not a big dude they’ll do the job. I spent 10 days on mine a couple years ago hunting elk, then deer at wainwright.
The snow was seriously up to my crotch and Higher. The did the job and I got elk and deer. I’m sure some other people wish they had some ‘shoes on those hunts as they couldn’t access the spots we did.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 AM

What ever you settle on make sure they are light as you will be become very fatigued fast if you are in deep snow with heavy snow shoes.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:18 AM

I purchased a pair on sale at Canadian Tire a couple of years ago, and they have held up great being used 20-30 days per year. Mine are plastic/ aluminum, and the only issue is that the buckles have iced over, making them difficult to remove. I wear mine running my dog, and hunting coyotes, so noise isn't a huge issue to me. Mine are 30", while the chart says I should have one size larger for my weight, but these have worked out okay for me.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:28 AM

We use MSRs.

Note...we have three pairs each...all picked up in new shape at the thrift stores. Usually around $30 or so. We lend out the extras to hiking friends.

I like snowshoes I can get on and off easily. I might switch to micro spikes...back to snowshoes. You can also get different micro spikes/crampons at thrift stores for less than $5.

Our snow usually isn't that deep and is relatively powdery. I prefer a slightly smaller snowshoe than is recommended. I'm 145 lbs and prefer a snowshoe with 145lb maximum range rather than145lb minimum. Back in Nova Scotia (gooey' heavy snow) I preferred the larger shoe.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Default snowshoes

We use snowshoes on trapline, prefer rawhide very narrow smaller shoes with simple binding as need to take them off and on all the time. A long narrow design larger best for breaking new trail. I have used them to run down elk in past years in deep snow. Sorry would never consider using the yuppie shoes.