Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
is this 100% kosher to shoot these noisy buggers in the city limits from your backyard or windows?
It's not kosher, but you have my blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Also, how do you dispose of dead bodies?
Black bin. Put 'em in there with the squirrels.

I knows a guy who knows a guy.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
It's not kosher, but you have my blessing.

Black bin. Put 'em in there with the squirrels.

I knows a guy who knows a guy.
HAHA rofl

theres the thread winner for the day lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Every so often, when a crow or a magpie suddenly doesn't feel well, he may die but not fall to the ground. If he hangs up in the tree, all of his buddies will come along and yell at him. And all of their attention will be on their buddy. If I see one that is still hanging up in a tree, I will keep watch and try to make his buddies feel suddenly unwell.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
I love the Crossman Premier Heavy Domed, but it's hard to find 'em in 10.5gr (I shoot .177 cal) 1250ct cartons.

I tried some H&N piledrivers, 21 gr, and they're pretty amazing out of my Gamo Magnum (rated 1650 fps with those ultra-light weight pellets....real world I flirt with supersonic with the 10.5gr crossman heavies)
My Ruger Airhawk Elite loves those also, on those cooler days you get the odd one that breaks the sound barrier and make a real good crack.

I was picking the 10.5 s up from whole sale sports, I haven't looked in a while as I'm still sitting on a couple tins. If all else fails I will revert back to pyramidair.com

I also have a pretty extensive collection of .177 cal pellets if anyone wanted to try something different.
V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by vtecngsr; 09-06-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I might have to get a high velocity air rifle now
Way to go Ken now you have me thinking I need one too lol 😂
Old 09-06-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I might have to get a high velocity air rifle now
Way to go Ken now you have me thinking I need one too lol 😂
Lol me too!!

I'm heading into lloyd on the bike tomorrow might have to stop and check things out.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Lol me too!!

I'm heading into lloyd on the bike tomorrow might have to stop and check things out.
What time? I'm going in at some point just have to work around the electricians

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
What time? I'm going in at some point just have to work around the electricians
Just waiting to see if I'm going to get rained on or not. I forgot my rain coat at the cabin and I just might melt lol.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Just waiting to see if I'm going to get rained on or not. I forgot my rain coat at the cabin and I just might melt lol.
Apparently it is DUMPING in Lloyd right now, and hail in Unity. We had lots of thunder but just a sprinkle. May be better off with a snowsuit today on a bike.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Went out to feed a magpie this morning, and noticed a pair of Pine Siskins. First for the fall. We go through several hundred pounds of sunflower seeds a year, and between the Bluejays and squirrels about half that in unshelled peanuts. I can get the squirrels to take nuts from my fingers, but the Bluejays must have seen what happens to their monochrome cousins when I am around, they are a little more reserved.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Depends on the hamlet/village/town/city bylaws and how well you get along with the village council.
If you leave a dead bird on the lawn it is great bait for the next step up the pest ladder; cats/skunks/coyotes.

If someone comes in here whining about illegal baiting I am going to have to start drinking!!! LOL
Please don't encourage the killing of some child's pet cat.

It appears you don't live in a big city. You may not have a cat bylaw in which to trap them for the local SPCA or rescue society.

In rural areas pet cats are allowed to roam and control vermin.

Please be respectful of pets. People do have strong emotional connections to dogs and cats and any killing thereof is not cool.

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Please don't encourage the killing of some child's pet cat.

It appears you don't live in a big city. You may not have a cat bylaw in which to trap them for the local SPCA or rescue society.

In rural areas pet cats are allowed to roam and control vermin.

Please be respectful of pets. People do have strong emotional connections to dogs and cats and any killing thereof is not cool.

Sun
If they have such an emotional connection to their pets they should keep them home or in their yard. Any pet at large is against the law. Feral cats are a huge problem and they get shot. Dogs at large that pose a threat to livestock get the same. If the critter is your pet keep it home. No excuses.
We have had issues with neighbours dogs coming on our property and starting fights with our dogs in the past. Fortunately our dogs can hold their own and we have never needed to go to the vet but there has been blood drawn.
One call to the neighbors letting them know their dogs will be shot and problem over.
These neighbors have had dogs impounded for being at large more than a few times but they just don't seem to get the message.
One is a mastif one a Doberman, and a choc lab. All three are aggressive.

Pet owners need to keep tabs on their pets
Old 09-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
If they have such an emotional connection to their pets they should keep them home or in their yard. Any pet at large is against the law. Feral cats are a huge problem and they get shot. Dogs at large that pose a threat to livestock get the same. If the critter is your pet keep it home. No excuses.
We have had issues with neighbours dogs coming on our property and starting fights with our dogs in the past. Fortunately our dogs can hold their own and we have never needed to go to the vet but there has been blood drawn.
One call to the neighbors letting them know their dogs will be shot and problem over.
These neighbors have had dogs impounded for being at large more than a few times but they just don't seem to get the message.

Brother from another mother.
Some people seem to think anything written online is a recipe or manifesto of how things must be done. Good grief.

I agree. Keep your fur bearers in your yard. And letting your dogs bark all day and all night is just awesome. Thanks for that. Also I know the difference between a shiny well fed affectionate collar wearing kitty and a trash cat that is obviously feral. I live in a town with 80 houses. One neighbour trapped 30 cats in just over a week.

Some just don't get it, do they?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Not all jurisdictions have cat bylaws. Feral cats are not house cats. Cats in more rural areas do go outside to help control rodents.

Promoting a shoot pets post on AOF is wrong.

Sometimes people’s pets do get out of homes and yards.

A shoot to kill policy is wrong.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Brother from another mother.
Some people seem to think anything written online is a recipe or manifesto of how things must be done. Good grief.

I agree. Keep your fur bearers in your yard. And letting your dogs bark all day and all night is just awesome. Thanks for that. Also I know the difference between a shiny well fed affectionate collar wearing kitty and a trash cat that is obviously feral. I live in a town with 80 houses. One neighbour trapped 30 cats in just over a week.

Some just don't get it, do they?
Not everyone has your insights as to distinction between feral and pet.

To be fair to others a post seemingly promoting killing pets is wrong. You clarified your are against indiscriminately killing cats. So thanks.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 AM

http://catsandbirds.ca/research/esti....HIdgutmD.dpbs
Old 09-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Not all jurisdictions have cat bylaws. Feral cats are not house cats. Cats in more rural areas do go outside to help control rodents.

Sorry but I don't kill to wound. That is inhumane.

Quote:
Not everyone has your insights as to distinction between feral and pet.

To be fair to others a post seemingly promoting killing pets is wrong. You clarified your are against indiscriminately killing cats. So thanks.
The thread is about magpies. Try to keep up. And the truth is I have never killed a cat. Or a dog unless it was injured. Relax. Off your soapbox now.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:

The thread is about magpies. Try to keep up. And the truth is I have never killed a cat. Or a dog unless it was injured. Relax. Off your soapbox now.
Magpies is great. I have personally seen them ravage robin nests in our yard. I removed a spruce tree from the yard because they raise such a racket and your posted deterent methodology just wasn’t fixing the problem. And thanks for clarifying your own post that raised a red flag.

Happy magpie feeding.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:

omg - LMFAO - that made me pee my pants I laughed so hard ....
Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 PM

Strictly from a "legal" perspective ..... if you are in the city (or town limits) a Pellet gun under 495 fps is a bylaw fine - a bylaw infraction and nothing more as joe bylaw officer comes for a visit at worst case.

A pellet gun that shoots over 500 fps .... well now you are discharging a firearm and that's an altogether different ball of wax. A visit from a police officer is a likely surpeise in this case.

Nevertheless

I am "told" by a "friend" that a 495 fps pellet gun does a really nice (and quiet) job on pesky rodents and magpies. I was told "they punch through the chests, quickly killing them, and drop them on the spot".
Old 09-08-2018, 11:27 PM

The 50-60 year old Slovak .177 I have drops gophers stone cold with a head shot. I don't imagine it is anywhere near 500. This new one should prove very interesting.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:

If your cat leaves your property ( farm, acreage,town lot, or any other) and cause problems for others they are fair game in my books. Keep your fuzzys on your own place or whatever happens is on you the petowner.

I do not condone shooting an animal for go reason or being cruel for the sake of it but if your pet causes damage *financial loss or other on my property there will be action.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
If your cat leaves your property ( farm, acreage,town lot, or any other) and cause problems for others they are fair game in my books. Keep your fuzzys on your own place or whatever happens is on you the petowner.

I do not condone shooting an animal for go reason or being cruel for the sake of it but if your pet causes damage *financial loss or other on my property there will be action.
My cats have always been indoor cats. Dogs have never free roamed. OP mentioned killing cats. He clarified he hasn’t and wouldn’t kill obvious pets in the future. If a dog is attacking cattle I can see an issue. A pet cat however would not cause financial loss. So all is good. OP made a statement in his thread. I expressed an opinion. He clarified and is clearly a good guy.

All is great in the magpie feeding world.

As an aside I have also seen crows sitting on a perch over water and snatching ducklings as they swim under. Smart and very efficient predators.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 AM

I’ve never been game to discharge a weapon within city limits. To risk for me so I used rat poison. A bit of dog food and rat poison cut about the same size in a bowl on the roof of the shed worked wonders. It would clean out the magpies and crows in one morning, then a few years later I started feeding the dog raw meat as opposed to kibble. The magpies would clean his turds off the lawn as fast as he would drop them. Now I prefer a “few” birds around so there are never any dog turds on my grass but only a few.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:40 AM

I feel the same about poisoning. My reply about dogs and cats and coyotes was tongue in cheek but maybe not specifically enough.,The thought of an animal going through it's insides melting as it expires, especially an unintended one like a dog or cat or bluejay etc is horrific. I don't even poison mice, traps are instant as is a chunk of lead to the brainpan.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
The 50-60 year old Slovak .177 I have drops gophers stone cold with a head shot. I don't imagine it is anywhere near 500. This new one should prove very interesting.

image.jpg

Yup and still puts the smack down on anything that squeeeeks or squaaaaaks in the back yard.

Rifle is 50 years young.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I feel the same about poisoning. My reply about dogs and cats and coyotes was tongue in cheek but maybe not specifically enough.,The thought of an animal going through it's insides melting as it expires, especially an unintended one like a dog or cat or bluejay etc is horrific. I don't even poison mice, traps are instant as is a chunk of lead to the brainpan.
I think the same as you. I worry about unintended consequences of using poison outside.

Lead is far more targeted.

Pun intended.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Attachment 148761

Yup and still puts the smack down on anything that squeeeeks or squaaaaaks in the back yard.

Rifle is 50 years young.
wow- the only way I know that is not my air rifle is the fact that there is no baseboard anywhere in my house

Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Poison should not be used, or, at the very least, used very carefully.

A mouse, bird or rodent that has been poisoned can be eaten by your pet (or another animal) with unintended collateral damage.

And, as Ken mentions, poison isn't instant, it's far more cruel compared to a lead pill.

I never use poison around here.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
The Slovak sounds like a Russian mob enforcer, both would provide the same results on pests