Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 07:16 PM

Default May 2022 Air rifle is being used daily, thousand rounds down tube so far

I went into MGO Lloydminster and the pellet rifles are 20% off, went home with a Crossman Nitro Venom .22 950fps for $175. Shoots decent, last 3 were same hole at 25 yds, sure it will be a good feeder.
There aren't a lot of places to find .22 cal pellets in Lloyd, and the prices reflect it.
Anyone seeing any deals on bulk 'hollow point' pellets?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 PM

Hey Ken
Thanks to my Gamo 177cal 1,000 fps and the very light alloy pellets you can get that will jack the fps by another 200. Needless to say those famous Canmore bunnies don't last long in my neighborhood, even the non shooting neighbors call me when an invader is spotted.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Sounds like fun times ahead. Enough power for all your varmint needs. I don't know if you buy online. If so, https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/ammun...ellets/22-cal/ has a great assortment. Not in bulk though.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sounds like fun times ahead. Enough power for all your varmint needs. I don't know if you buy online. If so, https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/ammun...ellets/22-cal/ has a great assortment. Not in bulk though.
Score!!! Thank you!

You bet I buy online, if I can not locally.
I took out 5 magpies from my patio door off the deck in 15 minutes, then they started leaving a little bit more distance between me and them. With the new rifle I am betting they will be dropping off the garage roof and from the trees easily.
Now I just have to find a deal on a bug-a-salt shotgun

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:53 PM

How loud is it ? like a 22 short or so?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Good job Ken! They leave our yard alone now ever since my dog Rosco took one of those flying rats out of the air and killed it dead!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-04-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Score!!! Thank you!

You bet I buy online, if I can not locally.
I took out 5 magpies from my patio door off the deck in 15 minutes, then they started leaving a little bit more distance between me and them. With the new rifle I am betting they will be dropping off the garage roof and from the trees easily.
Now I just have to find a deal on a bug-a-salt shotgun
Well, don't be shooting them all in one day. What will you shoot tomorrow?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
How loud is it ? like a 22 short or so?
Way quieter. There is 1 left at MGO, but there was 1 other guy asking when I was there. There are a few others as well, but the specs and price on this one looked real nice.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Well, don't be shooting them all in one day. What will you shoot tomorrow?
They are flocking up now, I don't think finding them will be tough. Besides, a block away at the museum (converted grain elevator) there are 20 acres of gophers
The school yard is also swimming with fur covered moving targets, generally used the bow but I prefer not having to remove pellets.
Living in a tiny town and getting along great with the school makes for tons-o-fun.
I am thinking of trying some of the hybrid pellets, getting almost 1250fps out of a .22 sounds great!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM

Personally, I prefer the domed pellets to the hollow point for use on pigeons crows and magpies. The 950 fps is the rating for alloy pellets, expect around 800fps for lighter lead pellets and around 700fps for the heavier lead pellets. My rifle drives the 15.8gr JSB Exact at just under 700fps, and it does a good job on pigeons to about 50 yards.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Way quieter. There is 1 left at MGO, but there was 1 other guy asking when I was there. There are a few others as well, but the specs and price on this one looked real nice.
I'll check that out tomorrow thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 PM

I have a Chrony, going to check speeds after I get it dialed in. There are a couple more there I would like to buy, but going to wait for bigger discounts

Old 09-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Another good dealer for airguns and pellets is D&L air out of bc, there’s no where good to get pellets from in Alberta. Your best bet is to get many different weights and head sizes to see what works best and to stay away from hollow point pellets, in most airguns they’re not as accurate at domed past 10-20m.

Welcome to the fun and addicting world of airguns just wait until you play with a pcp, it’s a whole other level of fun.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:00 PM

We should do a pellet swap, like the fly swaps and bullet swaps.

I am going to buy a few packages, all going to be .22 cal can put a dozen in a package and send to anyone else to try. Would definately send some to anyone else to try, if you haven't bought them already.

Any interest?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Don't need anymore pellets but try Eric at Scopes & Ammo lots of airgun products on his website. Cdn company: 118 Wilson Street West, Perth, Ontario K7H 2P3 613-267-3906

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/index.php

I use Crosman Premier .22 caliber Domed pellets, they hit hard. Tin of 500 for $13.00.

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...ellets-c-24_41

Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I am going to buy a few packages, all going to be .22 cal can put a dozen in a package and send to anyone else to try. Would definately send some to anyone else to try, if you haven't bought them already.

Any interest?
Not to be a downer, but at that speed that is a “firearm” as per the Criminal Code. Does your town have a bylaw preventing the discharge of a firearm within city limits?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Not to be a downer, but at that speed that is a “firearm” as per the Criminal Code. Does your town have a bylaw preventing the discharge of a firearm within city limits?
my back yard is a 160 acre barley crop. I know my backstop. One of few great things about living in a tiny town. There may be a bylaw I will check first thing in the morning.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Any interest?
I have a few, like some one else said try the crossman premier heavy. I can stack them with my NP XL1100.

I used to order from pyramidair.com back when I was ordering a lot of pellets.

V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I have a few, like some one else said try the crossman premier heavy. I can stack them with my NP XL1100.

I used to order from pyramidair.com back when I was ordering a lot of pellets.

V
if yours are .22 cal would you consider selling a half dozen or so of a couple brands to try for grouping?

Nice looking rifle!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 PM

https://www.ebay.com/p/8003322497?tr...95199895&rt=nc

Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
if yours are .22 cal would you consider selling a half dozen or so of a couple brands to try for grouping?

Nice looking rifle!
That's the .22 cal pile (I have about the same in .177 too.)

Sure would.

V
Old 09-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Diablo has sampler cans of pellets. 4 types of pellets in a can. A little pricey for 240 pellets. Maybe they have other assortment cans too.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/jsb-m...sampler-2.html
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 AM

There is a ton of video's done on you tube.Some even on your particular gun,with the best review & pellets that work best in it.
Also these guns are NO TOYS. Even at 495 fps a pellet will penetrate 1/2 plywood 60 yds away..Please be careful,insure you have a backstop ,for your shot.OH starlings are great targets,as are crows.These birds prey on young song birds,eggs.Crows will peck the eyes out of your calves[bovine,or game] etc.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 AM

I have never seen a starling here, and oddly enough very few grackles this year. Mostly bluejays, a million sparrows, chicadees, pygmy nuthatches. It was a very slow year for birds. Never saw a pine siskin and Very few finches.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Also these guns are NO TOYS.
You realize I am in my 50's, right?
An air rifle is not my first foray into shooting.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Hypothetically...asking for a friend

whats the arc and travel of a pellet when shooting out of a first-floor bedroom window, underwear, but no socks, up at a mature maple tree, say 43 ft up, 60 ft distance.

IF my friend misses, how far will the pellet travel and will it penetrate my friend's neighbors brand new picture window across the street?
Or is it more likely to fall harmlessly in their backyard with a simple "thwack" on the siding of the garage?

My "friend" may or may not be willing to serve jail time to get rid of magpies constantly pooping all over his truck parked directly under the above-mentioned maple tree.

Also...how loud is a falling magpie landing on the roof or hood of a half ton? (blue in colour)

Again, purely hypothetical question.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

whats the arc and travel of a pellet when shooting out of a first-floor bedroom window, underwear, but no socks, up at a mature maple tree, say 43 ft up, 60 ft distance.

IF my friend misses, how far will the pellet travel and will it penetrate my friend's neighbors brand new picture window across the street?
Or is it more likely to fall harmlessly in their backyard with a simple "thwack" on the siding of the garage?

My "friend" may or may not be willing to serve jail time to get rid of magpies constantly pooping all over his truck parked directly under the above-mentioned maple tree.

Also...how loud is a falling magpie landing on the roof or hood of a half ton? (blue in colour)

Oddly enough a friend of mine leaves the screen out of the second story window overlooking the pond in his yard. Coincidentally, the local pigeons and crowns water at his pond, and use our roofs and yards for a bathroom.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php

If your friend can whack a magpie at 20 yds, he needs to be concerned with what lies down range, 150 yds.

Last edited by Badgerbadger; 09-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Any interest?
I probably have about a dozen different types of pellets. When I ordered my pellet rifle, I also ordered about 6000 pellets. Then I might have bought another tin or two that was different.

Got semi serious about finding out which shot the best once and took out my best single point mobile rest and found a couple pellets that really stood out over the others in my rifle. Now I have to figure out again which ones those were!

They were mid weight pellets anyway, around 22 gr. IIRC. Have some of the super heavy Eujin (sp?) also, which shot substantially lower at 33 yards.

I can put some together for you. I am around Edmonton fairly often, also.

I'd stay away from the alloy pellets as they won't slow down the piston very much on your gun and will be harder on it. Probably won't shoot very well either if you are approaching or breaking the sonic barrier either.

The best at killing pests will have a flatter profile also.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Cool.

-out the window without socks roflol!!!

I have to admit looking through the scope of a pellet gun is kind of a neat experience when you see the pellet leave the barrel for that microsecond and then hit the target

I am definitely into a pellet swap just don't know where I am going to be able to contribute anything you guys don't have but I will look for sure.