Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Default .338 Lapua Load Data

Hey, just curious if anyone is switching to .338 Lapua? So far I love the caliber. I'm shooting a Remigton 700 with a 1:12 barrel. There is more load data these days, good bullets and powder to choose from too.

My 3 loads are:

1. 250 gr Sierra HPBT, 87.5 gr RL 22, Win Mag primers on Norma Brass.

2. 250 gr Sierra HPBT, 90 gr Retumbo, Win Mag primers on Norma Brass.

3. 250 gr Sierra HPBT, 96 gr Retumbo, Win Mag primers on Norma Brass. (98 gr Retumbo was too hot).

The 1st is the one I'm sticking with, it's easy on brass, slightly tighter groups and seems to be cleaner. These loads were also tried with 250 gr Accubonds and the bullets are definitely on par but Sierras cost less.

What's everyone else's experiences with this caliber so far? Anyone try the new Savage .338 that is out?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:17 AM

I load for several 338 Lapuas, and one 338.378 Weatherby.
The Lapuas are in Sako TRGS rifles, and the 338/378 is in an AccumarkI,IRC.
The one Sako is un-braked and I have watched Oldbadger put three into a 9" circle from prone at 1,000 meters , resting the gun across a log with this stock, totally factory rifle.
The cartridge is a very good one.
The other Lapua hunter uses 185 grain Barnes XLC bullets in his , and his gun is braked because the owner had multiple fractures in his shoulder a few years back .
When my son was 12 or 13, he shot a 3/4, three shot group with this very rifle at 200 yards, from the bench.
The Weatherby, although not as accurate as either Sakos, has taking three moose so far, at varying ranges.
The one Sako rifle has taken many moose, some inside 100 yards and several
"out there".
The owner practises in the area he hunts , using a Leica range finder and a Burris scope.

I no longer shoot guns like these, but am certainly impressed with the 338 Lapua cartridge as a long range hunting round.
Cat
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I load for several 338 Lapuas, and one 338.378 Weatherby.
The Lapuas are in Sako TRGS rifles, and the 338/378 is in an AccumarkI,IRC.
The one Sako is un-braked and I have watched Oldbadger put three into a 9" circle from prone at 1,000 meters , resting the gun across a log with this stock, totally factory rifle.
The cartridge is a very good one.
The other Lapua hunter uses 185 grain Barnes XLC bullets in his , and his gun is braked because the owner had multiple fractures in his shoulder a few years back .
When my son was 12 or 13, he shot a 3/4, three shot group with this very rifle at 200 yards, from the bench.
The Weatherby, although not as accurate as either Sakos, has taking three moose so far, at varying ranges.
The one Sako rifle has taken many moose, some inside 100 yards and several
"out there".
The owner practises in the area he hunts , using a Leica range finder and a Burris scope.

I no longer shoot guns like these, but am certainly impressed with the 338 Lapua cartridge as a long range hunting round.
Cat
Really glad to run into someone else shooting the super magnums. I've only taken up long range shooting in the last two years and this fall will be the first that I'll consider anything past 300.

Look to my post #59 on http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=61978&page=2

Any advise is apreciated. Cheers!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 AM

My TRG likes the 300 grain Sierra's the best, using IMR 7828, 87 grains, and CCI large rifle magnum primers, seated at the lands, sized .0015" tight on the neck, Lapua brass. This one has a 10" twist, and also will shoot the Sierra Spitzer 250 grain fairly well.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rollo View Post
My TRG likes the 300 grain Sierra's the best, using IMR 7828, 87 grains, and CCI large rifle magnum primers, seated at the lands, sized .0015" tight on the neck, Lapua brass. This one has a 10" twist, and also will shoot the Sierra Spitzer 250 grain fairly well.
Sounds like an awesome rifle! What kind of glass are you using?