Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Default Rifle prices in 2010, up, down? what do you think.

The Title says it all. Anyone hear what prices are ahead.

Brad
Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM

my guess is it will depend on how strong our dollar is with the american dollar!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm-08 View Post
my guess is it will depend on how strong our dollar is with the american dollar!
has nothing to do wth it, its all Greed, and money hungry polaticians and buissness people nothing to do wth dollar strength
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Its been awhile since I saw a drop in price of anything,, The longer you live the more you pay.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default Down

for the life of me I can't remember what gun store I was in, but I was looking at a rifle and commented that it was cheaper than it had been in the past months I had looked at it...he told me that with the dollar gaining...the prices were coming down. Now this was a few months ago and have not noticed any drop in prices at wholesale or anywhere else. Still waiting.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Its been awhile since I saw a drop in price of anything,, The longer you live the more you pay.
X2, exactly!

We are Canadian, therefore we will pay premium prices. Prices will stay the same or go up, Canadian suppliers will see to it...

Suck it up, live long and pay through the @!?...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Any firearms stores purchased in 2009 won't be going back down in price. To sell them at what they used to be would mean selling them for below cost and chances are that won't happen. I too also see either prices staying the same or skyrocketing some more.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

If our dollar goes up in relation to the US dollar the savings will be made by buying in the US and having what you bought shipped here.

I flew to Chicago a few years ago the last time the dollar was high and bought myself a 2005 F150. I got $1.05 US for every Canadian dollar and when all was said and done I saved about $10K.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM

When the C$ dropped in 08 they raised the prices immediately.
"Because the new stock will be higher in price!"

When the C$ strengthened in 09 the prices stayed up.
"Because the old stock is at a higher price"

Since we keep buying I guess they're right.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_m View Post
Any firearms stores purchased in 2009 won't be going back down in price. To sell them at what they used to be would mean selling them for below cost and chances are that won't happen. I too also see either prices staying the same or skyrocketing some more.
That is not true. I have seen the costs on guns. There is alot more mark up than they say.I Have seen the cost on the stores screen.When I went in to buy a gun the prices jumped back up.They told me it was a floating cost from the states. My freind checked the cost and it was still the same as before. It is all to do about greed.On every gun you buy or intend to ask for a better deal.You will get one just maybe at a different store than the one you normally deal with.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
has nothing to do wth it, its all Greed, and money hungry polaticians and buissness people nothing to do wth dollar strength
thats why i said guess i dont know either...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM

The strength of the Canadian dollar does effect the price of guns. Most of these guns are purchase through importers in US funds.
The price of these guns in the US does not change for the importer. But the price it costs the importer to have his money exchanged does.

If our dollar was worth $0.75 US, a $1000.00 US gun would cost the importer/distributor $1250.00 Canadian.
If a importer/distributor were to purchase the same $1000.00 US gun today ($0.94 dollar) it would cost them $1060.00 That's $190.00 savings. Of course its up to the importer/distributor to share the savings with the consumers.
So anyone who doesn't think the strength of our dollar effects the prices is wrong.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 PM

All i can say is I bought my Tikka T3 SS for 500.00 two years ago and now they want 969.00. I would say they are going up again...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABBIT View Post
When the C$ dropped in 08 they raised the prices immediately.
"Because the new stock will be higher in price!"

When the C$ strengthened in 09 the prices stayed up.
"Because the old stock is at a higher price"

Since we keep buying I guess they're right.:lol
:
yeah, it's the Canadian way.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
The strength of the Canadian dollar does effect the price of guns. Most of these guns are purchase through importers in US funds.
The price of these guns in the US does not change for the importer. But the price it costs the importer to have his money exchanged does.

If our dollar was worth $0.75 US, a $1000.00 US gun would cost the importer/distributor $1250.00 Canadian.
If a importer/distributor were to purchase the same $1000.00 US gun today ($0.94 dollar) it would cost them $1060.00 That's $190.00 savings. Of course its up to the importer/distributor to share the savings with the consumers.
So anyone who doesn't think the strength of our dollar effects the prices is wrong.
In your example the 1250.00 is just what you pay in Canadian dollars for the actual product, but that is not landed costs. Although some items come from the US duty free, there are still lots of items that you pay duty on (from 6-18%) and shipping and brokerage which can add an additional 15-20% to the cost. Retailers in the US pay no exchange, duty, brokerage, and depending on the size of the order no freight, which is why their product is much cheaper. They work on the same margings (profits) as a lot of companies in Canada, it is just that their cost of product (landed cost) is so much less, their retail price is that much less as well. If you reduce all these costs, in some cases they are selling product for almost the same price that it would take a business in Canada just to land it.

Individuals can purchase product on line cheaper because in a lot cases they are not charged for brokerage and duty, but when you are a business, buying for resale you almost always do.

Then you put the item on the shelf and wait to sell it, which can take a day or a few months, or some items a year or more. This is all product that must be paid for up front (or usually within 30 days), this may not seem like a lot when you are thinking of a few items, but for stores with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock that is a lot money to lay out with no return until it is sold.

I think a good example of this is Bass Pro, I remember when word was out that they were coming, all the talk was how cheap stuff would be and how they were going to put everyone out of business. The reality is, their prices with the exception of a few items are the same as everyone else's, even with thier incredible buying power.

I am not necessarily trying to defend retailers in Canada, but the reality is that landed costs in Canada can add a substantial amount to the cost of product, just to get in on the shelf. Higher retails are not really greed in most cases, just the cost of being a business in Canada.

P.S.....No I am not a business owner, I was just a buyer for a few years, which was a real eye opener for me.

Last edited by bobalong; 01-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

He's pretty much hit it on the head. The value of the Canadian dollar has the biggest effect on the prices at our stores, as almost every thing is imported from the USA. However, there are price increases from time to time.

BTW, for the most part, prices in Alberta (eg Wholesale) are reasonable. If you travel to the States, you may find promotions on an individual product, where an Alberta store can't hope to match. But for the most part, if you factor in exchange and any other accumulated fees, the prices are very comparable. For instance, last August at the Big R in Great Falls MT, a Ruger Hawkeye was $540. Great deal. Can't be matched in Alberta. But that was a promotion, not regular price.

When I travel, I make sure that I am very sure of what it would cost me in Calgary. Sometimes what seems cheap, isn't, you can be ripped off. Know your prices. Starting to immaterial anyways. USA is very sticky about exporting ammunition or firearms accessories etc. The days of cross border shopping is virtually over.

But don't be afraid to support the local dealers. I just ordered a new handgun. The dealer is selling it for the USA MRSP. I think that is great, considering that he or his importer/distributor paid exchange fees etc.

You the price increases on your gasoline bill for hunting flucuates more than gun prices, and in the end costs you more.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
That is not true. I have seen the costs on guns. There is alot more mark up than they say.I Have seen the cost on the stores screen.When I went in to buy a gun the prices jumped back up.They told me it was a floating cost from the states. My freind checked the cost and it was still the same as before. It is all to do about greed.On every gun you buy or intend to ask for a better deal.You will get one just maybe at a different store than the one you normally deal with.
I disagree, I too have seen the cost of guns. But not through a friend as I myself worked in firearms sales for 2 years. There is not as huge of a markup as you are stating in your comment. Of course the cost will stay the same on a computer when the exact same make/model of firearm is brought in after the price goes up, because the computer goes by a UPC code and will read the new one the same way as it did the old one and bring up the old cost. I've seen it several times where the actual order sheet on a newly purchased firearm had a significantly higher cost than what the computer says it was bought for. And when it comes to asking for a better deal.....sure they may be able to work something out for you on old stock where "new pricing" is in effect when it was bought under old pricing because of the huge gap between cost and retail. But try talking them down on new product to where retail was in 2008. For example....in 2008 up until December the Tikka T3 lite synthetic stainless. $689.99. Went up around Christmas of that year to around $1,100. Now of course when someone sees that drastic jump and asks for a deal, there is a lot of room to move. But in the 2009 new year, when that same make and model is bought and the cost is now more ($800-$900) than 2008 retail ($689.99), try convincing the guy to let you take it for old pricing. Not gonna happen.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
If our dollar was worth $0.75 US, a $1000.00 US gun would cost the importer/distributor $1250.00 Canadian..
No, it would cost $1,333 Canadian.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
In your example the 1250.00 is just what you pay in Canadian dollars for the actual product, but that is not landed costs.
Yes I was just using the $1000.00 as a number to compare. There is always extras above the rifle itself.

A year and a half ago, Bashaw Sports gun prices couldnt be touched. Simple fact was that Pud had ordered hundreds of guns when the dollar was high. He dropped his selling price and made a lot of customers very happy. But then when the dollar dropped again back up went prices.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No, it would cost $1,333 Canadian.
I stand corrected.
@ $0.75 it would cost $1333.00 CND
@ $0.94 it would cost $1063.00 CDN

Difference of $270.00

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
The Title says it all. Anyone hear what prices are ahead.

Brad
Rifle Prices will stay the same for 2010,there wont be a substantial rise or fall in the rifle market this year
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM

It's the ammo and reloading components that kill you

One place in particular here in Edmonton seems to raise their prices like they are attached to a stock ticker

Soon it will be cheaper to use silver instead of copper for bullets.

Wait for the new Barnes Tripleshock Werewolf Slayer
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
It's the ammo and reloading components that kill you

One place in particular here in Edmonton seems to raise their prices like they are attached to a stock ticker

Soon it will be cheaper to use silver instead of copper for bullets.

Wait for the new Barnes Tripleshock Werewolf Slayer
X2
I went to buy more handgun bullets to reload the other day and almost crapped my pants.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM

Default 2020 pricing

What did I read just the other day, that copper is projected to increase by 49% just in 2010. Lead pricing has doubled in the last year. So for a company like Barnes with pure copper bullets, or target shotshell ammo, pricing for new product is gonna be substancially higher. Rimfire ammo is supposed to take a 20% hike in the very near future.
If i had a favrorite bullet for reloading, I'd run out right now and buy a bunch of them. FS
Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM

I haven't seen all the new lists for 2010 but I see CZ did another big jump after a 15% jump last year. The strength og the C$ helped keep the CZ prices a little more reasonable.