Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Grousery shopping

Newer hunter looking for tips, tricks, wives-tales and stories!

Was out in 406 earlier today and saw quite a few grouse. It might turn out to be a really good season. Several ruffies throughout, and three sprucies that were hanging out together. They were super skittish... no way to get a shot off with my 22.

Some observations:
1. Unless they are moving you can’t see them with all the grass and leaves still — at least I wasn’t able to!
2. Most of the ruffed grouse I saw today, flew past silently while I was sitting still (and not in a position to do anything- haha)
3. I have generally found that if I go past where I lost track of a bird, and double back, I can sometimes bump it out of its hiding spot. But today, the skittish nature of the birds, and foliage made it a tough hunt.
4. I seem to have more luck finding birds in the afternoon. Never in the morning.

Was a beautiful day with a nice dusting of snow. Pooch enjoyed the walk, and definitely looking forward to trying again soon.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Its a good year for Grouse. Today I saw them under trees.

A bunch gave themselves away by moving through bushes, otherwise I wouldnt have seen them.

Also using a .22
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Last 3 trips out we have come in to many good groups of Ruffies between 4-8 birds.

Finding them in mature spruce forest slightly north facing with mossy floor and lots of those red bunch berries. The bunch berries grow very low to the ground 3-4" high with green leaves and a single stem of 3-4 little red berries.

Every single bird shot with the bow was full of them.

My method is:
-slow moving in key terrain, move 10 steps and scan the bottom of every tree or dark cover spot.
-listen for their very soft alarm chirps, they will do this right before flushing. If I hear it I stop and try to pin point. Usually the bird will stay still until after a minute and start to slowly walk. That's when their head movement gives them away.
-Later morning to mid afternoon seems to be the best, Early morning they are up in a tree which is risky with the bow.
- If they flush I find they go 30-40 yards and sit tight. Probably up in a tree 20 feet off of the ground.
- If one bird takes off don't forget to check if there is more close by before rushing off after it.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 PM

Ruffy numbers are definately up this year in the areas i hunt. Im probably going to spook alot of deer. Im the guy who will ruin couple hours of my deer hunt if a ruffed grouse gives me a shot i also find they dont fly too far and alot of times if you sit, they will circle back.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM

New hunter here as well - in fact first time ever hunting was last Saturday. I went out just west of Sandy McNabb campground in the Bluerock Wildland Provincial Park. I ranged pretty far out and doubled back in a zig-zag manner to cover as much area as I could. After about three hours I finally spotted a ruffie sitting on a log about 60 yards away. Tried for a headshot with my .22, but, unfortunately I missed and the Ruffie took off.

I went through Aspen stands and conifers and the mixed edges of both, saw three deer, a ton of cows, stepped in a bunch of cow patties, heard what sounded like a moose call, but I guess could have been a hunter making that call, or even a weird-ass cow perhaps.

Anyway, didn't see any more grouse until I was about 100 yards from the road, walking through tall grass and about 7 of them just exploded out of the grass all around me. Scared the bejesus out of me, I nearly offloaded into my shorts.

That's when I realized that they are clearly out there, I just have to learn to stalk and spot them properly instead of just lumbering around in the woods like a drunken bear.

Still, all things told, had a damn good first time hunting even if I ended up just ordering a pizza for dinner instead of eating fresh grouse.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Same area I hunt them in. I find more spruce around Sandy area.

Better off going slow and scanning if you don't have a dog. I also have quite a bit of luck on horseback as I can spend my time watching for them as the horse does all the work.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Ruffy numbers are definately up this year in the areas i hunt. Im probably going to spook alot of deer. Im the guy who will ruin couple hours of my deer hunt if a ruffed grouse gives me a shot i also find they dont fly too far and alot of times if you sit, they will circle back.

I wouldn’t fret too much over ruining your deer hunt,I’m a firm believer that gunshots don’t necessarily scare deer and they don’t know the difference between a gunshot and thunder is my only logical conclusion?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetreeman View Post
Last 3 trips out we have come in to many good groups of Ruffies between 4-8 birds.

Finding them in mature spruce forest slightly north facing with mossy floor and lots of those red bunch berries. The bunch berries grow very low to the ground 3-4" high with green leaves and a single stem of 3-4 little red berries.

Every single bird shot with the bow was full of them.

My method is:
-slow moving in key terrain, move 10 steps and scan the bottom of every tree or dark cover spot.
-listen for their very soft alarm chirps, they will do this right before flushing. If I hear it I stop and try to pin point. Usually the bird will stay still until after a minute and start to slowly walk. That's when their head movement gives them away.
-Later morning to mid afternoon seems to be the best, Early morning they are up in a tree which is risky with the bow.
- If they flush I find they go 30-40 yards and sit tight. Probably up in a tree 20 feet off of the ground.
- If one bird takes off don't forget to check if there is more close by before rushing off after it.

Hope that helps!

I’ve been finding them in the same spots on my farm in 312, for sure an up year for birds.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:22 PM

A good tip is they never fly far when flushed I find. Walk in the general direction they flew and usually find it again quickly...(usually).

I loved hunting them with my old lab before he passed. He flushed a lot that I would have walked right past had he not been with me I got a new lab last year in hopes to do that again, but this time around with kids and schedules I just couldn’t get him out enough and unfortunately decided to rehome him to another member in which he seems to be thriving!
My plan is to take my 4 year old out for his first grouse walk this year. Pretty excited, even if we don’t see anything just the nice walk with him in the woods will be a great memory. Glad to see this thread!
Good luck to everyone!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Some great tips... Thanks everyone!
Every time I head out, I learn a little bit more. But it’s fantastic to hear other people’s input.
Next time, I will go slower... I felt that I was going fairly slow already, but I think I need to slow down more and try pausing once in a while as suggested earlier. And try letting the bird expose itself rather than always bump it out.
Onetreeman, I’m really impressed that you are hunting them with a bow. Well done!