Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Stihl augers

As I previously posted, my 2hp Tecumseh Jiffy Auger self destructed last weekend. So I have been researching every fishing forum in Canada and the USA, reading reviews, calling sale reps, what ever trying to find the best, most reliable,etc auger out there. Seems a newer models of all the usual suspects have some issues, leaving no clear winner. I know people have had augers of all brands for years and years, however those are no longer as everyone is swapping things up with new machines that will only time will tell if they pan out.

So what I have found is no matter what the piece of equipment, Stihl seems to come out on top for reliability and customer satisfaction. Have its a pricey rig. About $1000.00, but I have already lost $500.00, so I figure do it right once. Thing is its hard to find someone who uses one. Stihl doesn't actually make an ice auger, they are "Earth Augers" But they do come with ice drills and they are the ones used by the guys doing the ice road testing so it shouldn't be an issue.

I was just hoping on hearing from someone first had who uses one, and if it's worth the money. Any help would be appreciated. Mostly looking for info on cutting speed. My old Jiffy would throw ice chips and snow and cut really fast, but after using Geezle Auger which turned much slower, I kinda liked not having my boots and tent filled with ice shavings. The Stihls definately turn slower then typical Augers, but if it takes me 30 seconds to drill a hole compared to 15 seconds, the world will not end. Reliability and longevity far out weigh speed...

Last edited by thorne; 03-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
they are the ones used by the guys doing the ice road testing so it shouldn't be an issue.
I heard the same thing about the husqvarnas!!

I have seen the Stihls and they seem big and bulky.

The Husqvarna is nice and light, starts runs and cuts like a hot dang!!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

I really like the husqvarna, but it is underpowered (in my opinion) for anything bigger than 8"
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM

I just bought a husqvarna, 22 pounds and cuts 30 inches of ice in 26 seconds, with no effort. By far the best auger on the market for ergonomics and reliability. They are on sale at Wholesale for 709.00 right now. Go buy one, you will not regret it. They sell under the Normark name but are a Husky motor with a mora auger.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM

I have a Husky and have never had any issues…

I fish with a buddy who picked up a Stihl this season… like was said above it is a lot bigger than my Husky but it runs great and cuts ice no problem… His only complaint is with the drill it came with… seems the paint chips off real easy…
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Yep looked at those as well, and they are a good machine, but they have aluminum gears and to much stress has been chewing gears. PLUS the Stihl has the torque break, so if it gets jammed it just stops and doesn't give you a twist. Price is pretty close as well. The Stihls also are very multi functional, the have earth attachments, wood auger attachments, and concrete coring capabilities. It's pretty much a power head you just throw on what you need.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I really like the husqvarna, but it is underpowered (in my opinion) for anything bigger than 8"
there are different size motors for different size bits for the Husky... I believe the 8 and 10" are the same... I have the 10" and cuts fast and smooth
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I have a Husky and have never had any issues…

I fish with a buddy who picked up a Stihl this season… like was said above it is a lot bigger than my Husky but it runs great and cuts ice no problem… His only complaint is with the drill it came with… seems the paint chips off real easy…
There is what I was looking for....someone who has used one...thanks! Anyway of asking your. Buddy if he regrets dropping a grand on it? Was it worth it?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Yep looked at those as well, and they are a good machine, but they have aluminum gears and to much stress has been chewing gears. PLUS the Stihl has the torque break, so if it gets jammed it just stops and doesn't give you a twist. Price is pretty close as well. The Stihls also are very multi functional, the have earth attachments, wood auger attachments, and concrete coring capabilities. It's pretty much a power head you just throw on what you need.
Well did you need a ice auger or would earth auger and wood auger even get used?
I have read quite a bit about the Husqvarnas and never heard of the gears getting chewed up, where did you hear this?

If you need a earth auger get the stihl if you want a light packable machine get the Husky
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Where did you hear the Husky motor has aluminum gears? I know the transmission housing is aluminum but aluminum gears would just be silly...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Well did you need a ice auger or would earth auger and wood auger even get used?
I have read quite a bit about the Husqvarnas and never heard of the gears getting chewed up, where did you hear this?

If you need a earth auger get the stihl if you want a light packable machine get the Husky
I talked to a couple of local distributers who sell both and they have had a few huskys returned or related for gear damage, but that being said, it's no where near the rate conventional auger break down. They are solid machines, which is why I was really looking at them. As for using it the Stihl for other purposes, yep! Sure will. I build stuff, lots of stuff. I have no doubts as to the quality or reliability of Stihl products, I was just concerned about the ice drilling capacity as the rpms are alot slower then a typical ice only drill, but thanks to the above post, apparently it isn't an issue.

Thanks for the input guys, I love the amazing amount of experience and information on here. Couldn't help but think of the $$ Value of market research sites like this and others across North America provide manufactures. They would be crazy or just plain dumb not to be trolling looking for opinions and ideas....
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Where did you hear the Husky motor has aluminum gears? I know the transmission housing is aluminum but aluminum gears would just be silly...
Straight from the distributer. Timberland supply. Was also mentioned on a few other forums I found. I have never seen it for myself so I can't say for sure, can only hope people are being straight up.

Last edited by thorne; 03-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
there are different size motors for different size bits for the Husky... I believe the 8 and 10" are the same... I have the 10" and cuts fast and smooth
I also have the 10" and I just feel it is underpowered compared to other 10" augers on the market, just my opinion. Punching a ton of holes with an auger that takes 3 times as long to drill a hole will tire you out. I also really hate the blade style on this auger and much prefer the chipping style of jiffy. That being said, it has to be the most reliable motor on an auger I have ever used. I have drilled well over 1,000 holes with it this year and am on my third set of blades. Flip the choke, one pull, flip the choke back and the thing starts every time. After it starts, you could set it on the ice and it would run until it ran out of gas.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I also have the 10" and I just feel it is underpowered compared to other 10" augers on the market, just my opinion. Punching a ton of holes with an auger that takes 3 times as long to drill a hole will tire you out. I also really hate the blade style on this auger and much prefer the chipping style of jiffy. That being said, it has to be the most reliable motor on an auger I have ever used. I have drilled well over 1,000 holes with it this year and am on my third set of blades. Flip the choke, one pull, flip the choke back and the thing starts every time. After it starts, you could set it on the ice and it would run until it ran out of gas.
I think the husky is better off with an 8 inch I have a 40 lb 3 hp 10 inch jiffy for fishing lakers and big pike other than than that the 8 inch is the best bet, holes are quick auger is light. Nothing beats a 8 inch husky for mobile white walleye and perch fishing.
I have a 8 inch bit for my jiffy and it drills about the same speed as the 8 inch husky....make sure your blades are sharp.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM

I looked at the stihl and it looks big and heavy. I have not seen one of them in action but recently went out with some friends who had the Normark and a Tanaka. In my opinion the Tanaka was the better unit. It drilled faster and left a much cleaner hole. No floating bits to clean out.
If you really want a stihl, I saw a used one a a pawn shop in Edmonton about a week ago. The shop is on 107ave at about 112st. Don't know if it is still there. I think he was asking 650.00 but I never checked if he would move on the price. It had the earth bit, but you could convert the drill off your old unit to fit.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I looked at the stihl and it looks big and heavy. I have not seen one of them in action but recently went out with some friends who had the Normark and a Tanaka. In my opinion the Tanaka was the better unit. It drilled faster and left a much cleaner hole. No floating bits to clean out.
If you really want a stihl, I saw a used one a a pawn shop in Edmonton about a week ago. The shop is on 107ave at about 112st. Don't know if it is still there. I think he was asking 650.00 but I never checked if he would move on the price. It had the earth bit, but you could convert the drill off your old unit to fit.
Thanks for the info, never been a fan of pawn shop deals on pricy items...but it would give me a chance to play with one....wonder if he has a pond out back
If not 107 Ave won't mind a few extra potholes! Thanks seahawk. Now I have to throw Tanaka research in the mix.....
Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM

OK looked at Tanaka. Also great machines, but I guess the one thing I like about the Stihl is what everyone is complaining about, the size. I love the wrap around cage, the smooth quiet motor, nice constant torque and a gear ratio that will chew through anything, but not fill your boots and shack....again just different strokes for different folks. This for me is not a race to the bottom of the ice, but a test of endurance and reliability, both of which Stihl has without argument for sure. All great machines being mentioned....guess I just have a soft spot for the Big German Tank. Thanks again for all the info! I finally managed to chat with someone who owns one of these and uses it regularly. He definately addressed a few concerns, and gave me the confirmation I was looking for, so I'm picking one up for next season. I'll definately report back if it's everything I hoped for, or a huge, expensive disappointment. Thought my Jiffy was Awsome, until last weekend. Only time will tell!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM

Red face stihl and echo

i have both a stihl and an echo both are really good no issues ever starting had the echo for while then got the stihl this year slower for sure than my buddy's jiffy but mine always starts..lolol and always starts easy and loads power got 10 bit on both no problems at all i got friends with jiffy and strikmaster and both had issues this year i just put gas in and pull vrooom....-30 same thing....
Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tbigkid View Post
i have both a stihl and an echo both are really good no issues ever starting had the echo for while then got the stihl this year slower for sure than my buddy's jiffy but mine always starts..lolol and always starts easy and loads power got 10 bit on both no problems at all i got friends with jiffy and strikmaster and both had issues this year i just put gas in and pull vrooom....-30 same thing....
Sounds great, thanks for the info. That's pretty much where I am heading with my thinking. I'll trade a quick hole and a "might start" for a "definately will start" easily and will take a few extra seconds go get through the ice. Besides I bet by the time i got my old Jiffy started the Stihl would be started and almost through.

I just want to emphasize again, there are a lot of great Augers out there of all brands, no doubt. I have just decided the Stihl was better suited to my personal needs. My only concern was in wanted to hear from people go have actually used them, and so thanks for all the PM,so and posts regarding this!

One last question for the Stihl guys, have you been using the Stihl Auger bit, or other brands?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Normark or nothing

I've used a 10" Normark ever since King Ralph gave me the $400 toward the price and not a single hiccup. No new spark plugs, no tune-up or nothing except now on 2nd set of blades. I use it a lot. starts easy on cold days and weighs only 28 lb total. Most auger ads tell only the weight of the power head. Probably the quietest auger on the lake too.
Best investment in winter fun ever, for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Ibought a new Jiffy this year very happy with it, takes 3 pulls all the time to fire, I have a 15 year old jiffy that fires first pull every time..... probably a million holes on it!!!! Ha maybe not amillion lots though!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Just going to throw this out there.

Buy a eskimo.. You won't find many people who own one complain about them. They ALWAYS start, never break and are cheap to buy. Only complaint I have is the blades dull fast.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
Just going to throw this out there.

Buy a eskimo.. You won't find many people who own one complain about them. They ALWAYS start, never break and are cheap to buy. Only complaint I have is the blades dull fast.
I will go ahead and complain long and loud about the new eskimo augers! Personaly I would just go with a Husky, had one Stihl saw and it was an absolute pain to get started, never had a problem with anything Husky.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 PM

I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I dished out $600 for my Strikemaster 8" 2 years ago, and it has been worth every single penny . Not one singe starting issue, even in temps as cold as -28C. It's light, 4 stroke (which I like...no ****ing around with mixing oil and gas). I realize not everyone has the same budget, but if you have it I would really recommend a Strikemaster.

Previously I owned an Eskimo, got it on sale for around $200 I think, and it was junk. Trouble starting it all the time, troubles keeping it running ...this was all after having a new carb installed and factory tune up. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I would never buy an Eskimo again.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude17 View Post
I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I dished out $600 for my Strikemaster 8" 2 years ago, and it has been worth every single penny . Not one singe starting issue, even in temps as cold as -28C. It's light, 4 stroke (which I like...no ****ing around with mixing oil and gas). I realize not everyone has the same budget, but if you have it I would really recommend a Strikemaster.

Previously I owned an Eskimo, got it on sale for around $200 I think, and it was junk. Trouble starting it all the time, troubles keeping it running ...this was all after having a new carb installed and factory tune up. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I would never buy an Eskimo again.
Who makes the strikemaster motors these days? My Eskimo started like a dream, but it bogged out under load. Neither myself or a couple small engine mechanics could get it to stop, I ordered a new carb for it which needed to come out of the states and took so long to get here I just bought another auger and sold the Eskimo when the carb finaly came. Hope Geezle is having better luck with that auger than I did.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Who makes the strikemaster motors these days? My Eskimo started like a dream, but it bogged out under load. Neither myself or a couple small engine mechanics could get it to stop, I ordered a new carb for it which needed to come out of the states and took so long to get here I just bought another auger and sold the Eskimo when the carb finaly came. Hope Geezle is having better luck with that auger than I did.
Actually that auger is Awsome that Geezle has..almost convinced me to buy an Eskimo...he must have easiy drilled a thousand or so hole in the past 2years. It died once on the ice last year, we took it apart, cleaned out the plug, tweeted it a little and it has been flawless ever since....but I am going Stihl. I love the wrap around roll cage, the way the throttle is built into the handle, the splines auger bit connection, the easily adjustable carb, the transmission break, gear case lubrication check port, it's made to last, or be fixed/ adjusted in the Bush by the operated. I also love that the Stihl dealers have Stihl technicians on site. I also love that Stihl uses ony Stihl components made in Germany with certain parts made in the Stihl Factories in the United.STATES. These drills are planting trees in Africa, and drilling holes in the Artic. Any way it's the drill I am getting and just wanted to chat with guys who have used them, which now I have. Seems they were all in the boat I am. Tried of issues with the usual suspects. So far no issues with the Stihls under any conditions. I'm glad people are having great success with various brands, but knowing me, this unit will suit my needs best. Again thanks for all the input, knowledge and experience is Awsome!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Cal...

I do believe a German company called Solo makes the motors. They have been designing and making motors since 1940's or so. Pretty tough little motor, doesn't bog down under load, and is pretty quiet compared to a lot of augers I have seen/used. I mentioned before the auger was light, it weighs 24lbs.

Good luck with the new auger Thorne! Happy fishin!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM

If you haven't decided yet I'll through my two-bits in. I too vote for the NilsMaster. The Tanaka engine sounds wimpy at 1.35hp but it drills like a dream. Very quiet. Easy on gas. Turns slow - won't fill your boots. Unit is LIGHT. Powerhead and gearbox are not purpose built for an ice auger - they are industrial tools which NilsMaster has adapted to the fishing market. Long drill is standard - you never have to put on an extension. Cutter head is thick one-piece welded steel. Entire things seems to have no significant amount of plastic constuction. Will run about $650 this year. Got mine for less last year. Running Opti-2 we drilled up to 5-6 holes in a tent and didn't fumigate ourselves. You would not be sorry with this auger. If it works out I'll fish on the 24th somewhere and you are welcome to come run it.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
If you haven't decided yet I'll through my two-bits in. I too vote for the NilsMaster. The Tanaka engine sounds wimpy at 1.35hp but it drills like a dream. Very quiet. Easy on gas. Turns slow - won't fill your boots. Unit is LIGHT. Powerhead and gearbox are not purpose built for an ice auger - they are industrial tools which NilsMaster has adapted to the fishing market. Long drill is standard - you never have to put on an extension. Cutter head is thick one-piece welded steel. Entire things seems to have no significant amount of plastic constuction. Will run about $650 this year. Got mine for less last year. Running Opti-2 we drilled up to 5-6 holes in a tent and didn't fumigate ourselves. You would not be sorry with this auger. If it works out I'll fish on the 24th somewhere and you are welcome to come run it.
I was looking at those as well....awesome .machines, but unfortunately when I do my fence, and deck....the nils master won't cut the mustard....but yes great rigs!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 AM

I've got a stihl with a dirt and ice bit. Might be a bit heavier than cheaper augers, but always starts no matter how cold, and the power is incredible for running the dirt bit.