Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Homemade Campers

Was reading on here awhile back(can't find the thread now)homemade campers.
I am thinking of building something that quad will fit in back of truck and sleepable for hunting mostly.
Lets see some pics of your homemade campers.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Yes, I'm just finishing mine up.

7' Wide x 9' Long x 5' High. It's a pop-top build.

$234 for the lite 1" steel frame. Fur plywood outter shell, insulated with unknown idea for the inside as of today.

I can fit my dual sport bike or Quad with tracks into the camper, unload at the staging area then set up camp.

Big back door for loading what ever.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tiF4tn6xkLEQ9cNZ8
Old 07-18-2018, 10:16 AM

The problem with homemade campers is, well, they look homemade.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The problem with homemade campers is, well, they look homemade.
For a camper, why is that an issue?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
For a camper, why is that an issue?
It's only an issue if you're into designer jeans and brand name watches.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
It's only an issue if you're into designer jeans and brand name watches.
Although I do enjoy Swiss timepieces, both collecting and wearing. I have to agree with the case of what a camper looks like doesn't matter. It's not like you are going to be entering the 'look at me' contest in the local campground.

I always wanted to build one of these or a custom trailer. I have been toying with the idea of stripping an old horse trailer I have on the inside and making a hunting/camping/biking trailer but leaving the outside looking old. Not many thieves would ever break into an old horse trailer with the windows boarded up.
Might even add a "Phils Animal Rendering Service" sign on the side...
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Yes they are ugly, that's why we do a chity job making them. Ha

Less chances of getting robbed since no one want to steal from a homeless person.

Any Who, the home made camper project I'm on is build number 7 or 14,,, this lite weight 1" steel frame build is the strongest and most frugal build I've done to date.

About $2000 all in, or I could of bought a custom unit for a pretty fair Chunk of change,,, fat chance of that happening since I'd most likely only use mine about 200 days a year,,, ok,,, all year long since it is my support unit every where I go.

Motorcycle, Quad, fishing, hunting, relaxing shed on wheels.

That's where the light weigth pop-top campers come in handy,,, and a shooting shelter on those cold wind blowen days. I'm sure the wood stove will keep it toasty warm.

No trailer to pull here and there, then drop it off to store it some where, hook up to go,,, bla bla bla as I don't have the time for that.

If it's on my big truck, it's going to get used, it's not like I don't have other trucks on the farm to drive.

No big deal since I can drop the legs to use the unit for other things.

Options,,, lots of options for folks to choose from. Find what works and get at it.

One thing to mention, it helps if your dedicated to the build. It's wize to be all in or it ain't going to happen.

Make sure it is what you want before the build starts, that way all the crap is sorted.

Don
Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Actually, if you're willing to access the proper parts and take the trouble, they can look very professional. Now, I just have to finish mine.

Grizz
Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM

My next light weigth frame will be doubled up where the plywood joints meet, it all worked out since I added those fill in peaces with the MIG.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kru6pgtBu4XtJy9Q8

The Pop-top roof is offering some challanges at first, but I had it sorted on the hing idea.

The the back half lifts up as the front remains the same height.

That way I can stand up and stretch out fully with the high ceiling.

The front cab over peace is for storage only, when the bed is flipped up it locks everything in there.

I kept the in transport roof line as low as possible. Just under the 5' mark,,, "total height". That gives me 8" height in the over head birth for the pullout shelves up there.

If its not friendly to work with, I change it.

My auto wrecker friend give me the brackets and fuel tank so there is no gas cans to pack, ain't no way in 4@!! I'm loading and unloading those things.

Use the pump in the tank to transfer fuel to the toys as needed. I plumed my small gen-set iinto it as well.

The kitchen will be a part time rifle reloading and ice fishing set-up. And the free $700 office chair has a new home,,, Ha. Nothing like living the dream in a plywood box.

My build is for, traveling distance, out of sight out of mind, parking in small parking lots, and not pulling a trailer.

The winch on the quad will pull the critter into the camper, Quad parked on top, and I'm good to go. LOL.

This 9' Long idea is starting to work out

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-18-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:29 PM

As much as I've wanted to build one of these for years. It seems like you never finish. Most guys that build them seem to be planning the next one before they have even slept in the first one. Always saying "on the next one"

It is amazing how many functional features can be crammed into one of these.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:02 PM

I like to judge on appearance versus what’s inside... made many a wrong decision.

Homemade is all about keeping busy, problem solving and personal satisfaction. First one may not be pretty but watch out for version 2, 3, 4 etc.

Glad my son understands this.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:22 AM

What you building for a door Don,I would like to see some pics when its done.I just need a warm dry place to sleep for now.I have a little propane furanace out of a old camper I plan on mounting in there somewhere for heat.I am thinking a fold down bed - table(got to beable to play some cards).Just looking for some ideas before I start building.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Default ice fishing shack/camper

I built an ice fishing shack that fits on the back of a truck and could be used as a camper, and I think it looks pretty good. It's just stained plywood on the outside with 1.5" rigid insulation on the inside, a wood stove, fold down table and fold down queen size bed. Also has a solar panel with a deep cycle battery to power the lights/fan/sonar/underwater camera/etc. Someday I might put a metal roof on it.

It sits pretty high above the cab of the truck and even though it weighs less than 1/6 of what my truck camper weighs I burn as much gas hauling this ice shack around as the truck camper.

We spent 6 weekends on the ice last season in temps down to -28 and were toasty warm with the wood stove going. FYI, the Canawick brand fire blocks (http://canawick.com/en/produits.php?cat=Blocks&c=38) burn for about 8 hours when the stove is dampened down all the way. Creosote built up pretty quick though but much better than splitting wood and stoking the stove every 3-4 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solar panel 2.jpg (70.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg ICE SHACK PIGEON LAKE 2018.jpg (43.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg bed down.jpg (23.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg ice shack table3.jpg (81.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Its coming along.

2 half doors for the back, only 1 door becomes the main entrance way once the quad with tracks is on the ground.

I uses them for a few years, give them away and tie into the next one, it's all about improving the next build,,, no big deal since its all about having fun.

Another idea that comes to mind is adding a angle to the splash pannel that is directly behind the cab of the truck.

That way the air flow between the over hang & the roof of the truck "could" improve more smooth air flow.

Aero dynamics is key to fuel mileage "if" this is the part of the builder plan,,, I don't mine burning fuel,,, so long as distance is involved. Fast clip on legs and lifting eye-lets for loading,,, once loaded, take the legs off. That works for me at least.

Weight all so adds into the mix, but driving into a Pincher Creek head wind or on the Colorado flats will burn fuel like there is no tomorrow. Ha.

Been there done that.

Make the base universal so it fits in all trucks that you might own in the future.

Mine fits into my Dodge and Ford 1 ton long boxes, and into the Ford short box 1/2 ton.

That way it can easily be switch over to anyone's truck to head out on a trip.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM

I built one years ago. Had two rear doors .Small door inside the big door..
if I would do it again I would just buy an old one and cut the back out.

Reason is ..time you buy jacks and aluminum siding you can buy an old camper for $1500.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 AM

I remember seeing a design that was nothing short of brilliant, I don't think it was expedition portal.

Anyway, dude built basically a pop-up design on steroids.

It looked like a normal truck cap but opened up sideways with an inside cap to lock the outside cap, kinda like an A-Frame. Could stand up in the truck bed while open.

It was sheer brilliance. Wish I had a link.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I built one years ago. Had two rear doors .Small door inside the big door..
if I would do it again I would just buy an old one and cut the back out.

Reason is ..time you buy jacks and aluminum siding you can buy an old camper for $1500.
Ya but its just not the same......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

cargo trailers make good donors for these builds, mine is on a 6'x14' aluminum