Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I know exactly what you mean and this WAS the case on a previous outing and have since removed some backing and respooled my line. This day I had the fish on and she had already made a run so there was no line bound up. I was down to the boring beige line so I had over 40ft of fly line in the water. Guess I am just used to spin fishing with a nice smooth drag and letting the reel do its job.

I am currently using a Dragonfly Chilcotin reel. I like the larger arbour since my previous reel was an Okuma Sierra. Even if I have to palm it the size makes it superior in my mind.
If I had a reel with the problems you've described, I would take it back to where I got it or contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. I don't think even the most inexpensive reels should have the problems you've described. You may have one that is defective.

But I'm still not sold on the need for super turbo nitro nuclear drag systems for trout reels. Although all of my reels have them. wink, wink.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:48 PM

Question Reel Size

So lets say "hypothetically" I had a chance at a great reel but is is not the size for the exact line I am currently using (which is a 6wt) what is the major issues with using a larger or smaller reel?

Thinking logically I would think that a smaller rated reel like a 4wt you would not be able to put as much backing on it, and something larger like an 8wt might be heavier and could throw off the balance of your rod ... does that sound about right?

That being said is there any REAL issue with using different sized reels?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Just got a lamson liquid 3 pack from bass pro. I got a reel and two spare spools for a great price. I have yet to use it but testing the drag it feels fantastic. Hopefully I can sneak out Before the season ends to giver a go.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:34 PM

I've used Hardy Marquis Reels since 1970. Haven't worn one out yet. Drag system is simple, a pawl. They are fished about 80>100 days a year.
Haven't had a fish into the backing in perhaps 10 years and I generally catch a few every year over 7 lbs. or so.

Don
Old 10-07-2016, 01:28 AM

I do like the sound of the old SA click drags when a big one hits them and they run. The disc drag reels just don't make the same racket. I still use the click drag on my 3wt., I was contemplating putting one back on a 5 wt again.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
I've used Hardy Marquis Reels since 1970. Haven't worn one out yet. Drag system is simple, a pawl. They are fished about 80>100 days a year.
Haven't had a fish into the backing in perhaps 10 years and I generally catch a few every year over 7 lbs. or so.

Don
Exactly my original point.
Old school.
Also the beautiful sound.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Exactly my original point.
Old school.
Also the beautiful sound.
And they last and last.

Don
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
So lets say "hypothetically" I had a chance at a great reel but is is not the size for the exact line I am currently using (which is a 6wt) what is the major issues with using a larger or smaller reel?

Thinking logically I would think that a smaller rated reel like a 4wt you would not be able to put as much backing on it, and something larger like an 8wt might be heavier and could throw off the balance of your rod ... does that sound about right?

That being said is there any REAL issue with using different sized reels?
I'd say you have it right. The biggest issues would be balance to your rod, and line capacity. With a smaller reel, you probably would have a minor factor of being less able to quickly spank a lot of line with a big fish running at you, but that's probably moot for fishing these parts... not quite enough climate change yet to bring tarpon into our waters
Old 10-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I think you have that right. Those would be my main concerns. The smaller reel would also likely give you a slower retrieve rate than you could achieve with the correct sized reel. I'm not sure whether the drag would make any difference.... whether you would have a problem landing that bonefish with your 4wt reel . I'd use an off-sized reel in a pinch if I needed to, but I wouldn't purposely buy an unmatched one. But if someone gives you one for free and you are on a budget, give it a try. Can't hurt.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:44 PM

worst thing that is you may not have any room for backing at all. I have an old reel sized for a 4 wt with 6 or 7 on it for my boys to practice with and even with a regular arbor and no backing the line has to be wound up so it lies side by side the previous wrap. If not it jams up. As for balance most reels are fractional ounces from one size to next and almost negligible when held or cast. Now saying that putting a 10 wt reel on a 2 wt would not only look idiotic but be a waste of $$$. Do what you want. Flyfishing is about you and your style if it funtional and comfortable for you to do that then by all means
Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM

I actually came into a nice reel. Think it's a size larger than "ideal" but my rod is still well balanced and the quality is in a different league than my old one.

I tried it out today and It was AWESOME.
Looking forward to hooking into my next "big one" no more using my ****ty reel as an excuse.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I actually came into a nice reel. Think it's a size larger than "ideal" but my rod is still well balanced and the quality is in a different league than my old one.

I tried it out today and It was AWESOME.
Looking forward to hooking into my next "big one" no more using my ****ty reel as an excuse.

Please tell us what your new reel is. You didn't describe it and usually you have a lot to say.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Please tell us what your new reel is. You didn't describe it and usually you have a lot to say.
Hahaha sorry I guess I was just too happy about it to remember the basics. It's a Lamson Guru II. Was the easiest reel I have switched the retrieve on, smoothest drag and looks extremely well built.

If I NEEDED to say something negative, I am not sure how I feel about reels that don't have some sort of spool locking system instead of just pulling off the spool. And like I said previously I think it's one size bigger than is needed for my rod / line but I don't think that is going to be an issue at all.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 AM

I always go up a size so one can use double tapered lines
Somehow I've been able to handle the extra ounce when casting
Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hahaha sorry I guess I was just too happy about it to remember the basics. It's a Lamson Guru II. Was the easiest reel I have switched the retrieve on, smoothest drag and looks extremely well built.

If I NEEDED to say something negative, I am not sure how I feel about reels that don't have some sort of spool locking system instead of just pulling off the spool. And like I said previously I think it's one size bigger than is needed for my rod / line but I don't think that is going to be an issue at all.
Lamson! Lamson! Lamson! The Guru 2.0 is an amazing reel. I own two. You begin to appreciate the pop-off spool when you have cold hands. It is superior to fumbling trying to find the release pin.

If I were gifted a Guru 2.0 for 7/8wt rods, I would not hesitate to use it on a 5/6wt rod.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Lamsons are very well rated and I've never heard of anyone having issues with the spool locking system. I have never myself had any issues. I just wish they were "LOUDER".
Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Lamsons are very well rated and I've never heard of anyone having issues with the spool locking system. I have never myself had any issues. I just wish they were "LOUDER".
Still don't understand everyone's love of the click. I liked that my previous reels were silent. Maybe I will grow to love it too.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:57 AM

Having fly fished for both salmon and steelhead on the coast, and trout in the Bow River and the Missouri River, having a reel with a smooth, easily adjustable drag can be important.

In really clear water or where the fish are wary, one might have to go to very light leader and palming can result in a lot of breakoffs...been there on the Missouri.

Recommendations from me are not easy since I don't have any particular brand loyalty. On the coast I enjoyed using the old Hardy Marquis for steelhead, and guess what, palming worked fine 'cause most to the time leaders did not need to be flimsy. On the Bow and the few times I get to the coast, now I use my SA System 2 reels, but they have been discontinued so maybe look at the Lamsons.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I am currently using a Dragonfly Chilcotin reel. .
HA!!!!!!!!!! I laugh because that's the exact reel I bought from Flys Etc. when I picked up my 6wt TFO BVK last year. I used the reel once, with no problems, and then decided to replace it with a Sage 3200 when I bought another 3200 for my 5wt. rod. I felt a little guilty about replacing a reel that I had had no problems with simply because I wanted "better" (obviously not a "wife approved" purchase). First world problem, eh? Sad. So I'm HAPPY to hear you had problems with yours. LOL I rationalize that my Chilcotin is now my back-up reel should anything happen to either of my Sages.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM

I am only talking about our stream freshwater trout etc not big salt water trips.

If I need more drag I simply pinch the line more.

It is nice to have a nice gear but I honestly rely on my fly reel to hold the line, the rest is up to me.....

My reels are old but functional. In their day they were quality reels. Nothing has changed; I still catch fish and a $250 dollar reel will not likely change that.

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then that is all that is important.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I am only talking about our stream freshwater trout etc not big salt water trips.

If I need more drag I simply pinch the line more.

It is nice to have a nice gear but I honestly rely on my fly reel to hold the line, the rest is up to me.....

My reels are old but functional. In their day they were quality reels. Nothing has changed; I still catch fish and a $250 dollar reel will not likely change that.

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, then that is all that is important.
My thoughts exactly. I have never hooked in to an Alberta trout that made me wish I had anything better than the $25 reels I bought off of ebay.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
My thoughts exactly. I have never hooked in to an Alberta trout that made me wish I had anything better than the $25 reels I bought off of ebay.
I had one that prompted this hole thing that "spooled" my line and burnt my finger at the same time. That fish will haunt my dreams because I didn't even get to see what it was.

Was it my 10+lb bull or was it bow that happened to get tail fowl hooked. Guess I will never know.

Less of course I get that fly back the next time I land the beast.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Then you have never tangled with one of these:

I have caught smaller steelhead. Went into my backing twice. Probably chased him down the river about 100m.

Since catching this one, I have easily caught over a dozen rainbows in that 24" class on the Bow river.

But yeah, unless you are fishing the Bow River, no need for anything other than a line holding device.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Then you have never tangled with one of these:

I have caught smaller steelhead. Went into my backing twice. Probably chased him down the river about 100m.

Since catching this one, I have easily caught over a dozen rainbows in that 24" class on the Bow river.

But yeah, unless you are fishing the Bow River, no need for anything other than a line holding device.
Very near that size. Right after the 2013 flood in high, dirty water. Rainbow took me into the backing several times. The drag on my reel more than enough to help me play the fish. Ultimately the fish snapped of just before I brought him in. Drag was set too tight. Just because I use cheap gear it doesn't mean I don't hook in to big fish.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Very near that size. Right after the 2013 flood in high, dirty water. Rainbow took me into the backing several times. The drag on my reel more than enough to help me play the fish. Ultimately the fish snapped of just before I brought him in. Drag was set too tight. Just because I use cheap gear it doesn't mean I don't hook in to big fish.
Means you didn't land it though.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Fancy reels are all well and good but angler skill is far more important. The VAST majority of lost trout aren't due to smoking a reel's drags system but rather angler error. If you can afford one of the more expensive reels mentioned in the thread...terrific...they work well. If you can't, it's not a problem, big trout are caught on modest set ups all the time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Fancy reels are all well and good but angler skill is far more important. The VAST majority of lost trout aren't due to smoking a reel's drags system but rather angler error. If you can afford one of the more expensive reels mentioned in the thread...terrific...they work well. If you can't, it's not a problem, big trout are caught on modest set ups all the time.

No one is disagreeing, but being new and not having the skills needed to land big fish on modest equipment, having a nice smooth drag gives the less skilled (like myself) a little extra help which might be the difference between a break off and the best fish of the year.

If anyone would have asked me a year ago my opinion, I would have said that for fly fishing a reel is just a line holder. Since then experience has changed my mind. Hopefully someday I get the skill to once again say it's just a line holder but for now I believe it's going to help me and even that thought improves my confidence.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
No one is disagreeing, but being new and not having the skills needed to land big fish on modest equipment, having a nice smooth drag gives the less skilled (like myself) a little extra help which might be the difference between a break off and the best fish of the year.

If anyone would have asked me a year ago my opinion, I would have said that for fly fishing a reel is just a line holder. Since then experience has changed my mind. Hopefully someday I get the skill to once again say it's just a line holder but for now I believe it's going to help and even the thought will improve my confidence.
Fair enough, there's no downside to having a good reel of course. As previously mentioned, if you're looking for price and quality...I'd agree with Lamson. Cheeky is also a newer company that makes nice stuff for a decent price.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Means you didn't land it though.
If you need that logic to justify buying gear, farbeit for me to stop you. Other fish have been landed.... even if one got away. And no, it wasn't the reel's fault. It was mine.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
If you need that logic to justify buying gear, farbeit for me to stop you. Other fish have been landed.... even if one got away. And no, it wasn't the reel's fault. It was mine.
My thoughts as well