Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyT View Post
Here is a test to try, take your unloaded new rifle,cock the action and thump the but plate on the floor to see if it will slam fire. I have two new remington rifles that would slam fire without ever firing a shot. I know most would not expect this or understand how it is possible but it can happen. When I carry a rifle with one in the spout I uncock the bolt when I close it, then when I am ready to shoot I lift the bolt strait up and down with no cycling or noise, very quick and very safe for everyone, don’t put all your trust into the hands of a unskilled under paid gun maker looking to make a buck.
So you consider it safe to walk around with a live round in the chamber, with the firing pin resting against the primer?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Default Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
When I leave truck / camp, there is a round in the chamber.

A lot quieter to flick a safety off than cycle the action on my R1.

Two of the most useless things on earth - a dull knife and an empty gun.
Some dangerous things are the WRONG person with a sharp knife and loaded gun
Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Here is a test to try, take your unloaded new rifle,cock the action and thump the but plate on the floor to see if it will slam fire. I have two new remington rifles that would slam fire without ever firing a shot. I know most would not expect this or understand how it is possible but it can happen. When I carry a rifle with one in the spout I uncock the bolt when I close it, then when I am ready to shoot I lift the bolt strait up and down with no cycling or noise, very quick and very safe for everyone, don’t put all your trust into the hands of a unskilled under paid gun maker looking to make a buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So you consider it safe to walk around with a live round in the chamber, with the firing pin resting against the primer?
We have a new most dangerous carry method. Amazing ideas in this thread. Maybe you should trust the gunmaker until you learn how your gun works. Sounds like they have a better idea of safety than you do.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Laughing!

-Billy Molls
Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Resting is kind. More like pushing against.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
This is an accident waiting to happen
Old 04-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Please never do this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
And have you ever tried this same "experiment" with the uncocked bolt in the position you advocate?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
And have you ever tried this same "experiment" with the uncocked bolt in the position you advocate?
I doubt that very much otherwise his methods might change
Cat
Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Sorry to offend all you wise men, with over 40 high end custom rifles and 40 plus years handling my rifles I have never been able to have one discharge on its own.Have had several factory rifles that have failed when the safety was released. Just so you know I did not come up with my method I was taught it by a ex military gent who has handled more firearms than any of you will do in 3 lifetimes. Have a. Nice day.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Having the firing Pin protruding against a live primer is just an accident waiting to happen and I wouldn’t hunt with or associate with someone who does something so silly.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry to offend all you wise men, with over 40 high end custom rifles and 40 plus years handling my rifles I have never been able to have one discharge on its own.Have had several factory rifles that have failed when the safety was released. Just so you know I did not come up with my method I was taught it by a ex military gent who has handled more firearms than any of you will do in 3 lifetimes. Have a. Nice day.
Yeah well guess what- just because
that guy was " ex military" doesn't
Mean he was some kind of firearms expert .
Try this out for size , take your bolt out and de-cock it and see what sticks out of the end - THAT is what your live round is resting on when you walk around with a round in the chamber de- cocked
Doesn't matter if if is a cock on opening like a '98 Mauser type or a cock on closing type like a '96 Mayser or an Enfield type - it's bloody dangerous period .
I know LOTS of true experts and real military types BTW and none of them carry a firearm like that of even advocate it.
If your firearm discharged when the safety cane off it was more than likely messed with by one of your called "expert" military buddies
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-16-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Common Ground?

Quote:
Hey folks I think we have some common ground here in that none would feel this is a good practice

FWIW my methods are situation dependant WRT hot pipe/not hot pipe, half cocked, etc... Muzzle control being paramount.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I don't have 40 high end guns and I'm not even forty yet, but I still know it's stupid to walk around with the firing pin pushed up against the primer on a live round.
Not all ex military guys are gun experts or smart for that matter.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Spot and stalk chamber one right away. Or once on stand I chamber one. I can put a finger on the shell as it is pushed in by the bolt. Cuts the noise down
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM

If one is shy about dry firing, decocking the bolt makes sense.......on an empty chamber.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I don't have 40 high end guns and I'm not even forty yet, but I still know it's stupid to walk around with the firing pin pushed up against the primer on a live round.
Not all ex military guys are gun experts or smart for that matter.
Yup could have been a postal clerk....
Stamp licker.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Luke 23:34 comes to mind when I read this.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM

I decock. Dry fire very rare.
Never decocked on a live round.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

And you got a 5 klick walk across slippery ground, up Ravines, across a stream all in the dark to get to your location an hour before sunrise with a round in the chamber....for what reason?
Unless you close the truck door or close the cabin door and go into stalk mode ya never know eh whats out and about at 10:00 am....just poking fun.
Be safe.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Luke 23:34 comes to mind when I read this.
And they divided up his guns by casting lots.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Just one question.

Quote:
How many fingers does he have?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Empty gun

Quote:

I have shot buffalo, moose,elk, mule deer, wt deer, b bear, pigs wild and domestic, beef, wolf, coyote , lynx,fox, 100`s beaver, muskrat, mink and ducks, geese, grouse carrying a empty single shot firearm until I needed to load
one in the barrel. Maybe I could have done better walking around loaded
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have shot buffalo, moose,elk, mule deer, wt deer, b bear, pigs wild and domestic, beef, wolf, coyote , lynx,fox, 100`s beaver, muskrat, mink and ducks, geese, grouse carrying a empty single shot firearm until I needed to load
one in the barrel. Maybe I could have done better walking around loaded
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
. Just so you know I did not come up with my method I was taught it by a ex military gent who has handled more firearms than any of you will do in 3 lifetimes.
Might that be the reason he is ex military? Military doesn't suffer fools that do that sort of thing.

No offense to military guys but many here shoot more rounds and handle more guns than most military guys do.

Take your bolt out of your rifle and uncock it so the firing pin sticks out of the boltface. Then take a live loaded round in your hand, center the primer on the protruding firing pin and push it back into the bolt face then tell us how you feel about it.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Bad Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Might that be the reason he is ex military? Military doesn't suffer fools that do that sort of thing.

No offense to military guys but many here shoot more rounds and handle more guns than most military guys do.

Take your bolt out of your rifle and uncock it so the firing pin sticks out of the boltface. Then take a live loaded round in your hand, center the primer on the protruding firing pin and push it back into the bolt face then tell us how you feel about it.
Please don’t promote unsafe acts, someone might take you up on that to prove something.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Please don’t promote unsafe acts, someone might take you up on that to prove something.
Charles Darwin had a theory about someone who would do that sort of thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Banned

And through our lifetime we drink hundreds of cups of coffee and none of us have any spills either! and we all pass gas and NEVER have a wet fart!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I never posted on this thread because I thought the whole conversation was kind of a matter of situational opinion and not worth arguing about. That was till I saw this. This isn't just dumb it is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous. Please, so not ever consider listeing to this advice, never carry a loaded round on a dropped firing pin. There is a very good reason the cowboys carried their six shooters with the hammer on an empty chamber and that levers had and still have half cock. De-cocking onto a live round is bad enough, carrying it around like that is even worse.

If it was an ex-military that taught it to you, remember, the entrance requirement for the military is a 90 I.Q. Same idiot leaders that made their men shoot 1000s of rounds a week for years with no ear protection and had multiple friendly fires where guys shot each other in the back because they were trained to walk locked and loaded, safety off, walking single file into a building or hot zone. (Don't flame me on the military, my Dad and lots of other family members served, and many died, and did so through both WWs and many conflicts. Doesn't make the military leadership a brain trust worried about their men.)

Last edited by Dean2; 04-16-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
...When I carry a rifle with one in the spout I uncock the bolt when I close it, then when I am ready to shoot I lift the bolt strait up and down with no cycling or noise, very quick and very safe for everyone...
Eight pounds.

That's my 96 mauser's uncocked firing pin pressure
exerted on a primer.

If you do the pi r squared of the pin diameter & get the psi
it's more impressive.

Billy, your discharge tests appear to require
failure or misadjustment of safety and/or sear to fire.

But the misguided firing pin-on-primer only requires inertia to fire.