Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Anyone have experiences adopting children through Alberta Children’s Services?

As the title reads, my wife and I are hoping to learn from the wealth of knowledge on the forum.

We made the decision to grow our family through adoption with kids that are coming from foster care. We have done the initial training courses and are waiting to see if the matching process gives us the opportunity. Well, that opportunity has come up this week and we are waiting to find out more.

What we are looking for is is there anyone on here that has gone through the process? How long did the process take from when you got the call until the info sharing stage and time it took to transition the child into your home. Any tips to making the transition go smoothly? Lastly, how did everything go?

Please PM me if you don’t want to share on here.

Thanks all!

Daryl
Old 11-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Will send a PM
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 AM

I haven't gone through the process myself but a former co worker has. Unfortunately they lost the first child at around the 2 year mark because the birth mother was able to prove she was fit enough to get the child back. She was a drug addict who was making progress in a recovery program. A few years later they were able to adopt a second child, I don't know all the details but there was a rather expensive custody battle for the second child as well. I got laid off before I learned the outcome of that case.

Don't quote me on this but from what I gathered there is some sort of waiting period (2 years I want to say) before you can get full custody of the child.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Good on you Daryl.

I'm not sure if you have kids already, if you do, then l'm sure you and the better half will be kind and wize at sharing your love equally.

My Mom and Dad became wize to this since our family up bringing was many half brothers and sisters.
Uncles and Aunts of our large family took on these challanges.

There will be challanges along the way, nothing comes easy my folks would say, its not suppose to. LOL.

Here I am 50 years later looking back at this as I reflect on the past.
Could this or that be different,,, I wonder what our adopted kin brothers and sisters think today.

All of us felt that we we're getting the short end of the stick once in awhile,,, but now I see that our whole family shared in equal love and kindness all the time.
Yes there was small aspirations of favoritism, this took place here and there,,, but our folks would talk to us about things and how it would play out.

Funny how both of our parents could jungle each situation as they come up.

Work and home life style, their friends and recreation time.

Looking back at this makes me wonder how they pulled it off. I guess they just did what they had to do.

The cousins / foster kids we're lucky to. Yes that they have gone threw alot before being welcomed into a solid home environment. I feel sorry or a better word empathy of the situations that put them there in the first place.

My uncle shared these words many times.

Walk a mile in their shoes, then come back and tell me what you think.

Man,,, I'm I and my brothers / sisters every lucky to have kind and wize parents that truely shared in this.

Today I hug my adopted sister since its a true gift to have her as part of our family.
I hope I've become the brother she has always wanted, humbled and hounered too the max.

Again, challanges will be there, it will be testing you and family at times. The rewards are worth it once you open up your home and hart.

I'm sure that you and your family have been thinking this threw.

Both of my parents are still alive today, even today they are the happiest proud parents ever.

3 awesome children and 1 who is special, LOL. I know,,, I'm not suppose to talk about my self that way.

Don at becoming the brother I was born to be,,, child to elder that now fosters care for my folks that raised me.

The good son I can be.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I haven't gone through the process myself but a former co worker has. Unfortunately they lost the first child at around the 2 year mark because the birth mother was able to prove she was fit enough to get the child back. She was a drug addict who was making progress in a recovery program. A few years later they were able to adopt a second child, I don't know all the details but there was a rather expensive custody battle for the second child as well. I got laid off before I learned the outcome of that case.

Don't quote me on this but from what I gathered there is some sort of waiting period (2 years I want to say) before you can get full custody of the child.
We do have two kids already, had 3 but 1 passed away over 7 years ago.

I didn’t know there would be a waiting period to complete the legal adoption as the children already have parental rights terminated before they can be adopted. Good to know! Thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Good on you Daryl.

I'm not sure if you have kids already, if you do, then l'm sure you and the better half will be kind and wize at sharing your love equally.

My Mom and Dad became wize to this since our family up bringing was many half brothers and sisters.
Uncles and Aunts of our large family took on these challanges.

There will be challanges along the way, nothing comes easy my folks would say, its not suppose to. LOL.

Here I am 50 years later looking back at this as I reflect on the past.
Could this or that be different,,, I wonder what our adopted kin brothers and sisters think today.

All of us felt that we we're getting the short end of the stick once in awhile,,, but now I see that our whole family shared in equal love and kindness all the time.
Yes there was small aspirations of favoritism, this took place here and there,,, but our folks would talk to us about things and how it would play out.

Funny how both of our parents could jungle each situation as they come up.

Work and home life style, their friends and recreation time.

Looking back at this makes me wonder how they pulled it off. I guess they just did what they had to do.

The cousins / foster kids we're lucky to. Yes that they have gone threw alot before being welcomed into a solid home environment. I feel sorry or a better word empathy of the situations that put them there in the first place.

My uncle shared these words many times.

Walk a mile in their shoes, then come back and tell me what you think.

Man,,, I'm I and my brothers / sisters every lucky to have kind and wize parents that truely shared in this.

Today I hug my adopted sister since its a true gift to have her as part of our family.
I hope I've become the brother she has always wanted, humbled and hounered too the max.

Again, challanges will be there, it will be testing you and family at times. The rewards are worth it once you open up your home and hart.

I'm sure that you and your family have been thinking this threw.

Both of my parents are still alive today, even today they are the happiest proud parents ever.

3 awesome children and 1 who is special, LOL. I know,,, I'm not suppose to talk about my self that way.

Don at becoming the brother I was born to be,,, child to elder that now fosters care for my folks that raised me.

The good son I can be.
Thanks for the reply, my wife also has a brother who was adopted. We know we are making the right decision for us. The kids are excited to see where it takes us and they all know there will be some challenges along the way.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM

e adopted our daughter at 4 hrs old she is 16 now

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-18-2017, 05:50 AM

I think times have changed over the years in the adoption world, purhaps a person might choose to research lots of ideas, questions, and thoughts when chatting with folks in the adoption agencies.

Don't get me right or wrong Daryl but in "some cases" here in Canada things have "once in awhile" gone off the rails for all 3 parties involved.
The birth parents, the adopting parents and the adoption agency.

It would be nice to have open discloser if that's a correct way to say it. I don't like using this as an example,,, but its the only way to share this thought I share freely.

It would be nice to know what the full details are going in, more importantly is knowing what details that are talked about and things that have not come up in the "legal" ramifications of our court systems today.

One might think of this as the "what ifs." of course there are a hand full of instances in which adoption cases have de-railed in Canada, and I'm "guessing,,, only guessing" that there are a few being challenged in the courts today.

The sad thing is that if things go sideways, then 2 of the parties involved both get hurt and burdened by the legal system. One party more dishearten then the other.

Yes that nothing is written in stone, there "could" be challanges at the higher level un-seen at the time by both birth and adoption partners in todays world.

An example for instance might be:

The birth mother gives up the child due to "factors," as time passes and the change of mind arises, see could decide to challange her past ideas that she might not of wanted to do back then.

Another "possible" player might be the birth father who at the time did not "or" was not involved at all in the adoption posses,,, one would think that he might not of been an active parent since the mother and him were not together during the pregnancy, or had offered any support In his life time... But under Canada's rule of law "even he is allowed to challange the system."

Of coures these are the Gray areas, un-seen, un-known, and not discovered.

CBC radio had a few of the adoption cases on air over the years.
It was truely sad to see one party get hurt, and the other excel at the hands of the Court systems of Canada.

One would hope or pray that something like this would never happen to them,,, but there is hope in this.

Asking the questions of what is coveref and what is not.
Preparing in the back of the minds family, "parents, kids, relatives," of the unknowns.

Of course life in general is like this in some ways,,, but being wize and keen to this lighten's the inner load of ones self.

I only share in this because it's purhaps wize at offering ideas, thoughts, or part of areas in every thing we do now days Daryl.

I want you, your better half, and youngers to succeed if your family goes this route.
More so for the child or children them selves.
It is as much as the new parents that adopt the child as the child that adopts the parents.

Again my friend, there are no givens in life, but with good planing, kind harts and being wize allows us to make choses in a complex world we live in today.

Preparation comes in many forms, same as the unknown results.
None of know this till we get there. This might be why we do what we do.

Don