Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Shipping Trophies from South Africa

So I have finally paid my taxidermist and have a handful of trophies coming back from South Africa.

I got an email from the shipping company quoting about $2,000 USD to ship 3 shoulder mounts and 2 skull mounts back. Much higher than I was expecting, but I suppose it "is what it is". Does that seem like a normal shipping rate for those who have dealt with this before? It includes the process to get rid of potential bacteria/bugs or whatever the heck that whole thing is, and also ground transport, packing, etc. So it's probably just what I will need to pay. But I was curious if this seems like a normal type of price.

Secondly, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good (or bad) broker companies here to deal with the import. Apparently that's another part of the process with additional costs. Would be shipping into Calgary, so any recommendations are appreciated. Also, any ballpark on what it should cost so I don't get totally hosed?

By the time I add up the flights, trips, trophy fees, taxidermy, shipping of trophies, etc, etc. etc I wish I wasn't so hooked on Africa. Then again, I'll get over it soon and go back again next year.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:45 PM

After our hunt a few years ago we had our taxidermy done in Namibia. When it came time to ship the mounts we thought the prices were significantly higher than we were originally told. We had the PH get a hold of the shipper and sort things out. Price dropped dramatically. Might be worth a try to have him check things out?