Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Vortex

So maybe its called bad luck but Im at my last straw with Vortex.
Last fall I bought a new set of Vortex Diamondback 10x50 binoculars,
Took them out the box and couldn't get a clear round circle no matter what i did,
Sent them in and they replaced them and they are still sitting in my hunting room un-opened.

Second I bought a Vortex Viper Hs 2.5x14x44, Same thing,mounted the scope and installed my laser bore sighter in and up/down dial wouldn't move,removed scope and sent in. Get my new scope in and put it on.Installed new factory Browning X-bolt rings and tried to bore sight again, This time the left to right is fine but the up and down is maxed out and can't go up any more,I removed scope and rings to make sure that I hadn't installed them wrong-All good.
No with days before hunting season doesnt look like I'll be shooting my new rifle unless I purchase another new scope.

Just wondering if anyone else has had bad luck with Vortex lately

Pin
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post

Took them out the box and couldn't get a clear round circle no matter what i did,
Sent them in and they replaced them and they are still sitting in my hunting room un-opened.

Second I bought a Vortex Viper Hs 2.5x14x44, Same thing,mounted the scope and installed my laser bore sighter in and up/down dial wouldn't move,removed scope and sent in. Get my new scope in and put it on.Installed new factory Browning X-bolt rings and tried to bore sight again, This time the left to right is fine but the up and down is maxed out and can't go up any more,I removed scope and rings to make sure that I hadn't installed them wrong-All good.
No with days before hunting season doesnt look like I'll be shooting my new rifle unless I purchase another new scope.

Pin
If your maxed out in elevation it likely does not have anything to do with the scope but with the mounting hardware.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Pin
I haven't owned a Vortex, but a few family members, hunting buddies and and friends here on the forum have and I will try and get to the point. I've heard and seen enough of these issues that I've formed an opinion.

Vortex scopes can be outstanding products that are comparable to other brands which cost more money.

UNFORTUNATELY

Too many issues seem to come up time and time again with Vortex.

I don't know what the exact numbers are but - here's how I think about it - If you consider the possibility there are probably 10 Leopold scopes sold for every one Vortex sells, and you hear 10 complaints about Vortex versus every one complaint you hear about Leopold ...... that means, locally, the quality of a Leopold scope is 100 times better.

That's specifically why I stick to the 3 brands I've stuck to. Zeiss, Leopold and Swarovski.

I personally had issues with lower end optics like Tasco and Bushnell, but, frankly, they were much cheaper and could be excused as "you get what you pay for". Unfortunately you can't say with Vortex, they have some very pricey optics.

Maybe they are just fine tuning their products and still don't have all the bugs (and QC) worked out yet? I dunno???

Just my 2 cents ....
Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

I had one Vortex. Did not give them a second try.

My latest optics acquisition is a Trijicon Accupower. We’ll see how it does.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I haven't owned a Vortex, but a few family members, hunting buddies and and friends here on the forum have and I will try and get to the point. I've heard and seen enough of these issues that I've formed an opinion.

Vortex scopes can be outstanding products that are comparable to other brands which cost more money.

UNFORTUNATELY

I don't know what the exact numbers are but - here's how I think about it - If you consider the possibility there are probably 10 Leopold scopes sold for every one Vortex sells, and you hear 10 complaints about Vortex versus every one complaint you hear about Leopold ...... that means, locally, the quality of a Leopold scope is 100 times better.

That's specifically why I stick to the 3 brands I've stuck to. Zeiss, Leopold and Swarovski.

I personally had issues with lower end optics like Tasco and Bushnell, but, frankly, they were much cheaper and could be excused as "you get what you pay for". Unfortunately you can't say with Vortex, they have some very pricey optics.

Maybe they are just fine tuning their products and still don't have all the bugs (and QC) worked out yet? I dunno???

Just my 2 cents ....
I have never tried a Leopold scope. Have a few Leupold ones though.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM

I would at least put a couple rounds through the gun and see whats actually happening before condemning the scope. I'm not saying that the scope isn't defective, but I would want to see what's happening on paper because I've had issues with laser boresighters before.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM

Browning has a lousy set up for scopes. I have had several A bolts and all maxed out with various leupold scopes. The only way I could deal with it was to go to burris signature rings that you can get plus minus inserts for. The last one I did I put a minus 20 in the front and a plus 5 on the back. That slopes the scope down at the front. It isn't your scope. Stupid brownings.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

get a 20 moa picatinny rail
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

I have three Vortex products, 2 scopes and 1 pair binoculars for about 4-5 years now. Glass remains clear and I have never had a problem with them.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

I just finished mounting my Leupold LRP and when I bore sight it was dead on.
I have zero doubt I will be a couple mills out maximum. I ran Vortex tactical rings too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171030_211348369.jpg (37.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171030_211359009.jpg (43.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by SlightlyDistracting; 10-30-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Cool Vortex

I've owned two Vortex optics in the past.

I don't go there anymore.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM

I have a set of Diamondback Binos, a Viper Scope & a Viper HD Spotter and couldnt be happier.
They all work flawlessly and have had zero issues.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

I currently have two Vortex scopes and they are very good. They tracked well enough during benchrest meets. The scopes I bought are very much hunting scopes but they do everything as advertised.

A buddy of mine has a lower end Vortex on a Browning and he ran into so issues as well but it turns out it was a mounting issue, not a scope issue.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM

I own vortex binoculars/spotting scope and rifle scope with no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezm View Post
i haven't owned a vortex, but a few family members, hunting buddies and and friends here on the forum have and i will try and get to the point. I've heard and seen enough of these issues that i've formed an opinion.

Unfortunately

too many issues seem to come up time and time again with vortex.

I don't know what the exact numbers are but - here's how i think about it - if you consider the possibility there are probably 10 leopold scopes sold for every one vortex sells, and you hear 10 complaints about vortex versus every one complaint you hear about leopold ...... That means, locally, the quality of a leopold scope is 100 times better.

That's specifically why i stick to the 3 brands i've stuck to. Zeiss, leopold and swarovski.

I personally had issues with lower end optics like tasco and bushnell, but, frankly, they were much cheaper and could be excused as "you get what you pay for". Unfortunately you can't say with vortex, they have some very pricey optics.

Maybe they are just fine tuning their products and still don't have all the bugs (and qc) worked out yet? I dunno???

Just my 2 cents ....
yep bought quality glass 30 yrs never had issues ,zeiss binos and scopes
Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my coyote gun and it has worked as advertised for the past 6 years.

Had Vortex Viper HD bino's as well and were excellent glass and never an issue.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 PM

Never used their scopes. I do have a set of 10x42 Crossfire binoculars from Vortex and they have had zero issues. For the price of them they are quite good. I have heard complaints on their scopes however. The rep came on here a while back and got a bit of a cold welcome as well.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:39 PM

I have high end Bushnells, Leupolds, a Swarovski a couple Vortex and a set of Vortex bins. Don't have a problem with any of them. All track good. All have good glass. The Vortex deliver that at a lower price point. Sometimes I think that blaming Vortex for ones problems is fashionable. Like hating Nickelback.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:49 PM

I tried vortex scopes and have major problems with fogging, and internal moisture. They're gone now.
I did purchase two sets of diamondback 10x42 binoculars. They are junk. They fog, there's internal moisture, they tunnel bad. I tried to use their over the counter warranty replacement, to no avail. I tried to send em back to vortex, they said to take em back to retailer for replacement. ha! Yeah right! So now the kids use em.

Junk.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I tried vortex scopes and have major problems with fogging, and internal moisture. They're gone now.
I did purchase two sets of diamondback 10x42 binoculars. They are junk. They fog, there's internal moisture, they tunnel bad. I tried to use their over the counter warranty replacement, to no avail. I tried to send em back to vortex, they said to take em back to retailer for replacement. ha! Yeah right! So now the kids use em.

Junk.
Ive got the same Binos and mine are great! 3yrs running now
Old 10-31-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I have never tried a Leopold scope. Have a few Leupold ones though.
Damn Spell Check !!!!!!!

lol
Old 10-31-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Damn Spell Check !!!!!!!

lol
Sorry, I could not resist.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM

I have bino’s and scope from vortex. I broke the binos in half so I mailed them to vortex a few weeks later I received a new set no questions. For the price I think there good .
Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post

Junk.
Vortex does not have an OTC warranty program. https://www.vortexcanada.net/en/vip-warranty/
You're likely thinking about Scorpion optics. And yes, they are junk.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Pin
There is no Viper HS 2.5-14x44. You have incorrect mounting hardware by the sounds of it. Get different rings.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:

UNFORTUNATELY

Just my 2 cents ....
There is not anywhere near the same number of Leupolds sold as there is Vortex. Vortex outsells them 3-1. Maybe more. Possibly not in your circle of friends, but that's the truth of it.

There are different levels of glass. The lower end is not good. Their upper price point is not too shabby.

There are very, very few customers that have come to me saying that they have issues with their Vortex optics. Literally 3 in the last 2 years that I can think of in our shop. All were the lower end optics. And I am 99% sure that one of those was not the fault of the optic but the user.

I'm not saying they are the best. Far from it actually. But they do not deserve the flogging they are getting. I see and deal with optics every single day. I am not talking about things heard from friends of friends.

By the way... VX1 and VX2 is going bye, bye. I'm betting that you will see something like the lower end of Vortex to compete with the price point. Buy up the VX1's and VX2's now before they are gone.