Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM

Default Removing Mag tube from BPS

Had my follower keep coming out into the action every time I would cycle the pump.... ordered a replacement and I am now trying to remove the mag tube to install it. It's being quite stubborn and will not budge any tips or tricks would be welcome.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 AM

I've only ever owned one BPS in my life and never had it apart so I can't advise you on that but I use google when I'm stuck taking something apart, it's amazing what you can dig up that way. Some one some where will have posted something about that very thing online!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 AM

The mag tube is threaded into the receiver, you often have to put it in a padded vice to turn it loose if you can't get enough grip using a piece of rubber and your bare hands. One of those rubber strap style chain wrenches also work well if you have the right size.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 AM

The simplest method to replace the follower is to remove the bevel at the end of the magazine tube and remove everything out the front . CAUTION everything is under spring tension and will fly out if not controlled . Browning doesn't recommend removing the magazine tube . If one has to they are assembled with locktite . Heat is required as well as blocks to keep from crushing mag tube and caution not to deform receiver .
Old 09-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovi View Post
Had my follower keep coming out into the action every time I would cycle the pump.... ordered a replacement and I am now trying to remove the mag tube to install it. It's being quite stubborn and will not budge any tips or tricks would be welcome.
You might want to visit your gunsmith.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
The simplest method to replace the follower is to remove the bevel at the end of the magazine tube and remove everything out the front . CAUTION everything is under spring tension and will fly out if not controlled . Browning doesn't recommend removing the magazine tube . If one has to they are assembled with locktite . Heat is required as well as blocks to keep from crushing mag tube and caution not to deform receiver .
All completely true. If all that is wrong is the follower than the tube doesn't need to come off to replace it. I assumed there was more wrong with the mag tube than just the follower because even the owners manual tells you how to replace the mag limiter and follower /spring etc from the top without removing the tube.