Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Default Leaders in murky water

Knowing that Walleye have superior sight do I still need a fluorocarbon leader in extremely murky water? The camera can't see anything except floaties ( algae, other plant material,& shrimp less than 2 inches away) I have a 30 lb black Berkley steelon wire-wound leader 6" or 9" on some rods & tip ups. This is do to the Pike that are ever present. I have recently gone leader free on a few rods that have 20lb Suffix 832 braid(6lb mono equivalent)so far I have not noticed a difference with the Pike. I do find I can get more Walleye jigging this way, but have caught some large Pike that broke me off when doing the gator roll.So should I use a fluorocarbon leader instead of just main line braid?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 PM

I just use the braid when I'm targeting walleyes. I know pike are around but usually don't catch many. I haven't noticed a difference in the catch rates between braid and fluro.

If I'm targeting like I'll run a fluro leader of a higher strength to prevent bite through.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 AM

I've just started using a 20 pound fluorocarbon leader all the time now when fishing walleye and pike and haven't lost any hooks so far. Seems to get the job done.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 AM

I would, if you have ever watched walleye you will know that often they come and sit inches away from your lure analysing it deciding whether or not to bite.

If fishing for walleye specifically and using cheap lures like jigs I use 8 lb fluorocarbon line as my leader material.

If fishing for walleye in a spot with lots of pike or using a bit more expensive lure like say jigging raps or slender spoons I will step up to 20-25 lb fluorocarbon. This allows you to land most pike(you will still get broke off occasionally but if you make sure to check line for nicks after each pike and retie if present then break offs are rare).

If fishing specifically for pike I currently use 40 lb fluoro just cause I am trying to use the rest of the spool up. 40 lb should be the absolutely minimum for targeting pike imo, I am going to step up to 60 next time.

I prefer titanium leaders in the summer but in the winter because you are using primarily static presentations I think fluoro is important.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Leaders in murky water

Thanks for the advice guys! I appreciate it. Looks like I will start using fluorocarbon all the time.