Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Default Tiger trout

After watching some You Tubes of Tiger fishing in the Northwestern US, sure would be great to catch them locally in AB. Anyone have any Govt. insight as to the future of the program they started 2 years ago ? They were to complete a survey in spring 2017 as to impact & sustainability. Not enough variety of trouts in AB compared to other Provinces & many states. Splake would be nice too. 2 cents in Feb.... Open water .. Come on !
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 PM

Default Tiger trout

Apparently 3 lakes have been stocked: Black nugget near Tofield and 2 lakes north of Edmonton - they aren't secret.
Had great luck with Tiger Trout in the Flippr Lakes in Manitoba last spring. They hit hard and fight great.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Yup - Tigers are lots of fun. They have been here since last year.

Aggressive, scrappy and very willing to come out and play.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:26 AM

I don't think there will be much of a program since officially there is no limit on tiger trout. They were fished hard despite the signs asking for catch and release only. The lady I talked to doing the study at one of the lakes said the data they had collected most likely would be no good because the fish would be all but gone at the rate people were taking them from the ponds. She even told me someone had taken 28 tiger trout that day.

I would like to see more species added to Alberta but we need much better management first.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-14-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I don't think there will be much of a program since officially there is no limit on tiger trout. They were fished hard despite the signs asking for catch and release only. The lady I talked to doing the study at one of the lakes said the data they had collected most likely would be no good because the fish would be all but gone at the rate people were taking them from the ponds. She even told me someone had taken 28 tiger trout that day.

I would like to see more species added to Alberta but we need much better management first.
That is incredibly sad. Maybe it should be kept a secret.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:

I will say it. Most likely xxxxxxx, well you know who.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM

what is the bigest tiger trout anyone seen or caught in Alberta. Were they growing nicely or is there none left to tell.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
what is the bigest tiger trout anyone seen or caught in Alberta. Were they growing nicely or is there none left to tell.
The growth rate is pretty good from what I've been told. They are an aggressive species and pack the weight on well, sadly enough when I talked with the owner of the campground at Black Nugget and he said he has seen the population of the Tigers there decimated by over fishing. He did say however that he was surprised by how big they got in such a short time frame.
There are some left in there but not many. Its a shame so many take advantage of something that could be a great thing in the future.
After hearing that we never even dropped a line in the water.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Idaman and Newfies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Most likely ??? What??? Your likely thinking from the Far East... BUT I'd say I saw more NEWFIES decimate the population more than anyone else. from the damage I saw one boat there ever day when I camped there take a large bag home each and every time I saw them. All told over the summer I'd say a little over 10 times that I saw them.
NOT all us NEWFIE'S are in the same boat Idaman. You forget we are Canadian too? I C&R in this province, and I have never caught a Tiger trout, not that I wouldn't want to, just haven't tried. If and only if i decide to try for a TT it will go back from where it came.

As well as all Albertans here are not the same. I use to fished a lake every weekend close to Edm, most times no one else there. I caught keeper Pike every time, noticed some I was being caught over and over by scars and markings. Being the Nice guy I am I mentioned to 2 guys loading up their boat. I catch and release a few at bay across beaver hut great fun on the weekends. Long story short next day you could walk across that bay with all the boats, with the two guys in the center of them all. It isnt a big lake... Following weekend guess what no pike... I havent seen a Pike come out since.

P.S. I've met many C&R Albertans and know alot of Newfies. As for the xxxxx's well looks like Kim hit a nerve. hahaha

A PROUD NEWFOUNDLANDER
Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 AM

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:
• Trout – 5 in total

I realize tiger trout isn't on the list but its still a trout.....
Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

I have C&R ed Tigers in 2 of the 3 lakes stocked, the biggest being 16". Also met a youg lady tearfully watching "her babies" being harvested 15-30 per angler @ Black Nugget. She was involved since inception, with the Tiger program, & stated without classification nothing could be done. My question is with the Govt. stocking over 2,000,000 trout in 2016, almost all Bows, some effort in Brooks, Cutties, & Browns, 0 -Golden, 0 - Lakers, was the Tiger experiment a 1 shot (2157 stocked again in 2016) or a new on going endeavour? What does it take? An NDP clerk to sign off a classification memo to put them into the general or limited trout possession limits?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny2 View Post
My question is with the Govt. stocking over 2,000,000 trout in 2016, almost all Bows, some effort in Brooks, Cutties, & Browns, 0 -Golden, 0 - Lakers, was the Tiger experiment a 1 shot (2157 stocked again in 2016) or a new on going endeavour? What does it take? An NDP clerk to sign off a classification memo to put them into the general or limited trout possession limits?
It takes pressure (from folks like us) and money. The stocking program in Alberta could be much better given the number of anglers in the province. But it's about allocation of revenue. Often it isn't seen as a priority to invest in a more comprehensive stocking program. We could stock walleye, pike, perch, lakers, all the trout you could shake a stick at, but we don't. It isn't because there aren't enough anglers or the demand isn't there, that's for damn sure.

If you look at Saskatchewan, they stocked nearly 12 million fish in 166 lakes during 2015 including Tigers, Bows, Brookies, Walleye, Pike and Lakers. We stocked just under 2.2 million in 2016, all trout (mostly bows), in 230 bodies of water.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:01 PM

Sure be nice to have a trophy tiger trout lake put a size limit of 18 inches or so I bet they are a pretty fish once they gets bigger.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM

Johnny2- Have you heard of Piprell Lake, northeast of P.A. SK. Apparently they have huge Tigers (SK record) as well as 4 other trout species- all in that same lake.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Deep, Yes- if I had the luxury of a 9 hr drive from Edm. to try my luck with Tigers, Splake etc. Lots of good potential lakes in the 2 hr range, Rocky Mtn House,Edson, Whitecourt, for me, so a variety would be great. Bows, Bows & Bows, odd Brookie. See many lake in the US , Sask, Man , with multiple strains, like Piperal you mentioned. How much fun to guess what has taken a snip at your lure, Cuttie Bow Tiger, Brook.. Ah Fantasy Island..
Old 02-15-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I fished Black Nugget for Tigers - there was no sign. If you're saying there is a sign there now, then perhaps they should have put it up prior to stocking the fish.

None-the-less - there is no limits on them, so pretty hard to enforce something that isn't a law/rule.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I fished Black Nugget for Tigers - there was no sign. If you're saying there is a sign there now, then perhaps they should have put it up prior to stocking the fish.

None-the-less - there is no limits on them, so pretty hard to enforce something that isn't a law/rule.

Cheers
It was last winter when I was there. There were little fold out signs made of plywood at the entrances. We even had a visit from the volunteer explaining the program and requested that we check in with her when we left to report our catches. She took measurements, weights and even removed the stomachs from the fish we caught for analyst. I will admit I kept one tiger trout simply because it did not survive. Even in the cold water I found it tasted very muddy and not worth keeping at all.

I would suspect the program has been reduced to weekends or even abandoned at this point. Perhaps they can retry the program after putting an enforceable catch limit on them.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-15-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
It was last winter when I was there. There were little fold out signs made of plywood at the entrances. We even had a visit from the volunteer explaining the program and requested that we check in with her when we left to report our catches. She took measurements, weights and even removed the stomachs from the fish we caught for analyst. I will admit I kept one tiger trout simply because it did not survive. Even in the cold water I found it tasted very muddy and not worth keeping at all.

I would suspect the program has been reduced to weekends or even abandoned at this point. Perhaps they can retry the program after putting an enforceable catch limit on them.
Interesting, there was nothing there when a buddy and I went. We don't keep fish, so no biggie. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I have C&R ed Tigers in 2 of the 3 lakes stocked, the biggest being 16". Also met a youg lady tearfully watching "her babies" being harvested 15-30 per angler @ Black Nugget. She was involved since inception, with the Tiger program, & stated without classification nothing could be done. My question is with the Govt. stocking over 2,000,000 trout in 2016, almost all Bows, some effort in Brooks, Cutties, & Browns, 0 -Golden, 0 - Lakers, was the Tiger experiment a 1 shot (2157 stocked again in 2016) or a new on going endeavour? What does it take? An NDP clerk to sign off a classification memo to put them into the general or limited trout possession limits?
Ask a biologist. The list of game fish in Alberta is in federal regulation and it actually takes the Federal government to do the amendment. The request has been made. DFO marches to its own drum beat.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Tigers...

If protected like other provinces prior to stocking......
The pic is the results anglers can enjoy catching a grown up Tiger....
Of course it takes a bit of planning......... And sportsman co-operation.
sst
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9190069[1].jpg (83.0 KB, 238 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Wind Drift..Thanks, I assume other Prov's had to jump thru the same hoops, when introducing new strains. AB did it backwards, should of had their ducks in a row first.

Singleshotom.. Wow Beeeautiful trout. It'd be nice if that pic came from Carson, Dolberg, Muir etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Wind Drift..Thanks, I assume other Prov's had to jump thru the same hoops, when introducing new strains. AB did it backwards, should of had their ducks in a row first
I understand the choice was between sacrificing the fish in the hatchery and stocking them out despite the inability to apply a regulation. I think the better decision was made.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I understand the choice was between sacrificing the fish in the hatchery and stocking them out despite the inability to apply a regulation. I think the better decision was made.
Agree

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Hmmm, was thinking of checking out Black Nugget this weekend, should I even bother?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Got to protect them

[
If you ever want to see a tiger like that in Alberta the stocking must've done in a lake similar to Beaver Lake. Total catch and release, no bait allowed and no ice fishing. Tiger trout are not groceries. It's a rare privilege to be able to play one on the line and get a quick photo before sliding them gently back into the water.

That's my picture from Manitoba.

QUOTE=singleshotom;3473237]If protected like other provinces prior to stocking......
The pic is the results anglers can enjoy catching a grown up Tiger....
Of course it takes a bit of planning......... And sportsman co-operation.
sst[/QUOTE]
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Someone needs to get that young lady the report a poacher number.

For reference.

1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS. Mobility network
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-26-2017, 05:49 PM

tiger trout are pretty much much more aggressive brook trout use a slender spoon or minnow on a size 6 hook