Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Re-Inventing the Bowhunter Shoots…

I didn’t use the term 3D in the Bowhunter Shoot title because IMHO that has went into a whole different direction, In fact now in Canada the word “Bowhunter” or “hunter” has been totaly eliminated from all 3D classes…

First off… With all due respect to all the organizations and clubs that do such an outstanding job with present 3D shoots…your hard work and knowledge is appreciated and nothing here reflects any animosity towards you or your clubs.

3D shoots were established by bowhunters for bowhunters, they were exciting, fun, and the best practice for bowhunting with fellow bowhunters….with bowhunter tackle bow…the same bow you used for bowhunting.

There was only one class or one class with a couple of different shooting stations for youth or traditional for example…now there is more classes at 3D shoots than at a technical collage…none of which recognizes bowhunters as such.

I am not the only one that see’s where this is going, many well-known Bowhunters in Alberta are also communicating their concerns, and would like to see major bowhunting associations, clubs, etc bring back the strictly bowhunter 3D class shoots.

A bowhunter 3D class shoot would be just that, no need to buy and set a second bow worth thousands $.. as you would use the bow you use for bowhunting…and it would be regulated with/to bowhunter tackle.

No bow weight restrictions other than a legal hunting bow weight [exception for youth], no stabilizers longer than 12”, No magnified sight optics [other than verifiers or clarifiers on string if used for hunting], and arrows have to be standard hunting arrows that will accept small game and hunting broadheads.

One class for all whether you’re shooting with sights or not, fingers or release, male/female etc…true hunter tackle from or in hunting situations such as stands, blinds, uphill, downhill etc…as it once was before the 3D circuit was fomatted by target shooters.

Scoring would/could be standard with a few exceptions…most would be in the bowhunter max range of 40yds…with maybe one or two 60+ yards…scores could be Plus 1 point for hits as in a standard target, OR MINUS points on wounding shots…and/or receive 1 PT if you choose NOT to shoot as you feel its beyond your effective range.

Wearing Camouflage pants or shirts are even banned at some/all of the major 3D shoots, at the bowhunter class it would almost be mandatory…lol

If we bowhunters got together as a collective group, we could make these shoots as exciting as actual hunting, several of us will work hard to try bring this to a reality, however we would like input from all the actual bowhunters out there.

The rules and restrictions etc above are all just some of the ideas put out by several of us and not written in stone as yet a proposal or guidline, as we want all you bowhunters input also, we would like to see, with YOUR help pass this thru to where it matters and make it a reality.

We as bowhunters also have to stick together, Join a bowhunter club, organization or association in Alberta and let your word be heard…one such bowhunter organization is Alberta Bowhunters Association
http://www.bowhunters.ca/Home_Page.html

ABA has been here since bowhunting in Alberta was a reality, they have fought for our rights and have implemented much of what we are so fortunate to enjoy as bowhunters in Alberta.

Bowhunter class has been in such eliminated and classified as a “Blood Sport” , although blood is a factor with any hunting, it is a part of nature also, we are not trying to glorify a “blood sport”, but simply maintain a part of our bowhunting heritage and tradition.

We would like your input, it is appreciated…

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Apologise for the long read..but bowhunting has been a long road!!!

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM

That sounds like good fun and simulates real hunting situations. keep it down to earth for the regular guys !
Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 AM

It's a great idea and one of the main reasons I started "3d". Last year I shot in the "Hunter" class and would have this year, but I do have a competitive side and moving into MBR/FPC was a change I made this year.

Would be great to have more shoots designed for the "Hunter" in us, I hope the non vocal majority of hunters embraces the idea and participates no matter what the reasoning, the first reason should be fun.

LC
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwildlife View Post
That sounds like good fun and simulates real hunting situations. keep it down to earth for the regular guys !
yup a bowhunter can enter with his entry level $500.00 bowhunting set up instead of a 1200.00 target bow...shoot at his best..but not worry over their shooting ability...learn along the way but most off gain knowlege, experiance, practice, and overall have a blast in a true bowhunting scenio!

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It's a great idea and one of the main reasons I started "3d". Last year I shot in the "Hunter" class and would have this year, but I do have a competitive side and moving into MBR/FPC was a change I made this year.

Would be great to have more shoots designed for the "Hunter" in us, I hope the non vocal majority of hunters embraces the idea and participates no matter what the reasoning, the first reason should be fun.

LC

Well said Lefty...the objective is not to take a single thing away from any of the present 3D shoots...or shooters....rather simply add a new shoot to the circut..a true Bowhunter class!!

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 PM

I agree with what your saying Neil!
There are a few "hunter" fun shoots but I would like to see more!!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM

I agree with you about most points and the ones that I differ from you on are minimal. One consideration would be to have those longer shots past 45 yards but, if possible have them marked for distance. As for maximum distance I practice to 100 yards but only at known distances.
I would also have to be able to have my boys(under 10) at the shoot with me and involved, so for me and them not too much standing around time if possible😊
Old 03-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Did they not just drop that because there wasn't enough participation? I am not really sure of the reason they discontinued it. I competed (and won the Alberta provincials) in hunter class last year, and it was a class that was available at every major shoot I attended.

For what it's worth, anyone is more than welcome to come out to any event with whatever equipment they have and shoot the courses. Hell, you don't even have to submit a score if you don't want to and if you don want to shoot a target you don't have to do that either. Point is, I'm pretty sure that if you actually wanted to come out and have a good time and kill some foam no one is going to ridicule you or persecute you, that's not what everyone's about at these things. As far as "simulating hunting conditions" goes, it's about as real as it can get when you are standing at a stake with 2 or 3 other people shooting at a foam target that won't hear you, see you or smell you. It is good practice for range estimation and will give you a true measure of your effective distance though.

Jmo.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM

LOL also well said...out of curiousity what bow-arrows used...

You may have won the last sanctioned "Hunter" class hunt

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM

I like the idea of a Bowhunter Class and would support the same.

I am curious from anyone in the know what the reason was for the change and where the pressure if any came from. I know its probably a loaded question full of politics but probably one that needs to be talked about.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
LOL also well said...out of curiousity what bow-arrows used...

You may have won the last sanctioned "Hunter" class hunt

Neil
I used a 2011 bowtech invasion/hoggit 5 pin sight and gold top 75/95 arrows. One of my hunting bows, of course!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I used a 2011 bowtech invasion/hoggit 5 pin sight and gold top 75/95 arrows. One of my hunting bows, of course!
See now thats true "Hunter" class...
Old 03-12-2015, 02:25 PM

I like the idea Neil and if available is the class I would shoot in.
I shoot a APA M7 with a 6" stab, ugly cookie ( actually it looks sweet in green!), Spot Hog sight and Gold tip hunting arrows. I am not interested in buying super light arrow, or fat arrows or a 2 foot stab just to shoot 3d. I realize I can just show up to a shoot and use my current set up but the idea of shooting in a class with a few other regular joes really appeals.

That said I have not attended an actual shoot. But plan to this season and make up my own mind if a hunters class is as good as it sounds or not

Good luck Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM

I like it, a lot. I quit going to tournaments about 12 years ago because of all the red tape and politics that went along with it. This class and that class bla bla bla. I think this is a great idea and support it fully. It may rekindle my passion for a little friendly competition, emphasis on friendly. I miss the interaction with other bow hunters who just want to shoot with what they have.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Keep in mind....hunter class as it stands still exists, but it is not a "championship" class it is a "developmental" class.

That said more shoots equals more fun!

People need to just participate, no matter what "class" they shoot. If this gets more people into it....I am all for it, Jimbows (Edmonton) still has a few indoor "fun only" shoots at 10am on Sunday's. For those who want to try 3d in a pressure free setting.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-12-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM

Who they calling "developmental"??? lol

Neil
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Who they calling "developmental"??? lol

Neil
Exactly!

LC
Old 03-12-2015, 04:41 PM

Who cares what the class names are. You can still go to any shoot and shoot for fun. If you are not worried about being competitive then why worry about what class you have to shoot in. Go, shoot what you brought and have fun. You don't have to turn your scorecards in or even have to keep score if you don't like to. I have never seen anybody, at any shoot, big or small, put anyone else down for what they are shooting. Shoot in a group with your buddies and have all the fun you want. Lots of people want to get more competitive so shoot the fancy rigs but you don't have to feel intimidated by that. I have shot 3D with my open equipment to try and be competitive ( Notice I said try ). I have also taken my hunting bow and recently long bow to shoots to just have fun, the more the merrier at any shoot, no need to have bow hunters go off on their own. Personally I have went through all stages at 3D's. As a beginner into archery I shot a strict hunting bow with fingers. My wife got a bow to come along and enjoy and I couldn't have her beating me with a release so switched over to using a release. I still shot a pure hunting bow. I then slowly began to want to get more competitive and ended up shooting a full open rig with scope long stabilizer and v-bars. I have not had the time to shoot as much the last few years and have again went back to shooting my hunting bow more and even the longbow. Never have I felt like I was out of place at a 3D shoot and have even shot my longbow in a group with guys in open class, still had lots of fun.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 PM

^^^^^

Very well said, I have said it all along the "shoot" is what YOU make of it. Something for everyone. The archery community is very inclusive....one of the best if not the best to belong to.

LC
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 PM

I was on my local club executive for a couple of years, but the "target" talk took its toll on me and I respectfully declined to go further. Part of the reason I joined the club (and eventually the executive) was the bowhunting aspect that I desired.

When I discovered that the "general" atmosphere was more geared towards the seemingly increasing target side of archery, I chose to attend 3D shoots and do my own hunting practice. I looked for (and most times found) people of similar interests in attending the 3D shoot and together as a group had a blast. Forget the official stake. Forget the official score card. Let's play "pick a spot" where everyone took turns choosing where the entire group would shoot the target from (keeping in mind safety for all).

Those were some of my very favorite shoots and I'll let you know now that I can say with some certainty that I have the knowledge not to shoot through a 4" hole in bush, either live target or foam...

I haven't attended a 3D shoot for a year or two, just because of life in general.... But if there was a shoot geared towards this type of thinking, I would go out of my way to attend. Even while I think about it now, I still can't force myself to pick up a score card.

My scoring system is..... End the day off with the same amount of arrows that you started with - it's been a good day... Especially if your group is playing "pick a spot"

J.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM

If one of you guys organized an even like this around Calgary I would sign up in a heart beat.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
If one of you guys organized an even like this around Calgary I would sign up in a heart beat.
+1 Im moving to sundre so i will be a little closer. Sign me up!
Old 03-13-2015, 04:42 AM

I am totally in for this type of shoot. This is more of what I had originally thought a 3D shoot should be like, but I seen that it has progressed way beyond that.

I've seen the 30" stabs, v-bars, back bars, scopes you name it. Quite frankly, I was intimidated walking in with my camo Mathews Creed hunting bow, my Black Eagle Carnivore arrows and my cheap Bushnell binos. What was even worse is that my son felt even more out of his league shooting his older Diamond Razor Edge setup much the same way.

But, that being said we had fun in our own right. We shot together, just me and him and it was more of a friendly competition between him and myself and a way for us to bond doing something we both enjoy. That made it more enjoyable than the score we shot reflected.

All this aside, I think that this is going to be a hard thing to pull off as a stand alone circuit. I think for it to be successful, they will have to be piggy backed on to already existing shoots. It takes a lot of volunteer hours to pull a 3D shoot off and potentially dividing the limited numbers of people out there willing to help, will cause stress on both clubs. Plus add in the cost of quality targets, the venue, prizes....
Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 AM

Neil,

I just purchased a 1 year membership with the ABA. Maybe an ABA sponsored shoot like you described, could boost membership and give us bowhunters a larger voice at the negoiation table.

I would come out for a day to help with course prep and bulding stands/platforms if it becomes a reality. Good Luck
Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Neil,

I just purchased a 1 year membership with the ABA. Maybe an ABA sponsored shoot like you described, could boost membership and give us bowhunters a larger voice at the negoiation table.

I would come out for a day to help with course prep and bulding stands/platforms if it becomes a reality. Good Luck
Good Job...Working on exactaly that!!!

Neil
Old 03-13-2015, 08:04 AM

This was just announced for outdoor Nationals in Manitoba this year,

"Get the word out we are going to have a Hunter Category as part of the non-sanctioned category for men and women at the event. We have some great sponsors like JoBrook Outdoors that is going to sponsor the class with lots of great prizes up for grabs to the top competitors."

I think this is great, but ultimately the people who are campaigning for a Hunter class, NEED TO PARTICIPATE. If the numbers don't show then the class won't go! There was a rangefinder class created a couple years ago and a few of the top archers tried to give it life.....well there was usually less than 5 guys registered in the class at any of the shoots it was offered.

People need to show support not only vocally and in writing but by showing up, being there to shoot is the most important part of the equation.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-13-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 AM

There might be a little/some misconception of what I wrote...
These shoots will still have the best prizes, awards etc that can be gathered up, a lot of business would/will donate towards this kind of shoot also...making sure each youth receive an honorary prize for a job well done regardless of their abilities...they were there and shooting ...they are our future!..that is worth an award itself.

Some bowhunters work extremely hard to become great shooters and bowhunters and they deserve their rewards and recognition...a championship "buckle" and Shooters vest/jacket has some prestige to it!

Competition is still good, it encourages shooters to be their best...while still enjoying their selves and improving themselves in a bowhunting scenio...

However the shoot can be a no pressure.... enjoyable and perhaps learning experiance for many- type day...like shooting with the gang in the backyard ...

Neil
Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Keep in mind....hunter class as it stands still exists, but it is not a "championship" class it is a "developmental" class.That said more shoots equals more fun!

People need to just participate, no matter what "class" they shoot. If this gets more people into it....I am all for it, Jimbows (Edmonton) still has a few indoor "fun only" shoots at 10am on Sunday's. For those who want to try 3d in a pressure free setting.

LC

That kinna makes the point....taking 3D shoots...originated by bowhunters.... put them now in a class..one we now cant call "hunter"...where you cant wear camo...Oh and now you are not a championship class... AND to add insult we will call you "developmental" ...

Thats like having a Bowhunter shoot and anyone with a target bow...and since you cant run thru the bush with those long fancy stabilizers or screw in a broadhead in those glued in target tip arrows lets call you "handicapped" and you cant compete for championship...

Just having fun with this while making a point and not slamming target shooters...lol

Once again not trying to change anything in present 3D circuits...just think we should bring back what we started on our own!!!

Neil
Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM

To be Devils advocate if competition is not part of the picture...then like was mentioned, who cares about the class? The bow will meet the requirements of either unlimited or fixed pins....just come and shoot

BUT if bringing back a hunter class increases the number of shoots or shooters I am all for it!

LC