Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
A fine cartridge not mentioned, but worth a look is the .338 Federal. I have been skating around getting one for a while now, and doing some reading on it again this morning (prompted by this thread), I'm skating closer to the edge on it. Lots of positives to it, without the recoil and extra weight of packing your typical .338 WM. Just a thought. TC

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/...on_338_101207/

If you look at the ballistic chart on the end of the article, with a 180 gr Nosler Accubond you have muzzle velocity of 2830, drop is 8.2" at 300 (with a 200 yard zero) and energy is still a hefty 1820 foot lbs. Energy at muzzle is 3100+, so you won't be lacking. I like those numbers. Especially considering the mild recoil relative to the Magnums.

*Edit* Curious is anyone has one and can give real world impression on it?
I had one and loved it for all the reasons you are looking at one. I had a pile of Sierra 215 grain bullets and they hit deer like a freight train. I loaded up some 160 grain ttsx and had them at 3000 fps . Never did get to test them on an animal though. Sadly I sent it down the road to fund another boom stick. I think they are the perfect chambering for most any animal with 300 yards or so. It does drop pretty fast after that.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Don't get to caught up on cartridge especially some of the impractical suggestions given here. Get a 30-06 300win mag 338 what ever it doesn't matter much. I'd pay more attention to correct bullet choice. Uses heavy for caliber bullet meant for deep penetration and bone breaking such as Nosler partitions or Barns tsx. Deep penetration is what you are after here. The other considerations are secondary.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Was looking at a used Parker Hale or Mauser. Are these alright guns? I know the Mauser actions with the claw feed are supposed to be pretty good.

Love my Mauser 98. I occasionally catch myself looking at more 98s.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM

A 9.3 x 62 with a 286 gr partition has light recoil and plenty of punch.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Raab ... Save your $$$. I will gladly lend you a rifle in either .35 Whelen Ai , .338-06 or 9.3x62 for your Buff hunt.
If interested PM me and we can discuss.
All 3 of those sound like rifles I'd want to borrow for the rest of my life haha.
Dang I think I've seen you talk about several different guns on here before and every time think we'd have similar preferences on rifles.

Awesome offer to someone on the forum. That 9.3 would make for a really cool buffalo hunt thread on here:
Big northern beast. Guy gets it done with a legendary rifle borrowed from another member. Everyone wins.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Haha, rifle nuts are the worst people to ask for advice!

The Vanguard mentioned earlier on special in .338 would be perfect. Zastava or used Mauser 9.3 from Tradeex.

As a handloader you can do a lot with either of those cartridges, or easily sell it when done.