Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Default are coyotes traveling most in dark?

Are the coyotes mostly nocturnal in their travel and I will likely catch them in my snares in the dark?
Old 01-17-2015, 01:17 AM

Yep. Twilight or dark. Best time is now no moon. Running trails semi blind.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:23 AM

They're rejecting my snares it appears. They're coming in and turning around them. I didn't think that I have to put more work into hiding them. Maybe they smell me? I've got them boiled in baking soda so there's little shine but I'm still missing. I figured in the dark, how would they see them? Maybe these coyotes wear night vision goggles...
Old 01-17-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
They're rejecting my snares it appears. They're coming in and turning around them. I didn't think that I have to put more work into hiding them. Maybe they smell me? I've got them boiled in baking soda so there's little shine but I'm still missing. I figured in the dark, how would they see them? Maybe these coyotes wear night vision goggles...
Maybe you are trying to block down their trail too much? I get refusals if I do too much blocking.

I don't think you will ever get your refusals down to zero. They might duck one and get caught in the next.

Some good advice I got was to make the loop fit the trail. If it's open use a bigger loop which puts the top of the loop and lock more out of direct line of sight. Small loops work well for me in thick brush.

They can still see in the dark better than you can I think.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Alder I find as the season goes longer it it tougher to catch them. That is part of the reason that I say start catching them when you can earlier in the year. I get most of mine before mid Dec I find. It is either I have caught so many at my baits that there is a pile of scent , or I have caught most of them in the area , or not enough bait or they are educated and it is going to be tough. Next year I am going to be doing snares and legholds at my baits. I will run snares but also do some sets off to the side with legholds. I also find that the catch circles will also get a lot of attention right after a catch and a leghold would work there if the area is too beat up for another snare. I also think that with the snow it is easier to see the snares.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM

My catches have been going up every week...didn't start until Dec 5 and only setting on trails with no bait...caught 37 so far and with the way they are moving now should have no trouble hitting 50 by months end. have over 100 snares on approx 2 sections of land...seems like you get refusals for a while but as time goes on your scent dissipates and they walk right into them
Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE]

Some good advice I got was to make the loop fit the trail. If it's open use a bigger loop which puts the top of the loop and lock more out of direct line of sight. Small loops work well for me in thick brush.

I like this idea. I have some pretty tight trails. I'll try this. Many thanks Gents.