Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Plea for some help

Feeling sick inside. Home from what was an otherwise wonderful weekend out at Burnt Timber but with an awful discovery. A wonderful friend of ours and Scout leader who spent tons of time in the area passed away suddenly two years ago and we placed a bench in his memory right beside Burnt Timber Creek last summer. Nothing big or flashy. No crosses or flowers or other stuff--just a simple bench made from two heavy spruce planks that we cut from dead trees nearby. Something for everybody who uses the area to swim, fish, or just enjoy nature to sit on and enjoy the place.
His wife and kids go out there, as do some of his other family and friends just to remember. Some of his ashes were left there.
Sometime between April 25 and May long weekend, somebody went to a lot of work to undo the nuts and haul away a 250 lb bench that was meant for all to enjoy. We kind of expected somebody would shoot holes in it or carve their names--not that it would be okay, but hey that is life and Steve would understand. Figured we would have to replace the wood sometime, but nothing like this.
We will call ESRD to see if they pulled it (despite leaving other similar things all over the country while people like us haul tons of garbage out every weekend).
PLEASE keep an eye out for this! We just want it back. Maybe an honest lapse in judgement or one of your neighbours thought their backyard needed a seat. We don't care and certainly won't press charges if it is brought forward. It would restore some of our faith in humanity and pay respect to a friend who gave so much to the community.
Thank you.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 PM

I wish I could help out. That just makes me sad that a person, or persons, would stoop to that level. I'd throw in $100 for a reward to get it back.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-31-2020, 07:29 PM

Beautiful looking bench and I sure hope you get a lead on finding it. Try FB. My wife says it’s great for getting the word out. I don’t want Facebook myself. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM

I'm not judging, this is from Facebook.

They don’t know it was stolen and they also didn’t have a permit to put it there it was likely removed by the fish and wildlife or the county, your not just allowed to set up a bench in crown land without permission

Grizz
Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

They don’t know it was stolen and they also didn’t have a permit to put it there it was likely removed by the fish and wildlife or the county, your not just allowed to set up a bench in crown land without permission

Grizz
There are monuments all over this province on crown land. Anyone who tampers with one Karma will get em. The county or F&W are not excluded! What if I make a bench around my camp fire? Do I need a permit? Silliyness
Old 05-31-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Really, fish cops or County would do that?

Wow.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-31-2020, 09:13 PM

You're not even permitted to spread cremation ashes in the national parks.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Grizz
This is correct and the fact the bench was removed instead of being destroyed it is very possible it was fish and wildlife. It’s not that I agree with it but like stated you need a permit.

It is very common for my family to have their ashes spread at a hunting or fishing spot with a small marker. But we have always chosen low traffic out of the way locations where they are not likely to be seen by many people. We have had no issues and have even had loggers work around a few markers

To the OP I understand you were doing something nice and I bet most would have enjoyed the bench unfortunately there is laws
Old 06-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Update

An update and heartfelt thanks!!
We have located the missing bench.
Apparently a well meaning person from the environmental branch was out that way the week before May Long and saw the bench. The person was concerned that it was too close to the edge (as at least one poster in the FB Crown Land Camping Group mentioned--but we did have reasons for where we put it) and was worried that some person might fall off and hit their head on the bottom of the river (not knowing that it is about 10' of water and that this is where people purposely jump in). Knowing that many a tipsy person might pass that way the following weekend, the person removed the bench for the public good.
The very kind person in the office in Sundre that a member of our group talked to said that they normally make every effort to contact family/friends etc. if they find a memorial that is a problem, and do it well before any removal, but in this case the perceived safety issue overrode that. And then the long weekend, COVID, etc and they never did follow up. We will recover the bench and meet with them later this week about the placement, but it looks like we will be allowed to place it back at the site--but maybe in a slightly different spot if there is a safety issue.
Steve's family and friends are all very moved by the outpouring of support and the many dozens of shares that have come from all over. We can't thank you all enough. It restores one's faith in people! We got home and just had to do something to try to find it, rather than sitting back and waiting until we may or may not have found out if the forestry people were involved (if we could even reach them!)
Hopefully we will have it back (with formal permission) in the near future and many of you will get a chance to enjoy the spot sometime when you are in the area. Sit and enjoy the creek, hang your towel on it, or chat with a friend. That is what Steve would have loved to see.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:09 PM

Good to hear it was found
Old 06-01-2020, 05:20 PM

Good news, glad that it hasn't been stolen or destroyed. Thanks for update.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:25 PM

Great that it was found, look forward to the new placement.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Moose View Post
An update and heartfelt thanks!!
We have located the missing bench.
Apparently a well meaning person from the environmental branch was out that way the week before May Long and saw the bench. The person was concerned that it was too close to the edge (as at least one poster in the FB Crown Land Camping Group mentioned--but we did have reasons for where we put it) and was worried that some person might fall off and hit their head on the bottom of the river (not knowing that it is about 10' of water and that this is where people purposely jump in). Knowing that many a tipsy person might pass that way the following weekend, the person removed the bench for the public good.
The very kind person in the office in Sundre that a member of our group talked to said that they normally make every effort to contact family/friends etc. if they find a memorial that is a problem, and do it well before any removal, but in this case the perceived safety issue overrode that. And then the long weekend, COVID, etc and they never did follow up. We will recover the bench and meet with them later this week about the placement, but it looks like we will be allowed to place it back at the site--but maybe in a slightly different spot if there is a safety issue.
Steve's family and friends are all very moved by the outpouring of support and the many dozens of shares that have come from all over. We can't thank you all enough. It restores one's faith in people! We got home and just had to do something to try to find it, rather than sitting back and waiting until we may or may not have found out if the forestry people were involved (if we could even reach them!)
Hopefully we will have it back (with formal permission) in the near future and many of you will get a chance to enjoy the spot sometime when you are in the area. Sit and enjoy the creek, hang your towel on it, or chat with a friend. That is what Steve would have loved to see.
Good to hear you have it back. 👍
Old 06-01-2020, 05:55 PM

Great news glad u are gonna be able to keep it in the same area just a little different placement.