Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Are Calgary Costco's allowing more people in the store post-May 25?

I went to the Beacon Hill Costco once in April, once in early May and again on May 26. If you could live with the long lines outside, prior to May 26 the store was very pleasant to be in given the limited shoppers permitted.

On May 26 is was much busier. No line outside and letting people walk right in. I thought I must have timed my visit right, but quickly realized how crowded it was inside and impossible to maintain social distancing. The lineups at the checkout were 4 to 6 deep, where my 3 previous visits only averaged 1-3 people lined up per checkout.

Does anyone know if Costco changed their practices for numbers permitted in the store since Calgary started its economic easing?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM

My most recent trip to the Heritage location seemed to be way more than 50 shoppers, I’d peg it at triple that easily. I have no idea what their # target is, but there was not a line when I went (which may have been a slow time of day thing as it was still barricaded to form a line up)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Maybe ask what the official store policy is. I quieried RONA on thier associates wearing masks, and they said they leave it up to the individual.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Maybe ask what the official store policy is. I quieried RONA on thier associates wearing masks, and they said they leave it up to the individual.
Good suggestion. I just called and asked if they have increased the maximum number of people they are allowing in store, and got a somewhat evasive answer: "We are still monitoring the number of people we allow in store", but couldn't get her to give me anything more concrete than that.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Default stopped going to costco

saving a lot of money on not buying large quantities of products in order to save money. Just got tired of the lines around to the back of the building. Had to pick up a prescription (no line up required) so we decided to go during senior hours at 8 Am and combine shopping all in one trip and we were still lined up all around the building at 7;45. I will still pick up prescriptions there but for the few groceries the two of us need I can be in and out of no frills faster than I can get in the store at costco waiting in line.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Post My observation

I was in the Heritage Drive Costco on May 29. While there was a short wait (7 minutes) in the line outside, there were definitely more customers in the store than in previous weeks. Not crowded, but busier.
As for waiting in a lineup to get inside the store? I think this temporary exercise in social distancing should become permanent. The longest I stood in a line at Costco was 34 minutes; started the maze 3 switchbacks out. But the total time to shop was much less than normal due to fewer people to get in the way, almost no shopping cart traffic jams, and shorter checkout lines.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM

Default June 4

They are definitely letting more people in the store. Although there was a short lineup outside, inside was almost a return to pre-covid congestion.
They did have some large nitrile gloves in stock, so that was nice.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell