Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 11:25 AM

Default Got my pistol bit figured out! Hole punching test!!

http://How Many Holes Will The 8" Pi...be/osWrcB640V4

I’m so happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-17-2022, 11:38 AM

Check your link Huy, it is not working for me.

Looking forward to seeing this review as I have lots of high power cordless drill and batteries. Looking for an ice auger to slowly get into ice fishing.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWrcB640V4
Old 01-17-2022, 11:55 AM

Huy, you are a credit to this forum. Thank you for all the great video content. You sure ain't no poser.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:20 PM

If it ain't red, it stays in the shed.

Good info, confirming my earlier suspicions. Thanks Huy.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:20 PM

These drill bit augers really make me think about if it's even worth getting a conventional ice auger anymore - why spend $500-$900 if you can use your drill? These pistol bit type augers retail for around $300 I think.

Seems to be way lighter, cuts just as fast, most of us already have a good drill and it can be used for other things too, and you can always grab an extra battery .... seems to be a no brainer.

Ultimately I see no real big advantage to conventional battery, propane, or gas augers anymore ..... am I the only one thinking this now?
Old 01-17-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ultimately I see no real big advantage to conventional battery, propane, or gas augers anymore ..... am I the only one thinking this now?
No you are not. I'm a small contractor who uses these tools everyday.
Cordless power tools and batteries are ever encroaching on and replacing plug in electric tools market. Over the past few years I've switched pretty much to all cordless now. Never thought I would do that. I still keep my corded tools around for the "just in case" but all they do is take up space and collect dust. My trusted old faithful corded tools have been through so much that I've grown sentimentally attached to them by now.

The key advancement is with Lithium batteries. Lithium batteries are everywhere: laptops, smartphones, power tools, electric cars, flashlights, etc.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:18 PM

Very nice review. I’ve often wondered how many holes they are good for.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So the battery, drill and attachment come to what price?
Just curious as for a person who may not need such a heavy duty drill would it be better to have a dedicated electric ice auger and a lighter duty drill for building a deck etc?

Either way good review Huy, seen a few out on the ice this season in fact a lot more peace and quit on the lakes!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2022, 02:18 PM

That's impressive Huy thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:02 PM

I absolutely think this this set up is worth it. I bought the drill in a combo so I got the flagship hammer drill with a 6ah battery, one high need dewalt impact driver with a 2ah battery and a charger onsale for 400 plus the pistol bit onsale for 200. Both regular price would have been 500+300+gst.

The drill and auger total is only about 8lbs and it drills just as well as a strikemaster or ion electric but it’s also less the half the weight as well. It’s Useable for early walk on the ice and hike in trips.

The drill is useable for tent pegs and it’s good for my household projects.

I’m super happy I sold my jiffy propane and upgraded to this.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-17-2022, 04:56 PM

Great video Huy. Thanks for doing the drill test and sharing.
Get's a guy to thinking he may just need another auger.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:13 PM

I know you had some issues prior, great to see you have it all sorted out!!

Looks like it works great!! Awesome video and review.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:03 PM

Makes me jealous of the Torch I bought lol
Old 01-17-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So the battery, drill and attachment come to what price?
Just curious as for a person who may not need such a heavy duty drill would it be better to have a dedicated electric ice auger and a lighter duty drill for building a deck etc?

Either way good review Huy, seen a few out on the ice this season in fact a lot more peace and quit on the lakes!

Milwaukee M18 Fuel with two 5 AH batteries and a pistol bit. $600. And I have as good a drill as you can get for 365 days year. Tell me again why I need an ice auger???

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 10:52 PM

If you know what you are looking for and are willing to be a bit patient, a proper drill can be had cheaper on Kijji or whatever used site you prefer. Spend the money on 2 5 amp hour batteries and you're good to go.

When buying new just wait for a sale on the kit and sell the impact driver if you don't need it. All the big tool manufacturers make cordless, brushless 1000+ in-lb hammer drills.

Besides being useful the rest of the time, if you ever need new batteries it is cheaper with more options available for a cordless drill.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Milwaukee M18 Fuel with two 5 AH batteries and a pistol bit. $600. And I have as good a drill as you can get for 365 days year. Tell me again why I need an ice auger???

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah I kinda see the benefits overall to have a multi tool that can be used all season long.

Too late now though as we bought the SM 40V three seasons ago and it cuts hundreds of holes every winter but if this ever goes south I could use a good quality cordless drill

Man just wonder what’s next...hand held laser ice cutter

Old 01-17-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Man just wonder what’s next...hand held laser ice cutter
A lightsaber would be awesome. Great for cutting fishing lines too. Not so sure about filleting fish with a lightsaber though.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:53 AM

Curious what a drill could get out of a 10" bit when the ice gets thick. I've been impressed by my DeWalt and old 8" Lazer flite but haven't sampled the bigger bit yet. I doubt it's time to get rid of the big powerhead though...
Old 01-18-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Curious what a drill could get out of a 10" bit when the ice gets thick. I've been impressed by my DeWalt and old 8" Lazer flite but haven't sampled the bigger bit yet. I doubt it's time to get rid of the big powerhead though...
Extremes might test it....I watch assorted meats and one episode he was standing beside his ice auger...over six feet of ice

The SM40V made it look effortlessly.....perhaps a dedicated auger comes in handy for heavy work but for 90 percent of users the drill might be the future. Like Huy mentioned lighter, easy to use,and of course versatile.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:29 AM

Definitely a nice setup and review although a red Milwaukee look a lot better than the yellow Dewalt on that Pistol Bit.

I be interested in a long term report on the life span of the drill, especially by someone who does a lot of running and gunning in thicker ice conditions.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:37 AM

These top of the line drills are pretty tough. I have a Makita dhp458 that I've used hard over the years and it is still going strong. Lots of drilling lag bolts, 6-8" coring, concrete drilling in addition to normal everyday usage. After 3 years of hard use I had to replace the worn brushes and decided to take it all apart, cleaned and re greased and lubed. The chuck was still working but beaten up so I replaced that too. $75 in and it is working like a new drill. It's still my old favourite everyday drill even though I have 2 other lighter duty drills in my toolbox. As backup for this heavy duty drill I got a Milwaukee 2804, DeWalt DCD985 and 999, and Makita dhp486. But those are hardly being used. I will probably put together a kit consisting of the DCD985 just for ice fishing.

From what I can observe ice auguring is not that hard on a drill compared to what I've seen and have done on a construction site. i.e. Try mixing concrete all day with a cordless drill. Wrong tool as Makita makes a dedicated electric plugin mixer. Which I did not bring with me and I wanted to kill my cordless drill so I can replace it but it wouldn't die even after melting the brush holders as I was pulling too much current. The cold will help with the drill electronics but is hard on the batteries. The higher end drills have metal gears and chucks which are very durable even after multiple drops from a 6' ladder onto concrete because I am old, clumsy and stupid. Of course dropping drill or battery into the lake is not a good idea. Lithium batteries of all sorts die with high heat so the cold will help. I'm willing to bet that the auger and blades will be worn out long before the drill.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:08 PM

What’s next?
12 gauge haha

Aaron Wiebe on uncut angling did that this winter. Pretty sure it was staged for views on his channel but nonetheless, he did it. “Forgot his auger” but had a shotgun with him???