Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-08-2021, 10:37 PM

Default Carbon riser Bows ..What gives ?

Fellow bowhunters,

for those that have made the switch to using a Carbon bow, could you share the main reasons for the switch and any benefits you found... better still pros and cons list perhaps.

I'm thinking about making a switch (currently using 65lb Mathews V3 30.5") and expect the carbon risers are lighter and perhaps less of a cold block of metal in late season hunting but what about stability and accuracy and vibration dampening ?

Lastly what are the top brands and models i should consider ?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 AM

Been so long....

Switched in 2010 to a Hoyt Carbon Element. Tough as nails period. YouTube: Hoyt Torture Testing I've fell on top of it jumping across a creek. Warmer than an aluminum for sure. Was initially sold on the lightness factor, but by the time you load it up with sight and rest (and quiver if you want) throw those numbers out the window. I've seen some aluminum bows in the last 10 years meet or exceed the lightness of my 2010 carbon bow.

As for stability / accuracy / vibration dampening? I'm assuming the accuracy would be determined by the shooters ability. The stability would be factored in by the cam design amongst other criteria for whatever brand you would choose. And the vibration dampening can be changed on any bow with accessories.

As for brands / models - try them all but choose the one that fits YOU. If the price fits and the draw cycle fits and the bow feels good at full draw with your eyes closed, then it's a contender.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Carbon bows

Sage advice thanks. Interesting about weight.
thanks
Old 12-09-2021, 10:49 AM

I had a 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element with the Fuel Cam and 1/2 (if I remember right). Was a jumpy cam with minimum valley....hated the bow....couldn't shoot it well under hunting conditions. Got rid of it after it did backup bow duty for a a few years. As per the carbon riser, it was OK but I've happily gone back to much cheaper bows with aluminum risers, longer axle to axle lengths and less jumpy cams. And got back to my arrows landing behind the sight pin (hitting the point of aim) on the mountain.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:35 PM

There are 2 major brands that produce a Carbon Bow are Hoyt and PSE.

Hoyt's new RX7 was released a couple days ago. Comes in 2 different ATA lengths of 30 and 34 inches.

PSE new carbon bow is called the Levitate. 32 ATA and a 10 fps faster than the Hoyt. Cam is new and a little more aggressive than the previous PSE Evolve cam.

Hoyt really shaved their weight this year and coming in almost as light as the PSE.

PROS

Weight
Warm grip in cold weather
Flagship bow with latest tech

Cons

Weight: Some complain it feels too light
More vibration
Cost

Both of these bow are approx $2400 CDN new.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:07 PM

Before you buy based on weight…. Actually weigh a carbon bow next to an aluminum one, then decide. Results might shock you.

LC
Old 12-10-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcnr View Post
Sage advice thanks. Interesting about weight.
thanks
For reference, I have a bow mounted Hoyt 6-arrow quiver available to place on my bow, but by the time I get it mounted and loaded up with 6 arrows I'm *almost* double the initial weight of the bare bow. Not what I was intending to get when I first looked at the bow. I have always run a hip quiver, especially with this bow. By taking the weight off of my out stretched arm and placing the weight of the arrows on my hip, carrying my bow is a dream. And without the additional surface area of the arrows/quiver on the bow, I feel that there's less wind effect from a crosswind (slightly less effect)

My carbon bow has a heavier than I want 7 pin sight, rest and 8" stabilizer only. Trying to keep the weight off of it is the hardest part. I may need to search for a lighter sight for sure, but I'm in love with that sight so it's tough to look at anything else. I think the only thing I would switch it out for would be a sight like the Garmin Xero A1i or something like that, but then that's too much cost currently.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Before you buy based on weight…. Actually weigh a carbon bow next to an aluminum one, then decide. Results might shock you.

LC
This.

You will be surprised how close the weight is between them.

Light bows don’t mean then shoot or hold any better. I personally hold a little heavier bow then a 3.5lb carbon bow. The extra 500-700 cash in your pocket that you save might weigh you down. Haha

That’s just me.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
There are 2 major brands that produce a Carbon Bow are Hoyt and PSE.

Hoyt's new RX7 was released a couple days ago. Comes in 2 different ATA lengths of 30 and 34 inches.

PSE new carbon bow is called the Levitate. 32 ATA and a 10 fps faster than the Hoyt. Cam is new and a little more aggressive than the previous PSE Evolve cam.

Hoyt really shaved their weight this year and coming in almost as light as the PSE.

PROS

Weight
Warm grip in cold weather
Flagship bow with latest tech

Cons

Weight: Some complain it feels too light
More vibration
Cost

Both of these bow are approx $2400 CDN new.
Ouch, thats a hefty ticket but if they're were that good it isn't out of the question. I paid around $1600 for my Mathews V3 as I recall for bare bow.

I'd like to hear from those who've made the switch and their feedback.
There is a new brand in particular that I am hearing great things about but can't for the life of me remember it right now.

thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping the wight saving but not at the expense of vibration dampening and I like the idea of not having an ice block in my hands late season. At this stage its a seed of curiosity that may or may not germinate.

thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
For reference, I have a bow mounted Hoyt 6-arrow quiver available to place on my bow, but by the time I get it mounted and loaded up with 6 arrows I'm *almost* double the initial weight of the bare bow. Not what I was intending to get when I first looked at the bow. I have always run a hip quiver, especially with this bow. By taking the weight off of my out stretched arm and placing the weight of the arrows on my hip, carrying my bow is a dream. And without the additional surface area of the arrows/quiver on the bow, I feel that there's less wind effect from a crosswind (slightly less effect)

My carbon bow has a heavier than I want 7 pin sight, rest and 8" stabilizer only. Trying to keep the weight off of it is the hardest part. I may need to search for a lighter sight for sure, but I'm in love with that sight so it's tough to look at anything else. I think the only thing I would switch it out for would be a sight like the Garmin Xero A1i or something like that, but then that's too much cost currently.
Good info. I tried hip quiver but a pain the ass when spot/stalking. It would make a huge difference right there.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:12 PM

I remember weighing a 6 arrow, two piece Hoyt quiver that I was planning to buy for the Carbon Element. Super heavy (forget the exact weight but over 20 ozs and had more hardware than Home Depot)...never bought it, and went and spent $$$ on an AXT carbon quiver that weights <7 ozs that later got replaced with a Tight Spot that I still use...been on 4 different bows and is the winner for a great bow quiver at 10 ozs.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
I remember weighing a 6 arrow, two piece Hoyt quiver that I was planning to buy for the Carbon Element. Super heavy (forget the exact weight but over 20 ozs and had more hardware than Home Depot)...never bought it, and went and spent $$$ on an AXT carbon quiver that weights <7 ozs that later got replaced with a Tight Spot that I still use...been on 4 different bows and is the winner for a great bow quiver at 10 ozs.
Awesome idea
Old 12-12-2021, 09:33 PM

I'm also considering getting a new Carbon bow and of course, I am considering the new RZ7 and Levitate. The marketing is great, I want one lol.

This thread has really brought to light the fact that with all the accessories, its probably going to be similar in weight to an aluminum bow. I plan to go and actually shoot all the carbon bows before deciding.

One thing I thought I'd add was the weight of a quiver. Some of them are really heavy. I ended up getting a couple of the Kwikee Kwivers. The 3 arrow quivers are very small, durable, weigh like 5oz, have a quick detach and cost like $40. Pretty hard to beat imo. They are cheap in price but I think they are a great product for the money. Kind of funny putting a $40 quiver on a $2400 bow.

https://kwikeekwiver.com/product/standard-quiver/
Old 12-14-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I'm also considering getting a new Carbon bow and of course, I am considering the new RZ7 and Levitate. The marketing is great, I want one lol.

This thread has really brought to light the fact that with all the accessories, its probably going to be similar in weight to an aluminum bow. I plan to go and actually shoot all the carbon bows before deciding.

One thing I thought I'd add was the weight of a quiver. Some of them are really heavy. I ended up getting a couple of the Kwikee Kwivers. The 3 arrow quivers are very small, durable, weigh like 5oz, have a quick detach and cost like $40. Pretty hard to beat imo. They are cheap in price but I think they are a great product for the money. Kind of funny putting a $40 quiver on a $2400 bow.

https://kwikeekwiver.com/product/standard-quiver/
Smart to try the various models and thats my next step. No idea what brands to choose though