Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2022, 02:08 PM

Default Used Car shopping

Well been about 5 years since I purchased a vehicle

Looking at higher end SUV's with a budget of between 45k and 55K depending on condition, km's etc.

been looking at dealers primarily and let me tell you what a painful experience. I realize that there is a shortage of cars both new and used. so I expect not as much to move on prices as I may be used to but it seems like they dont even really want to deal with you unless you basically pay asking with no questions asked.

Here are actual things I have heard in the past couple of weeks

1) I need a 1000 deposit before I can take your offer to the manager to make sure you are serious
2) I am on commission so I dont have time to answer a lot of questions if you are not prepared to buy today
3) We are not really wanting to sell the vehicle for less than asking if you are not financing through us.
4) we need a deposit before we can test drive

I am not an unreasonable person. Not rude but do expect sense of customer service. I typically try to use small town dealers as they are usually better to deal with but with shortage of cars I am looking at anywhere I can that has what I am looking for as I have some spefic things I need in a SUV.
Is this what car shopping has turned into where I feel like I am doing them a favour for buying a vehicle

Anyone else seeing this in the car market or maybe I am just overly sensitive.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:31 PM

Good luck - I have tried to buy a few vehicles used and any "good" deal is hard to get unless you are on the ball, get there NOW and bring cash.

Buying new I've had the same experience, I spec'd a new truck. MSRP is 120K - there is no movement or incentives to be had at Ford right now. Even though I bought my last 5 trucks from Windsor Ford they wont budge on pricing. Put on a waiting list. I will wait it out (maybe?)...

It's currently a sellers market, buying sucks.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:33 PM

Yes, I just went through the same experience. I wanted to buy a good used car for the summer to give my 2500 6.0 Silverado a rest, along with my pocket book..LOL.

I had a budget in mind and a list of what I narrowed my choices down to. Visited 1/2 dozen dealers took some test drives and decided on the ones I was prepared to make an offer on or so I thought. No offer accepted, not even 100.00 off the asking price, they all said they could make more selling it to the states.

So I decided that I was going to buy private. Screw the dealers. It took me 6 weeks but I finally found one on Kijiji.

Good Luck,
Old 01-22-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Well been about 5 years since I purchased a vehicle

Looking at higher end SUV's with a budget of between 45k and 55K depending on condition, km's etc.

been looking at dealers primarily and let me tell you what a painful experience. I realize that there is a shortage of cars both new and used. so I expect not as much to move on prices as I may be used to but it seems like they dont even really want to deal with you unless you basically pay asking with no questions asked.

Here are actual things I have heard in the past couple of weeks

1) I need a 1000 deposit before I can take your offer to the manager to make sure you are serious
2) I am on commission so I dont have time to answer a lot of questions if you are not prepared to buy today
3) We are not really wanting to sell the vehicle for less than asking if you are not financing through us.
4) we need a deposit before we can test drive

1) get stuffed, there are another hundred dealers within 100 miles
2) see #1
3) see #1
4) see #1

Salesjerks are making up rules as they go along. I know the cities are the worst for this.
This is literally the worst time in history to buy a vehicle, I would wait until things settle down. It is happening slowly, will smarten up at some point.
The ONLY reason I bought new is they gave me way too much for 2 trucks on trade.
$45-55 are lower end SUV's now days.

If you can, wait. Or maybe you will luck into someone trying to get out of a payment privately.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2022, 02:40 PM

Give it a few months. I’m waiting for the interest rates to climb, should be a lot more on the market over the next while. Always funny to see the difference in attitude from salesmen when it’s a buyers market.

I’m in the market for a bigger pickup (5500/550) and the used market prices are retarded.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 PM

I’m looking around all the prices are in payments every one has a gimmick
Saw a 2020 Cadillac Escalade with 70 kms. Only $250 a week
out of curiosity I message for cash price $95,000 ! At 250 a week would take a lifetime to pay off
Nobody wants a cash deal the salesman I was dealing with said if I financed part of price I would get a better deal minimum loan was $7500
Private deals are ok if you do your homework save the GST and paperwork fees I bought an SUV last year from an estate, deal went smooth the seller and I worked together on the Vehicle history deal went smoothly
Old 01-22-2022, 03:04 PM

Old man just picked up 2021 Infinity SUV decent price. Seems like okay dealership. Nice ride, holds 6, AWD. Drove it to Southern California, great ride.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:51 PM

I have never provided a deposit to test drive a vehicle, or to submit an offer, and I don't intend to start now. I bought a new vehicle in March, and the dealer didn't ask for either. As far as pricing goes, there were still factory rebates in March, as well as dealer discounts, but by May when my new vehicle arrived, both pretty much disappeared.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:59 PM

Son and i looking for a truck

Every dealership except one offered us 3 month warranty on powertrain

No one wants to move on their price.

It has been a real pita....

All of them say "oh our wholesaler will give us "x" amount for this truck so we cant move on price".....

Such b.s.

Some of these trucks are 30k and they need 6k in work.....
Old 01-22-2022, 04:42 PM

1) get stuffed, there are another hundred dealers within 100 miles
2) see #1
3) see #1
4) see #1

Son was looking for a used vehicle for cash, found one they liked and was told, unless you're willing to finance with us, take a hike.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-22-2022, 05:21 PM

Well definitely don’t go to Courtesy Chrysler.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:05 PM

I made the mistake once of giving a deposit cheque to a dealer to pursue the deal. Took 4 hrs to get my cheque back. Another dealer tried to keep the keys of my trade in, finally got them back when I started yelling in the showroom with other customers present. That is why wives hate to go car shopping. You want to take a bath after car shopping to get the slime off. Yes small town dealers have more integrity because they have to live with the locals but they only give good price deals if you belong to the same club, are a big wig in the community, or buy new every year. My best deals have always been lease backs. I rarely have trade-ins as I sell my vehicles privately.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:11 PM

I'd take Savage Bacon with me... Nuff said.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:15 PM

Bought lots from a car rental outfit, got a 38000 ram with 26000k for 24000.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:22 PM

Last year bought a six month old Santa fe with 10000k 8 grand under new from them, $.80 a k deprecated. Even rented it for a long trip to see if we liked it.

Last edited by esher; 01-22-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:25 PM

Never give up one penny until after a deal is struck.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 PM

If you can hold off, wait until the market return to more normal. Supply and demand. It is such a seller's market right now. Buy a beater and use it for a year or two until sanity returns. And it will return. When that time comes remember those who were nice to you in the days of insanity and give them your business.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:00 PM

These days used car shopping is a real treat, private party or stealership. I've been trying to help my daughter find her first car for the last couple of months.

I ask if vehicle can be viewed, get "Yes, tomorrow." as an answer. Ask when/where........no response. Check ad status 40 minutes later and vehicle listed is showing sold. Or even better, when I do confirm a time/place, out of courtesy the evening before, I ask if the meeting is still on (mostly so I don't end up wasting my time), and get a response of "It's sold." or "I changed my mind."

There are many people out there curbing and re-selling right now. I have seen quite a few entry level vehicles listed one day and sold, only to see the same vehicle for sale a couple of days later for 2K more.

Buyer beware, don't be in a hurry as there is definitely no honor among thieves. Maybe Ken was right, all people in Edmonton selling used cars are jerks. Am I wrong for secretly hoping that the lithium ion battery in their laptop/phone blows up when they submit their next ad, lol?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:36 PM

I can't see paying $40k + for anything with 250k+ kms. on it but I guess some do
Old 01-22-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I can't see paying $40k + for anything with 250k+ kms. on it but I guess some do
It’s unbelievable. In 2014 I bought my 2103 F150 with 6000km for an all in cash price of $30k from a dealership. It has 500,000km on it. With the repairs I’ve done and the purchase price I’m in for about $40k over the last 7 years. I’ve been looking but we can’t believe used pricing. At these costs I’m going to keep the Ford till it explodes. Been noticing things are starting come down in price so maybe the correction is starting.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:34 PM

I can accept the fact that they may not be as flexible on prices with inventory being as low as it is .... but the deposit before you test drive a vehicle? Not wanting to answer your questions before you make an offer to purchase today? .... WFT?

Unless you have your questions answered and you drive the vehicle and know it's something you want .... why would a deposit even make sense???

I would have simply said, "are you serious about selling a vehicle?" or "here's the offer, if you don't want to present it, that's your choice" and I would have laughed out loud if they asked me for a deposit to let me test drive the vehicle - that doesn't even make sense, why would you put a deposit on a vehicle you don't even know you want to make an offer on? I would have asked him to explain that one to me - it doesn't even make sense. Those are ridiculous and unethical tactics.

As far as someone telling you they don't have time to talk to you and answer your questions unless you buy - I would have told him "if my questions are answered there is a chance we make a deal today, if you don't, guess what, there is NO CHANCE I'm buying today" then I would have said "did you happen to think about that or are you not that smart?" - what a utterly idiotic perspective and how rude of them.

I would have lit him up and walked right out the door.

From the Salesman's perspective - At the end of the day, he missed an opportunity to sell the vehicle - and maybe some other sales guy sell that vehicle the next day and he is out of luck (personally as a commission sales guy).

Some of these things are something only a person who is a moron would do to a perspective customer and buyer. It's so stupid I can't even believe it. The sales guy isn;t even smart enough to think of the impact to himself personally. Sure the vehicle will sell, but he just talked himself out of his own commission. What a idiot.

From the dealer perspective
- They are clearly flexing on you and trying to get maximum dollar for their inventory - which is fair game I guess - as long as you are not being unethical and using bully tactics like this.

Do not allow yourself to be a sucker. Go somewhere else.

Last edited by EZM; 01-22-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Seen a lot of newer diesels listed for that kind of money.
Mind boggling
Old 01-23-2022, 01:23 AM

i got a used 2017 jeep cherokee sport from Strathmore ford about 3 months ago. was a surprisingly painless process.
I called and got a fella named carlos. I opened with, i want you to get me into a smaller suv ( gave brands i liked ) in the next week, zero down, gave my budget, what id pay monthly, and because i live out of town i want everything done before i come to pick it up , i just want sign on the line and drive off , can you do this, he said for sure, few emails, looked at a few pictures, found one i liked, did alot the paper work over emails, drove to town a week later signed papers and drove off. they were very helpfull in every way almost bending over backwards when a problem came up a month later, were the finance company said we wont finance you, ford in Strathmore got me re financed in about 48 hrs and at a cheaper monthly rate. idk if smaller town dealers work harder then big city ones but i really was surprised. id definitely check out Strathmore ford, and talk to carlos.
i believe my jeep has 50 thousand km on it and the carfax came back clean, any ways shop around there is helpful sales men out there and decent dealer ships.
flip side my wife got a used suv in calgary from Chrysler and what a nightmare it was, unhelpful dealership, her suv has been nothing but problems, they sadly pressured her into her suv, with one would almost say threats of your lucky we can even finance you no one else will probably, etc etc. wish she had told me but she was doing it on her own. so in the end there is good and bad, just need to shop around till one clicks.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:39 AM

Don’t forget to ask how many keys it comes with. I forgot to ask before I bought last week. Now I have a 2019 f150 with one key. The salesman didn’t lie, he just didn’t disclose the missing key and I never thought about asking.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:50 AM

Default Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Don’t forget to ask how many keys it comes with. I forgot to ask before I bought last week. Now I have a 2019 f150 with one key. The salesman didn’t lie, he just didn’t disclose the missing key and I never thought about asking.
I had a similar situation, we bought a used vehicle a couple years back,which came with 2 key fobs, as we were about to leave, my wife used her fob, to open the doors. No go. Changed batteries, still no go. Salesman say well it’s your car now, and a new fob is $250. Luckily the manager was a family friend, we spoke to him, and the dealership, did replace it.had we not found out for a few days, it may have been a different story.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I had a similar situation, we bought a used vehicle a couple years back,which came with 2 key fobs, as we were about to leave, my wife used her fob, to open the doors. No go. Changed batteries, still no go. Salesman say well it’s your car now, and a new fob is $250. Luckily the manager was a family friend, we spoke to him, and the dealership, did replace it.had we not found out for a few days, it may have been a different story.
He handed me the key and said good by and as he was walking away I was like, wait a minute…. And I asked him where the other one was he just said oh it came to us with one. Dealership wants $350 for the key and $190 to program it. I think I found a guy that will cut and program a regular shaped key (original is the swing out style) for $200. What a scam.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:46 AM

It used to be that if you bought a vehicle from a dealership your sales person became your friend at Christmas he would send you a Christmas card or even give a call how your new vehicle is working for you.

Now you go and buy a vehicle the salesman is pushy and as soon as you leave the lot with your new wheels. Not even a thank you no nothing. Thanks for the commission I made from you, now FO.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 AM

I would find a dealer I get along real well with, give him the list of cars you are interested in and the ball park prices. Let him find what you are looking for. There is no way in hell I would stand for the games they were trying to play with you. If it is that bad buying the car can you just imagine the after sales service.

With the price of used right now, it was cheaper to buy vehicles new. Bought a 2020 Grand Cherokee Jan 2020 for less than the same vehicle 2 years old with 50,000 K. Chrysler and the dealers had huge discounts because sales completely dried up at the beginning of Covid. Priced the exact same Jeep in a 2021 model, just 2 weeks ago thinking I might move up a model year as this is the last year for that body style in Summit trim. Best price I could get was 14,000 more than I paid in 2020. Factory ordered a 2500 Ram in March 2021 when there were still lots of incentives and large discounts to MSRP, as in 18,000 off the posted MSRP from factory incentives and the dealer. You will not find that today. I got it in Aug 2021, by which time there were no discounts from the factory at all, have been offered $30,000 more than I paid for it new. I got two very good deals but prices and supply has gotten even worse and demand has rampt up huge.

Second option is to buy one privately, which is how I have bought almost every used car I ever owned. Find what you want, take it to a good independent mechanic, check it out. If possible, buy one with at least 1 year factory warranty still on it. There is no upside to patronizing dealers that could care less about your business and will lie to your face.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:34 AM

Default SUV buying headache

I'm trying to help a young lady buy an SUV she doesn't care what kind.

Budget $25,000, for every search you must enter make , model etc. if you don't know makes it challenging, the different trim levels are mind boggling.

I prefer private deals, the problem in Lloyd is she needs a Sask. vehicle sorting the search is difficult at best.
It is possible to bring one in from Edmonton except there are no SGI inspection stations in AB. you have to buy the vehicle with a permit and bring it back for inspection if it fails.... big problem.
Also in Sask. at a dealership you must pay both taxes plus a bogus paper signing fee if it's private you pay only the 6%.

Anybody suggest a good target to start? Ford? GM?
Old 01-23-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to help a young lady buy an SUV she doesn't care what kind.

Budget $25,000, for every search you must enter make , model etc. if you don't know makes it challenging, the different trim levels are mind boggling.

I prefer private deals, the problem in Lloyd is she needs a Sask. vehicle sorting the search is difficult at best.
It is possible to bring one in from Edmonton except there are no SGI inspection stations in AB. you have to buy the vehicle with a permit and bring it back for inspection if it fails.... big problem.
Also in Sask. at a dealership you must pay both taxes plus a bogus paper signing fee if it's private you pay only the 6%.

Anybody suggest a good target to start? Ford? GM?
If you are buying in Alberta, bring the inspection sheet from Sask. You have to have the vehicle inspected in detail by a good mechanic before you buy it anyhow, make sure he checks the Sask Out Of Province list while he is at it. You will still need it done at a Sask site but at least you know it will pass. If I was spending 25,000 on an SUV I would be looking at Japanese vehicles, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai (as long as the last two are not 6 cylinder).

At your price point, likely to be out of warranty and not qualify for a factory certified program so you might as well chase the ones with a good record. My wife picked the Jeep because that is what she liked best, I have no illusions about its reliability. Only vehicle I ever bought the factory extended 7 year 115,000 KLm bumper to bumper warranty for. With all the electronics, air suspension etc it takes no time to burn 3 grand. Just fixing the GPS this spring, done on warranty, but cost would have been over $1,200 for that alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
They always say they have only one key...ALWAYS...it just another $100-$385 that they can get out of you......ive never been lied to as much as at a stealership....
Agreed. I won't buy unless they supply 2 Fobs.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-23-2022 at 09:52 AM.