Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Wabamun

Just wondering how things are at Wabamun. What are the conditions like, is driving on an issue? Specifically at the town and at Fallis ? Anyone having luck these days? I have never fished there through the ice.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:59 AM

I was at Fallis yesterday. A fair amount of flood water. I was able to get around in a 4x4 but not without some nervous moments. Fishing would have had to pick up to be slow.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderprider View Post
I was at Fallis yesterday. A fair amount of flood water. I was able to get around in a 4x4 but not without some nervous moments. Fishing would have had to pick up to be slow.
hopefully all the floodwater is gone on sunday.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-21-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
hopefully all the floodwater is gone on sunday.
The floodwater wasn’t everywhere and most of the time you could see the dark spots where it was bad but there were a few surprises and I don’t like surprises when I’m driving on ice. Lol. Plus we were the only vehicle out there after the first hour. Let’s hope it is gone soon.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderprider View Post
The floodwater wasn’t everywhere and most of the time you could see the dark spots where it was bad but there were a few surprises and I don’t like surprises when I’m driving on ice. Lol. Plus we were the only vehicle out there after the first hour. Let’s hope it is gone soon.
YUP agreed - even when the ice is 18"-20" and you know it, anytime you are breaking through the top layer of sandwiched flood ice crust and dropping a few inches - it's unnerving, and you may be puckering a bit in your seat.

Reminds me of when I took my 1/2 ton out to a spot, some flood ice, but was staying on top of the crust as I drove out with no break throughs - I could hear it crackling but seemed ok.

My buddy who was following with a one ton was breaking through every once in a while and I could see him going white as a ghost every time he popped through the crust following my tracks ... lol

Tells you how much heavier his truck was compared to mine ...

When he finally came up behind me he emerged from his vehicle clearly shaken ..... it was funny .... I'm pretty sure he filled his diaper