Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 12:54 PM

Default Glove vrs Tab vrs Thumb ring for hunting

What one do you use for hunting with a longbow ,recurve or horse bow.
Just wondering what you all use when hunting.
i use a tab when hunting because its easy to flip around on finger when not in use, and i can wear thin gloves and use the tab. its a cheap neet tab nothing fancy but it works. for when im target playing i use a glove ( heavy Buffalo leather one ) as it protects my fingers and lets me shoot longer.

what do you all use and why...
Old 11-30-2021, 07:10 PM

I took a mounted archery clinic last fall, had a great time and was a very interesting weekend. I’m not sure how the thumb rings are used, but at the clinic I went to we used a thumb guard on both thumbs, basically like a glove but only the thumb part. It was on both thumbs, to protect the bow hand from fletching( no shelf or rest on a horse bow) and to draw using the thumb. The thing most interesting about mounted archery was that it was so different that my previous experience with a compound and longbow was basically of no use and probably more of a hindrance because it made me have some bad habits(not bad for compound shooting but bad for mounted). The arrow was placed on the opposite side of the bow ( compared to compound and longbows)and we were taught to shoot right and left handed, no need for checking for a dominate eye.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:14 PM

Didn’t mean to derail, my response didn’t have anything to do with hunting. Sometimes I read too fast
Old 11-30-2021, 07:22 PM

Have always used a glove when hunting with my recurve. Tried a tab when I first started hunting with trad gear and it just wasn't my thing.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:59 PM

I prefer a glove, the commercially made deer skin ones you can get most anywhere. First thing I do is cut off the extra layer sewn over the finger tips and then give them a good coat of saddle soap as I preferred to feel the string. Tried a tab for a time but, didn't care for it. I shoot three fingers under.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:10 PM

I’ve always liked a tab. It fits in my warm gloves or mitts no problem and a spare in the bottom of the pack won’t hurt either.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Glove

Not familiar with thumb rings. Shot and hunted with both tabs and gloves. I like a glove inside a mitten. If you are in a blind or tree stand then the tab wont bother you or get lost. Keep a spare in case you drop your tab off the stand

Last edited by Knotter; 12-01-2021 at 11:28 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Default Glove

Yes for me years of bush whacking the glove is the best, no need to slap on the tap remove your hand from the mitten if it is that cold draw and let fly, I have used a thumb ring but never got used to that style of pressure on my hand, longbows now always for me been that way for forty years now, self bows as well with now shelf right or left hand side of the bow for fast shooting the glove just protects more and is always on my hand.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:51 PM

oh no cody , that is really interesting, id like hear more about this horse archery thing you went to, and were to do it, horse bows and mounted archery interest me alot.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:01 PM

The clinic I took was in Valleyview in September. The instructor was Kenton Miller from Okotoks. It was a good weekend and he is a good coach. Search Kenton Kaspian Miller on Facebook for more info. He has a facility where they shoot year round and also sells mounted archery gear. I found it fun and would recommend it to anyone who likes riding and archery. It’s so different from other forms of archery that you don’t need any previous archery experience to try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63547FC9-E6D2-4100-B2A8-D670635F39A6.jpg (26.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:38 AM

thank you for the info. great pic. looks like a great time.
ill definitely be looking into it.