Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 PM

Default 2003 gmc power steering

So I leave work and no power steering,pop the hood oil everywhere.Return line popped off on gear box.K so I can drive home with manual steering.Ha hit brakes I have none to very little.Crap! So manage to drive home do some google and as some of you know GM hydro boost something or other.So reattach hose fill res jack truck up turn lock to lock 50 times to bleed.All good.
Take for test drive steering works,brakes work again yay.But brake peddle kicks back a little when I depress pedal?hmmm check fluid all foamy.
So i must have a leak,hard to tell fluid everywhere from it popping off.
Any idea why the return line would pop off?
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
So I leave work and no power steering,pop the hood oil everywhere.Return line popped off on gear box.K so I can drive home with manual steering.Ha hit brakes I have none to very little.Crap! So manage to drive home do some google and as some of you know GM hydro boost something or other.So reattach hose fill res jack truck up turn lock to lock 50 times to bleed.All good.
Take for test drive steering works,brakes work again yay.But brake peddle kicks back a little when I depress pedal?hmmm check fluid all foamy.
So i must have a leak,hard to tell fluid everywhere from it popping off.
Any idea why the return line would pop off?
Thanks.
You probably have air in the system still that’s why it’s foamy
Old 01-27-2021, 06:33 PM
Banned

Prior to the failure, when was the last time the fluid was changed?

Just did mine a couple of months ago (2006 2500HD), disconnected return line and extended to a pail, jacked it up cycled steering and also pumped brakes while checking and keeping ps reservoir full. Used synthetic ps fluid, works great now.

The reason I did mine was that the ps failed as I was backing out of the garage, brakes were nearly non-existent too. No leak, but likely some gunk in the old fluid temporarily plugged a port or something. Revved up the engine a little and it returned to normal, but I did the flush (and added an in-line filter on the return) shortly after.

Return line doesn't have any pressure on it so it was odd it popped off unless something became plugged and pressure built up.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:13 PM

So jack up again and bleed.There was something about starting full left turn then fill res.I missed that part.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:14 AM

If the return line popped off in this cold weather it’s most likely due to the fluid being so cold it couldn’t flow and it had to blow the return line off to relieve pressure. Does it have a power steering cooler? If so I’d bet it had fluid like molasses in it and couldn’t flow. Double clamp your return line fittings it’ll help keep things together.

As for the air in the system that’ll be why it’s foamy, it’ll eventually work it’s way out usually after sitting overnight or just using the steering, keep an eye on the level as air comes out and you’ll be fine.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
If the return line popped off in this cold weather it’s most likely due to the fluid being so cold it couldn’t flow and it had to blow the return line off to relieve pressure. Does it have a power steering cooler? If so I’d bet it had fluid like molasses in it and couldn’t flow. Double clamp your return line fittings it’ll help keep things together.

As for the air in the system that’ll be why it’s foamy, it’ll eventually work it’s way out usually after sitting overnight or just using the steering, keep an eye on the level as air comes out and you’ll be fine.
Cheers.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:32 AM

If the return line popped off at the pump (you said gear box) any blockage would of had to been at the pump itself . Anything upstream would not cause the line to come off the pump . Power steering fluid does get more viscous as it gets colder but lots of vehicles get started at -40c without issue. It hasnt been that cold .

I would guess that the clamp was loose or maybe had been taken off at one time and damaged or not put back on properly and decided to let go that day .
Old 01-28-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
If the return line popped off at the pump (you said gear box) any blockage would of had to been at the pump itself . Anything upstream would not cause the line to come off the pump . Power steering fluid does get more viscous as it gets colder but lots of vehicles get started at -40c without issue. It hasnt been that cold .

I would guess that the clamp was loose or maybe had been taken off at one time and damaged or not put back on properly and decided to let go that day .
Vehicles do get started at those temps yes, but it occurs when a vehicle is started and the power steering hasn’t had a chance to warm up a little and you back out of the parking spot or drive straight out and turn sharp one way or the other and blows the return line off, and yes especially if a clamp is loose. If the line blew off at the gear box like he said then it can most definitely be a blockage in the cooler if equipped.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Vehicles do get started at those temps yes, but it occurs when a vehicle is started and the power steering hasn’t had a chance to warm up a little and you back out of the parking spot or drive straight out and turn sharp one way or the other and blows the return line off, and yes especially if a clamp is loose. If the line blew off at the gear box like he said then it can most definitely be a blockage in the cooler if equipped.
I stand corrected . I had a pump in mind because i have always heard the " gear box" called the steering box .
Old 01-28-2021, 08:12 AM

This hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 AM

Got it , thanks .