Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Default Buying guns Not any better in Texas

Was in a sporting store this morning a lady come in to buy a 22 rifle for her husband. He had picked it out of the flyer and sent her in. So she shows the guy at the counter what one. He asked her a few questions then she says it's for my husband. The guy behind the counter says he can't sell it to her knowing she is giving it to her husband. Says he must come in and fill out the paper work. She leaves upset saying this isn't the first rifle I've bought but it will be the last one from here we try to buy.

Also only someone with an FFL can ship rifles to another place with an FFL.

I think it's pretty good I can send my wife into buy me a rifle with her pal. Or I can get anyone in Canada so ship me a rifle to my door. I guess we don't have it to bad.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Had this discussion with some guys in California a couple years back....they asked me how bad the laws were here. I told them....

They were astonished I didn't have to leave fingerprints behind or have a minimum "waiting" period...

LC
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Yup.
People often complain about laws here and refer to the US as an example of how it ought to be but they don't consider how much more difficult it really is in some ways....in the US.

Waiting periods, finger prints, movement between states, states having different rules about what is and is not legal, CCW, open carry...the list goes on.

To be honest despite the failings that might exist with respect to our firearms laws at least they are relatively easy to negotiate and consistent with one or two small exceptions across the country.

Being a firearm owner in the states seems to be a bigger pain in the butt than it is here... especially if you happen to travel between states with your guns.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM

The big difference between Kanada, and the USA, is

We have no property rights. Everything except single shots could be classes as prohibited overnight, and the Govt, doesn't have to pay us nothing in doing so, no recourse, all through OiC.

We have no rights as to owning or possessing firearms in ths country. It is deemed a privlige, and it is only allowed at the Govt's discression (sec. 91 &92 CCofC).

Sure there are hoops to jump through stateside...some of it pretty non sensical...but they can hunt with MSR's (modern sporting rifles) thats AR platforms, the majority of states of CCW legislation. And they have their Second Ammendment of their constitution.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Some of California's gun laws are even more restrictive than ours. Wouldn't want to live there.

Being able to CCW and hunt with a handgun would be nice...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM

imagine the horror at having to go in person to buy something for yourself.

as of september 1st it is legal in texas to hunt with supressed rifles. Have 3 buddies that live there and they shake their head at me all the time.