Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 12:33 PM

Default Alberta Boards to other Provence

So the May long weekend is coming !
Are we allowed to go camping in Sask or BC ?
Old 04-26-2021, 06:27 PM

Well I would think BC is a no go with their new (again) protocols. Maybe by May long it’ll change. (yet again).
Old 04-26-2021, 06:34 PM

Yeah, we have a niece getting married in July in Langley. I'm not booking flights until the last minute, IF things are open then.

But I expect there won't be much of a wedding.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-26-2021, 08:28 PM

We are also in a kinda pickle... Found a really nice place in Valemount,bc , nice cabin etc that we wanted to go in June for a week. If the border is closed- is there a way to sneak in? Logging roads etc?
Old 04-26-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
We are also in a kinda pickle... Found a really nice place in Valemount,bc , nice cabin etc that we wanted to go in June for a week. If the border is closed- is there a way to sneak in? Logging roads etc?
SIL tried that once. Spent the night in the snow stuck suv. Trekked 25K next day and found by police looking for her.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
not any that you will make it from ab to valmount, wouldnt be to worried about it though go have fun, valemount is a beautiful place to explore
try the little lost lake hike, its a beautiful spot for a picknik,
go for a drive down kinbasket lake and try a few of the logging roads, you can get up high with a few of them (yellow jacket and david thompson road) you can get some great views
Old 04-26-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
SIL tried that once. Spent the night in the snow stuck suv. Trekked 25K next day and found by police looking for her.
I don’t think I have to worry about getting stuck in the snow at the end of June...
Old 04-26-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
not any that you will make it from ab to valmount, wouldnt be to worried about it though go have fun, valemount is a beautiful place to explore
go for a drive down kinbasket lake and try a few of the logging roads, you can get up high with a few of them (yellow jacket and david thompson road) you can get some great views
Thanks a lot for the tip! We have passed thru the area on the way to BC coast but had never actually stopped there! So far I was told about taking a boat safari on the river to see bears etc. Was told about a nice 10km long trail in this area.
What I was wondering is this: first, what is the situation with mosquitoes at the end of June? And what about the safety while hiking there? Do I need to bring a firearm( we will have a small kid with us) or bear spray is enough? Or is it even necessary?
Old 04-26-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Provence???
Old 04-27-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Both of the roads go to crap in a hurry and become atv trails. Last time I was hunting grizzly in that area yellow jacket took a beating do to avalanches. Dave Henery(I assume this is what you mean) the road washed out to a sketchy just wide enough for an atv before you reach the first slides. Past that it basically a trail

I have not been there since I moved but my buddies hunt black bear there every spring. The only road that they said was getting fixed was ptarmigan. A lot of the roads in this area are unreliable do to slides every year

Still an awesome area and one of my favorite places
Old 04-27-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Both of the roads go to crap in a hurry and become atv trails. Last time I was hunting grizzly in that area yellow jacket took a beating do to avalanches. Dave Henery(I assume this is what you mean) the road washed out to a sketchy just wide enough for an atv before you reach the first slides. Past that it basically a trail

I have not been there since I moved but my buddies hunt black bear there every spring. The only road that they said was getting fixed was ptarmigan. A lot of the roads in this area are unreliable do to slides every year

Thank you! Will keep this in mind too!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
No travel to BC until at least after the May long. Go if you want and expect to be harassed, fined and told to go home......just don't come back here and whine about it.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...travel/current
Old 04-27-2021, 11:17 AM

All there is, is a sign at the border on the 43
Old 04-27-2021, 01:35 PM

Meh..... BC can go blow goats for all I care. Alberta has everything and more than BC has to offer and at lower prices. The exception being a coastline, but by the time you get out there the cost isn't in the cards for this cowboy.....

For sure I won't be dragging my trailer out there to stay. Fuel prices the last time I was out there in the lower mainland almost bankrupted me - can't imagine the prices falling this summer anytime soon.

And I'm tired of BC, Ontario, Quebec and just about every other province (beside our immediate neighbors to the East) kicking AB down like a step-child.... But still wanting all the equalization payments to continue.

J.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Will keep this in mind too!
Lots of places with ATV access but between washouts and alders a lot of the roads are no longer roads. East side is way worse then the west side of the lake

Odds are at least one of my friends will be in the area black bear hunting come May if the Covid restrictions don’t screw up their plans. In BC they are being restricted to their health region even
Old 04-27-2021, 02:49 PM

Do whatever you want and/or are comfortable doing.

I do what's best for my family and their mental health. If that means traveling to BC for a week so I can recharge, I will go.

So far it's only been fake cops pulling people over. Any ticket would have a real hard time standing up in court.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Do whatever you want and/or are comfortable doing.

I do what's best for my family and their mental health. If that means traveling to BC for a week so I can recharge, I will go.

So far it's only been fake cops pulling people over. Any ticket would have a real hard time standing up in court.
Exactly what he said.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Just drive there. Dont even hesitate.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:16 PM

BC is open, there is some focus on the lower waste land and communism Island, but the rest of the Province is pretty well open.

Just look at the map above for travel; I can travel from here in Fort St. John to Kelowna as it is all one big health unit. Police down along the coast were busy over the weekend, but disappeared early this week.

I wouldn't worry about it as there is a ton of red/white plates up here and I am sure there is the same amount of blue/white plates in Alberta. Work, medical etc. allow us to travel back and forth.

*****gan was already told they couldn't legally close cross provincial travel.

Who knows whats in is store for the future, but you only get one life, so go live it!

Cheers

SS
Old 04-27-2021, 08:48 PM

watched the bc premier live on,tv take questions and he told alberta s to stay home
Old 04-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Ah yes sorry David henery.
Most all of my exploration out there was on a sxs or in my raptor, you have to be careful but as of last summer most roads were in decent enough shape to drive up if you far enough to get a cool picture of the lake No you won’t get to the alpine that’s for sure.
SB. It is a beautiful area. Have you ever been up canoe to the tower? Now that’s a road I wouldn’t want to try in a vehicle, sxs or quad only. She’s ruff
You used to be able to get up to the clemina cabin with a vehicle no problem but not sure how the road is with the washout and pipeline in the area this year.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Ah yes sorry David henery.
Most all of my exploration out there was on a sxs or in my raptor, you have to be careful but as of last summer most roads were in decent enough shape to drive up if you far enough to get a cool picture of the lake No you won’t get to the alpine that’s for sure.
SB. It is a beautiful area. Have you ever been up canoe to the tower? Now that’s a road I wouldn’t want to try in a vehicle, sxs or quad only. She’s ruff
You used to be able to get up to the clemina cabin with a vehicle no problem but not sure how the road is with the washout and pipeline in the area this year.
I would have to look at a map to confirm all the road names but I am pretty confident over the years I spent bear hunting around kinbasket Lake I explored every possible spot I could access with a quad. I have also climbed into every slides I could get within 5km(maybe farther at times) of with an ATV looking for grizzly

Awesome area and lots of great memories but once the grizzly hunt was closed it lost a lot of its magic for me

The top end of Dave Henery across the log bridge is my favorite area in that country