Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 PM

Default trapping

so I was told I could not snare coyotes on my property without having a trappers license.. but I was told of a guy trapping beavers on private property... wouldn't this be the same
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Beavers and coyotes are two different critters.
Who knows why, but the regulations are what they are.I suggest if y have a issue wit coyotes you read the trapping regulations if you want to trap them, I found the answer in two minutes BTW.
Cat
Old 06-28-2016, 12:56 PM

not looking to trap them but thanks just seeing if its was ok for the guy to trap beavers without trapping license
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Oh yeah , beavers are okay on private land / it may be because they do more damage when they Dam up creeks etc.
I would still give the regs a good read however !
Cat
Old 06-28-2016, 01:53 PM

thanks for the answer
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-28-2016, 02:43 PM

Anyone can trap beavers as a nuisance, you cannot however sell any part of them without a trappers license.

Keep in mind the traps you use MUST still be approved, if you have never set a 330conibear before....make sure you really understand how they work.

LC
Old 06-30-2016, 02:34 PM

thanks lefty I have been trapping with my grandfather before and helped him out... I have used the conibear traps before ... but thanks for the info that part i did not know
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 PM

Default Beavers

Sorry lefty but anyone trapping beaver on private land can sell the beaver, either whole or the hide. Farmers who shoot coyotes on private land or hunters who hunt with a valid wildlife certificate can also sell the coyote without a trappers licence.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Sorry lefty but anyone trapping beaver on private land can sell the beaver, either whole or the hide. Farmers who shoot coyotes on private land or hunters who hunt with a valid wildlife certificate can also sell the coyote without a trappers licence.
I was told that those trapping for nuisance could not sell the Beavers whole or skinned as bear bait.

LC
Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 PM

Talked with F&W today who said they could be sold to a person with a fur buyers license not sure about selling to others for bear bait. Will look in to it and let you know.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Talked with F&W today who said they could be sold to a person with a fur buyers license not sure about selling to others for bear bait. Will look in to it and let you know.
Thanks! I was told a trapper can sell the carcass after it is skinned. A buddy almost caught trouble this past season because he was asked where he obtained a beaver for his baits. The officer told him if it was given to him and was trapped as a nuisance, he was good but if he bought or bartered (traded) for it he would have been in trouble.

LC
Old 07-07-2016, 09:31 PM

I as well as many trappers who trap nuisance beaver for counties or other employers can legally sell beavers for bear bait as long as they are skinned first. Can't see why it would be any different for anyone who legally kills a nuisance beaver weather trapped or shot.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I as well as many trappers who trap nuisance beaver for counties or other employers can legally sell beavers for bear bait as long as they are skinned first. Can't see why it would be any different for anyone who legally kills a nuisance beaver weather trapped or shot.
Not sure, this officer told my buddy that they are cracking down on that! Technically you are catching those under your license I think because you are skinning them. If you sold them whole that's where you can catch flack. I am just going by what I was told. I do know a nuisance beaver can be used whole by the person who obtained it for bear bait. Only if trapped as a nuisance and not under a resident/registered trap line.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-07-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM

These nuisance beaver are not caught under a trapping license as they are caught when the season is over. The rules have been changed and anyone can trap beavers at anytime on private land with written permission from the land owner( page 21 trapping reg). Only rule is that the beaver must be skinned.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
These nuisance beaver are not caught under a trapping license as they are caught when the season is over. The rules have been changed and anyone can trap beavers at anytime on private land with written permission from the land owner( page 21 trapping reg). Only rule is that the beaver must be skinned.
I was told a nuisance beaver did not have to be skinned because they can even be left whole and not recovered, but they couldn't be sold whole.

Maybe we are saying the same thing

LC
Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 PM

Your right they do not have to recover them, they can be left to rot. But you can legally recover them and sell them for bear bait only if you skin them first. You can also skin them and prepare the hide and sell it to a fur buyer even if you do not have a trappers license. You can also save the casters or tail and sell them as well.