Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Gotta be honest - if I hit a 10" target once in 5 rounds offhand at 500 yds I'd be happy. Judging by my group sizes offhand my maximum hunting distance offhand is <150 yds, preferably < 100. Anything more I'm looking for a supported position. That said, I'm new to hunting, shooting larger calibers and probably overly cautious - I'd rather pass on a shot than risk wounding an animal.

Interesting thread, though. I'd propose a new contest - offhand at 250 yds, within the MPBR of most calibers for minimum group size. Say 4/5 within 6 inches is acceptable (with the idea that hitting with 9" is a clean kill on typical game animals), with bragging rights to the smallest group size. Needs to be cold bore, first five shots at the range (you can walk in circles for 5 miles to simulate hunting conditions if you like ). Should be easy really, since this is ~ 2.3 MOA (6/1.047/2.5), and every rifle in every magazine and on the EE shoots sub MOA, which means their owner must too.

Would like to see anyone who tries it post their groups no matter what. Would love to see how many groups 'pass' and in what calibers. Post your hunting and competition experience if you like. Hopefully, we'll see dozens of groups that pass. Just my $0.02

As a side benefit, if a 243 preferably (or 260 or 7mm-08 wins) I'll use it as evidence to convince my wife I need a new rifle

Hard to say I need another rifle with a 223, 308, and 7mm rem mag so any help is appreciated!!!
There are a couple of CHALLENGES that may meet your interst ...one, standing offhand at 300M and the other shooting off a bipod or "field" rest at 100m. I will bring them to the top so you can take a look. NOTE: The bipod/field rest Challenge is a hybrid brought over from CGN ... and if you search on that site, it is called the COLD BORE challenge as the first shot in each group must be shot on a different day from a cold bore. I just modified it to make it a bit more user friendly for AO.