Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Default Walleye Jigs

In the past it was a minor issue but know it is becoming a real pain in the backside. I am losing a large number of Walleye and Pike because of the hook straitening out on the jig. The jigs at Bass Pro I expected this and they did instantly. So I stuck with Northland jigs and they were ok until I stocked up on new jigs this year. These are now like the BP jigs, a piece of lead with soft wire sticking out of them. Complete garbage!

First off I have absolutely no time to make my own jigs as I have to scratch out time to just get on the water. Soooooo, what brand is out there that still actually use real quality hooks?

Thanks, Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM

VMC jigs are great , very strong
Old 06-13-2019, 06:20 PM

Thanks. I will see where I can buy them online.

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM

I've never really thought about it, I use whatever is cheap and the only time I have one straighten out on me is when its snagged on a log or something. Just out of curiosity how strong of line are you using?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've never really thought about it, I use whatever is cheap and the only time I have one straighten out on me is when its snagged on a log or something. Just out of curiosity how strong of line are you using?
20/lb braid. It use to be the odd Pike doing the squirrelly dance would straighten the hook. But! This last weekend I had 3 Walleye straighten Northlands 1/2 oz little thumper jig

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
20/lb braid. It use to be the odd Pike doing the squirrelly dance would straighten the hook. But! This last weekend I had 3 Walleye straighten Northlands 1/2 oz little thumper jig

Dodger
I think if you went down to 10 lb line, or simply loosened your drag it might fix your problem. I generally use 10 lb line for jigging, and despite using some absolute garbage jig heads the only time I've lost a fish in the manner you describe was on a couple occasions when I got too horsey with the handline while ice fishing.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
VMC jigs are great , very strong
Looking online and finding what I want in this brand is pretty much a no go. I can find one here or one there. Wanted to buy 20 at a time but no dice. Strange?

Dodger
Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 PM

I haven’t used them a lot yet but the quality from big sky flies and jigs is really good.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Not sure where you can buy that many at once in bulk online , I usually just buy me a couple at a time at Canadian tire or cabelas.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 PM

High Caliber Lures in Kerrobert SK.....been using their stuff for a bit now and super happy with the quality. They have a website and a few Facebook pages
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Not sure where you can buy that many at once in bulk online , I usually just buy me a couple at a time at Canadian tire or cabelas.
I see they are packaged in ones and two packs. I was just want to put 10-20 packs on my order. Even Amazon has 1-2 in stock so it’s not worth placing the order. But I’m still looking as I like the looks of these.

Dodger.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I haven’t used them a lot yet but the quality from big sky flies and jigs is really good.
I have, and do almost exclusively use big sky Jigs. Great quality hooks, all hand made hand painted, right here in southern Alberta. Call Dan up, he will make anything you want, and any quantity you want.

Www.bigskyflies.ca
Old 06-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
I have, and do almost exclusively use big sky Jigs. Great quality hooks, all hand made hand painted, right here in southern Alberta. Call Dan up, he will make anything you want, and any quantity you want.

Www.bigskyflies.ca
Thanks, I saved the link. I see he is sold out of the one I want to try but I’ll probably get an order in.

Dodger
Old 06-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Imo the best jigs and soft plastics are from BFISHN tackle. The h20 precision jig comes in many colours and sizes. Their Authentx moxi and pulse-r are the best walleye soft plastics

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Imo the best jigs and soft plastics are from BFISHN tackle. The h20 precision jig comes in many colours and sizes. Their Authentx moxi and pulse-r are the best walleye soft plastics

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Thanks from me, not the wife so much

Dodger
Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Sourdough Bay Supplies in Medicine Hat has a great selection of quality jigheads.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Chinese soft hooks

It's hard to buy anything not made in China these days.Swedish,Norway or Japan /Magatzu hooks are all VG.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Mizuno but only the ones with the red hook. Best going and lighten up on the line. I used to run 12lb braid but now run 8lb P line. No issues with larger fish just use a good light rod and reel. Way more fun and you will not be straightening your hooks
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Knuckle Balls, VMC Hammerhead, Big Sky and High Calibre Lures are all good options.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors