Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2023, 12:35 PM

Default Henry 22WMR pump

Does anyone have a Henry pump action 22mag? What can you say about it? I’m split right now between buying a Glock 48 or a 22mag. I know I’ll use the Glock on days I don’t want to carry my 320x compact but I’ve made that pistol due for 4 years now.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:45 PM

Had a Henry pump, but in 22lr. The novelty wore off and it went down the road. It went bang but nothing special accuracy wise. Intended use?

The 48 is sweet. IMO as good as it gets. Never got used to the sig/beretta feel, could never shoot it worth a dang. 1911 was ok slow, but not as good when fast and up close.

In my experience most people have a pretty strong split between the three, when doing actual pistol work (not standing and plinking). I’d say go run your 320 and a 48 through the same course, you will know what you like. To me what you have with you and depend on every day needs to be perfect.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:28 PM

I try not to talk anyone into, or OUT of any gun...but like the previous comment, I had one in 22 (bought used) and if memory served, listed it for sale after the first outing. The design of the pump mechanism and how the wood pump attaches seemed a bit unrefined. Not a smooth operating gun. Heavy gun, handsome gun, but decided there were more things I didn't like about it than the other way around.

Put me off the pump for sure, but probably off of Henry rimfires overall. I've almost bought one of their lever action "garden guns" on a few occasions, just for the novelty...an maybe partly for the wood stock on that model=maybe one of the nicer, more original stocks I've seen. However, once bitten..

I've been wanting to like a pump 22 on/off for over 10 years and the Henry is just one I bough/tried/sold. The one sticking around now is an older Remington 572. Sweet, smooth operator.

But 22LR, not 22WMR

There is a bolt action in 22WMR I have my eye on but if you're wanting something other than a bolt gun, a Winchester lever action might be my second choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and safe shooting!
Old 09-15-2023, 12:12 AM

Good to know those who had one weren’t impressed! I will have to look at other options I suppose. I’ll still get the 48 as the 320 prints more than I like in the summer. I did change out the factory X grip to a wilson combat grip module. Much better although the X grip module is better than the regular grip module. 1911 is a fantastic gun but not for what I need it to do. They are a Swiss watch for sure but heavy and 8+1 is kind of a bummer when the micro 9s are getting at least 10-17.