Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2023, 10:48 AM

Default Help me NOT buy a Sako 90 Bavarian!

Hey guys, there is a good chance I will treat myself next year and buy a new riffle, this will be THE riffle, the one that i will hunt with all the time and/or just take it out and stare at it. A bit of a backstory, I currently own a Sako 75 HB chambered in 7mmrm, I love the gun, the action, the caliber, everything. Some drawbacks are; the weight, the gun weighs about 12 lbs, super heavy, it is a heavy barrel Varmint style model that they used to make but dont make anymore, its great when shooting from a tripod but very hard freehand, secondly the stock is too low for my scope so i had to put a cheek riser on it, not a big deal but still not ideal.
So here is what is "locked" in"
-Caliber=7mmrm
-Scope = Leupold VX5HD 3x15

I absolutely love the look and the heft of the Bavarian, the only drawback for me would be the lower cheek weld, thats it! The hunter model looks a bit higher cheek weld, but it doesn't have that classic look I love so much, not a deal breaker, just being a princess at this point.

So let me know what you guys think! And yes I know that they are very pricey and it would be stupid to buy it at that price and all, but hey, i am bored at work and really looking for something to get me through the next few months! Fire away! TIA
Old 09-10-2023, 11:09 AM

Very sexy. But I think that stock style is more meant to be left un scoped. And a cheek riser would take away from the classy look. The hunter model looks to be a better stock design for using a scope.

Last edited by ghfalls; 09-10-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:01 PM

Have you had one in hand yet?

I have the 85 Bavarian Carbine in 30-06. I love it but it is heavy. I only carry it if I am sitting on a cutline or field edge as I do not wish to lug it through the bush or on a lengthy hike.

Not sure whee you call home, but if you happen to be in the Edmonton area, drop me a PM and you can arrange for you to get a feel for the rifle as the geometry really has not changed between the models. The only real change between the 85 and 90 is the cut to the receiver, shape of the ejection port, and an extra $1000.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:40 PM

I have never had one in hand no, I live in Fort Mac, but thanks for the offer, that is very generous of you. If you had to do it again would you go for the hunter model??
Old 09-10-2023, 02:45 PM

The Bavarian is meant to be an open sighted, quick shooting operation. For their driven hunts were the shooters on an elevated stand. IMO you already have that scenario covered. When I buy guns, it’s to add a capability.

One lightweight, one fast action lever, one long range, etc.

If you don’t like packing 12 lbs, get a sub 7 lb rifle. Weatherby, proof, Christensen etc. Makes it an easy decision as to which one you take. Stand hunt - current sako, long walk - lightweight.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:50 PM

Yeah the Bavarian is making less and less sense yhe more I look at it...the Hunter is taking the lead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2023, 05:30 PM

Sell the 75 varmint and pick up a 75, maybe a Finnlight in 7rm or whichever model you like and can find, minus the heavy barrel, and enjoy not powerlifting while hunting?
Old 09-10-2023, 05:48 PM

Although it's a bit heavy, I think it's a beautiful looking rifle. Aside from the metal work, it is very similar to this model of the Zoli - https://ammoterra.com/product/zoli-a...0-bavarian-lux

Gorgeous guns
Old 09-10-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Although it's a bit heavy, I think it's a beautiful looking rifle. Aside from the metal work, it is very similar to this model of the Zoli - https://ammoterra.com/product/zoli-a...0-bavarian-lux

Gorgeous guns

Exactly, plus I dont mind the bit of weight, it feels more stable to me if that makes any sense

Old 09-10-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
The Bavarian is meant to be an open sighted, quick shooting operation. For their driven hunts were the shooters on an elevated stand. IMO you already have that scenario covered. When I buy guns, it’s to add a capability.

One lightweight, one fast action lever, one long range, etc.

If you don’t like packing 12 lbs, get a sub 7 lb rifle. Weatherby, proof, Christensen etc. Makes it an easy decision as to which one you take. Stand hunt - current sako, long walk - lightweight.

Thanks for the feedback, but I litteraly do all of the above in the same day, sometimes spending a few hours sitting with tripod, sometimes still hunting in the bush...

Old 09-10-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
I have never had one in hand no, I live in Fort Mac, but thanks for the offer, that is very generous of you. If you had to do it again would you go for the hunter model??
I have several 85s, had a few others that I sold or traded away. A Finnlight 7-08, Finnlight 270WSM, Stanless/Synthetic 270Win, Bavarian 375H&H, Bavarian Carbine 30-06, Hunter 300WSM, BlackWolf 7RM, and a Finnlight2 300WM.

The standard stock Bavarian 375H&H was painful to shoot with the light walnut and hogsback stock was really not conducive to dealing with recoil so I dropped it into a laminate stock with a good recoil pad. Even the Bavarian Carbine can be awkward to shoot with the added weight of the full length stock and lighter cartridge. I have a low-mount, compact Swarovski on it but it can be awkward to use. I find the drop comb is actually a bit low for using the irons. My eye lines up quite nicely with Sako irons on a straight comb stock. I love the look and feel of the Bavarian Carbine but it is not a great choice if it is intended as your primary rifle. I only carry it on whitetail hunts during which I sit on a cutline or field edge and the shots are close.

My overall favourite for hunting is the Stainless/Synthetic 270Win. Straight comb for ease of use with an optic and a stock that is rigid enough for shooting from a bipod. I recommend either the Stainless/Synthetic or the Stainless/Laminate for anyone wanting a general purpose, do all sort of rifle, but want to treat themselves to a quality rifle. Although I often lean towards the Finnlight, the stock is much lighter and more flexible than the Stainless/Synthetic making it a poor choice when shooting from a bipod.

And, regarding the Hunter model, no. They look nice and feel good in the hand but this line tends to get the lesser quality wood; very light and porous walnut that absorbs moisture quickly and warps or cracks. I will never own another 85 Hunter. I had a nice one but parted with it after having to repair several others belonging to friends and colleagues.

Again, if you are in Edmonton, drop me a PM and you can compare the various 85s to the Bavarian.

Last edited by raised by wolves; 09-10-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:05 PM

Take Raised by Wolves up on his offer. We worked together for years. He knows his stuff, and has a stable of Sakos to handle. Well worth your time.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Take Raised by Wolves up on his offer. We worked together for years. He knows his stuff, and has a stable of Sakos to handle. Well worth your time.
Cheers brother!
Old 09-10-2023, 09:24 PM

Need to add another comment for the OP:

Today I had the opportunity to have the new 90 Adventure and Hunter in hand. Now on the Adventure model, I like the idea of moving away from the traditional tapered dovetails from the A5, 75, and 85 lines and to the integrated pic rail. But it seems strange that Sako kept the traditional dovetail on the Hunter; why keep two different mounting systems on the 90. I also like the change to the receiver's cutouts for the ejection port. But the stock is junk. Very light and flexible, much like the 75 and 85 Finnlights. With a price tag of $3400, there should be a good stock on this rifle.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:51 PM

Just to bring some perspective. $3400 will put you into any number of exceptional rifles. I wouldn’t get stuck on a Sako by any means. I have had a number of them over the years. All very good quality, accurate rifles. The Bavarian stock, while pretty, was heavy like hell, and the drop comb did not lend itself to a good cheek weld with a scope. At all. For that reason, they are a hard pass for me from now on. I could also never figure out the hard rubber butt pad. Bloody hell that rifle had a sharp kick. It was a 270 WSM. I wouldn’t want to shoot one in 375 hurt like hell.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Cheers brother!
Let’s go for Vietnamese with Rodrigues.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Need to add another comment for the OP:

Today I had the opportunity to have the new 90 Adventure and Hunter in hand. Now on the Adventure model, I like the idea of moving away from the traditional tapered dovetails from the A5, 75, and 85 lines and to the integrated pic rail. But it seems strange that Sako kept the traditional dovetail on the Hunter; why keep two different mounting systems on the 90. I also like the change to the receiver's cutouts for the ejection port. But the stock is junk. Very light and flexible, much like the 75 and 85 Finnlights. With a price tag of $3400, there should be a good stock on this rifle.

According to my google machine, the hunter has the option of pic rails..

Old 09-10-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Just to bring some perspective. $3400 will put you into any number of exceptional rifles. I wouldn’t get stuck on a Sako by any means. I have had a number of them over the years. All very good quality, accurate rifles. The Bavarian stock, while pretty, was heavy like hell, and the drop comb did not lend itself to a good cheek weld with a scope. At all. For that reason, they are a hard pass for me from now on. I could also never figure out the hard rubber butt pad. Bloody hell that rifle had a sharp kick. It was a 270 WSM. I wouldn’t want to shoot one in 375 hurt like hell.

Do you have any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Let’s go for Vietnamese with Rodrigues.
Yes Sir! Good plan.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions?

You seem to like nice wood, so in the same ballpark, I may suggest a Model 70 Super Grade with AAA French Walnut stock. Lovely. And a Weatherby Mark V is also a classic wood stocked, quality rifle.

PS: There is no wrong choice.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
You seem to like nice wood, so in the same ballpark, I may suggest a Model 70 Super Grade with AAA French Walnut stock. Lovely. And a Weatherby Mark V is also a classic wood stocked, quality rifle.

PS: There is no wrong choice.
I own a model 70, not a big fan of the action.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
According to my google machine, the hunter has the option of pic rails..

I was wrong, I believe the website has posted a pic of the Sako 90 Varmint
Old 09-12-2023, 09:23 AM

Well, I did a complete 180 and am looking at the Sako 90 Adventure now...
Old 09-12-2023, 09:40 AM

Aaaaaand I just bought it...
Now onto scope mount!
I will be putting a vx5hd on this thing, what mounts do you guys think will be best?
Old 09-12-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Now onto scope mount!
I will be putting a vx5hd on this thing, what mounts do you guys think will be best?
Very nice. Much better than a Bavarian!
Old 09-12-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Now onto scope mount!
ATRS

When I set up my 7 mag, I spent months down the optics rabbit hole. Bought the ATRS lows, and they are perfect. You will have to do some measuring to see if you need low or medium though

And congrats - that’s a sweet rifle
Old 09-12-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
ATRS

When I set up my 7 mag, I spent months down the optics rabbit hole. Bought the ATRS lows, and they are perfect. You will have to do some measuring to see if you need low or medium though

And congrats - that’s a sweet rifle
I contacted Leupold and they told me to use their Medium rings, so that's what i ordered.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I did a complete 180 and am looking at the Sako 90 Adventure now...
A much better plan than a Bavarian stock since you’re planning to use a scope.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:32 PM

I've never regretted buying a Sako, mostly used. I can say the same about Leupold, scopes & binos. Wise pick. Congrats!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-13-2023, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all your input guys! It gets shipped today, this will be my first brand new riffle (besides 22's) super pumped!