Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Grey or brown?

I'm gathering supplies to dip my Rams in Tremclad. I already bought grey primer and Naptha to dip them but I'm second guessing myself. I'm wondering if brown would be better. I thought about putting a few stripes of brown over grey to break them up a bit also.

What do you think?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Dip in tremclad or spray ?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:56 PM

The plan is to dip them in Tremclad thinned with Naphtha. I may spray some accents on them but they will be dipped initially.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Ryan5911 used RAMS that were painted white during the early eason. Didnt seem to bug the coyotes.

I use white flagging with orange pokeadots to mark my snares. Didnt seem to big them either
Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 PM

I dipped some traps in paint a couple years ago. It took a long time for the smell to dissipate. Spray paint smell goes away much faster
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Ryan5911 used RAMS that were painted white during the early eason. Didnt seem to bug the coyotes.

I use white flagging with orange pokeadots to mark my snares. Didnt seem to big them either
I'm really not sure how to take your post Philintheblank. There seems to be a lot of sarcasm there. Hopefully not.

Without snow it would be tough to tell how many coyotes refused those white Rams before a dumb one walked into it.

I hope you're not hanging polka dot flagging tape within inches of the loop which is the distance a Ram is from the loop.

I like pink flagging tape for my sets, it's the easiest to spot I've found.

Anyways, I'll probably stick with grey. Part of the reason I was considering brown was I could use the same paint for my water traps. Maybe it seems trivial but I've got 9 dozen to do and only have time to do them once.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I'm really not sure how to take your post Philintheblank. There seems to be a lot of sarcasm there. Hopefully not.

Without snow it would be tough to tell how many coyotes refused those white Rams before a dumb one walked into it.

I hope you're not hanging polka dot flagging tape within inches of the loop which is the distance a Ram is from the loop.

Anyways, I'll probably stick with grey. Part of the reason I was considering brown was I could use the same paint for my water traps. Maybe it seems trivial but I've got 9 dozen to do and only have time to do them once.
Actually Gordy told me that powder blue was the hardest color for canines to see. He does have some blue lightly fogged on some wolf snares I've seen. I have no idea if it is true.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Actually Gordy told me that powder blue was the hardest color for canines to see. He does have some blue lightly fogged on some wolf snares I've seen. I have no idea if it is true.
Thanks! I'll do some research into that.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 PM

A little reading makes me believe it's unlikely that wolves can't see blue. Canines are red/green colour blind.

https://dog-vision.com/#Color

Yellow and blue seem to be the colours to avoid. I'd be curious to know why Gordy believes wolves don't see blue.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
I dipped some traps in paint a couple years ago. It took a long time for the smell to dissipate. Spray paint smell goes away much faster
I missed your post somehow powdermonkey. Did you thin the paint? If so with what?

I've done a lot of reading on different techniques and it seems to be important what you thin the paint with. That's the reason I chose naphtha, it should dry quickly in cool temps due to its high volatility.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
A little reading makes me believe it's unlikely that wolves can't see blue. Canines are red/green colour blind.

https://dog-vision.com/#Color

Yellow and blue seem to be the colours to avoid. I'd be curious to know why Gordy believes wolves don't see blue.
When he was teaching a snare course and was asked what color to paint them that was his answer.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 PM

Thanks, if I ever meet him I will ask him about it in depth.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Default Dying Rams

I have been using Rams since Bruce first came out with them and don't dye them at all. I put out over 200 at a time and have no problem catching dogs. Any new Rams or snares that I add or use on my line come right out of the box and put out with nothing done to them. I actually hang my snare around my neck when checking snares. My best year to date was 820 coyotes. Just keep it simple and don't over think it.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I have been using Rams since Bruce first came out with them and don't dye them at all. I put out over 200 at a time and have no problem catching dogs. Any new Rams or snares that I add or use on my line come right out of the box and put out with nothing done to them. I actually hang my snare around my neck when checking snares. My best year to date was 820 coyotes. Just keep it simple and don't over think it.
I did in fact set every one of them right out of the box last year and caught plenty of coyotes. I noticed though that if we got rain or wet snow they left a rust mark in the fur. This is why I'm looking at treating them somehow. The colour is just me overthinking it, I couldn't decide and thought I'd get some opinions.

Maybe they'll be better this year since they're not new and shouldn't rust so bad?

"Overthinking it" should be my middle name.

Last edited by Tfng; 09-19-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:13 AM

Haha! Nothing wrong with that man.

Same way myself more often than not... especially if it makes sense to my crazy noggin'... and that sir.. Makes sense to me too lol

anything to do with trapping I want to analyze and dissect, to the point where I end up slowing myself down... as long as I can sleep at night I'm fine with it..for now

edit: "w" on want.. for cryin out loud spell check..
Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:

no sarcasm intended

this has been a good thread, keep the info coming
Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
I did in fact set every one of them right out of the box last year and caught plenty of coyotes. I noticed though that if we got rain or wet snow they left a rust mark in the fur. This is why I'm looking at treating them somehow. The colour is just me overthinking it, I couldn't decide and thought I'd get some opinions.
Maybe just dip the ends of the rams?
Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Well I decided to go brown and do all my traps and stands the same colour for simplicity.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM

Smile

I think I just used paint thinner.
And I wouldn't do it again.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I think I just used paint thinner.
And I wouldn't do it again.
Didn't stick? Or just not needed?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM

It coated okay but I did it in July and I could still smell the stuff when I put them in the ground in October. But it didn't seem to matter they still caught coyotes. I just didn't like it.
I generally do paint Rams with a little flat spray paint but honestly it don't matter to coyotes. I just try to protect most of them from the rust a little bit.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
It coated okay but I did it in July and I could still smell the stuff when I put them in the ground in October. But it didn't seem to matter they still caught coyotes. I just didn't like it.
I generally do paint Rams with a little flat spray paint but honestly it don't matter to coyotes. I just try to protect most of them from the rust a little bit.
Yes the rust was my main reason. Hopefully the Naptha helps them dry quickly. They dried to the touch pretty quick. It would have been best to do in May but that never seems to be my style.