Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 AM

most inaccurate a Metford 303 somebody hack sawed 10" off the barrel and soldered the front sight on, in my defense I was only 14 at the time

Nastiest was a Remington 8 magnum thing bullwhipped kicked like mule a couple hundred FPS was not worth the pain
Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 AM

My early early rifles were all gems.
The savage edge that i bought new, not so much. Terrible trigger. Gritty bolt. Uncomfortable bolt handle. Only Ok accuracy.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:02 PM

Wink Inaccurate rifle

In the 55yrs I have shot rifles, most were good to excellent. But took a chance on a Weatherby Ulta lite in 7mm Wtby. man it grouped 6" at 100 yds. checked all torque on scope mounts and action screws. To no avail, like the rifle but returned it to seller and got a Sako 75, never looked back. Lemons in all makes I guess. Stick to what works for you. !!
Old 09-22-2023, 12:27 PM

Had used kimber in 308...3-4 " groups with 3 different factory target loads... did not even try to reload for it...down the road
Old 09-22-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Worst was the SKS = junk. 303's....well lets just say i have respect for them. As far as a go to hunting rifle there the last rifle i would pack. So many options [stocks, actions, barrels, triggers] today to build a way more accurate rifle.

Untill scopes became common, the Lee Enfields were generally as accurate as most people could actually make use of, and the .303 Brit was about as powerfull as anyone needed.

IMO they are still relivent in that roll, much like the classic lever guns. The standard issue irons are far better than what typically comes on sporting rifles. Despite the horror stories, I've never owned one (other than the Jungle Carbine) that wasnt accurate enough to take game as far out as I'm competent without a scope

Once you get rid of the original sights, and\or add a scope, I'm inclined to agree with you. Which is why the nicer Parker Hale's I've owned, as well as a custom sporter which had among the nicest wood and bluing of any rifle I've seen, all got sold relatively quickly... but I still own a number of cheap hack-job sporters that see fairly regular use.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-22-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:11 AM

For Father's day years ago I got a .308 ruger Hawkeye. Stainless synthetic. I tried from 150 to 180 gr with about 12 different bullets and 3 different powders best was about 4.5 inches at 100. Just a piece of crap.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:38 AM

my lemon was an M700 .270 stainless mountain rifle, about 30 years ago,
it actually shot pretty well,
I didn't have much money, and had it on layby for 6 months,
First problem was the ramp wasn't machined fully, and would shave off a sliver of bullet tip and if this got in the chamber would jam, off to gun smith to fix,
The trigger was terrible, very heavy with heaps of travel, and it would, often dump all the rounds out, when bring bolt back,
I had an old tasco 4 power, on it, i had a love hate affair with this rifle, if i had to climb down a bank or cross river, I would just throw the rifle across and cross or climb down with out it, I was culling at the time and my other rifle was a sako vixen .222, I use the .222 until I had to let a few deer go and then decide the .270 was better, then i loose a few to the trigger or dumping rounds, get the ****s, with the rifle and go back to the .222.
I do have one lasting memory with that old .270 Remington mountain rifle, me and a mate got onto a big mob of goats, in a pine block we were culling out, had them trapped above a waterfall, and with a big open basin above, I picked a knol, and dumped 60 rounds into my hat, and let rip, the last dozen or so goats, I was having trouble shooting, due to the heat and haze coming of the barrel, ran down to the creek threw in rifle and ran back up to the knol and started finishing of the last few stragglers, 66 down in the basin and two dozen more above the waterfall.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:22 PM

Default My worst rifle

I had a Savage Axis 25/06 that was a fugly camo pattern. The action felt like it was gliding on sandpaper. The Trigger felt like a 10lb pull. However it did shoot the federal fusion ammo not to bad.

I couldnt hit anything with it but my father could shoot 3 shot MOA groups with it, i could barely put 3 on a pie plate with it.

Last edited by markg; 09-25-2023 at 11:47 PM.