Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Default just remembered one more

I bought a new Savage .17 with a thumbhole stock. Thing was accurate as could be but often would decide to crap all the shells in the mag onto the ground. Very frustrating and now someone elses problem. That is the other gun I have traded away.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I highly doubt it was the rifle, in fact, I highly doubt the story. Your symptoms sound like a bad scope or bad/loose mounts. I have NEVER seen a Remington that shot like that and have owned well over 50, including the CDL model...it is a superb rig. I think you gave up too soon or .....
you can highly doubt whatever you want. for the price of that rifle i wasnt going to have any work done to it. im pretty sure the tallys and ziess were not to blame. some rifles are just crap. on another note she also had ejector problems. but what would i know. i guess thats how rifles are supposed to work hey?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM

300 Ultramag in a Rem CDL.

Seems the only thing I can hit with it is my eye with the scope.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM

A friend brought over an old remington semi auto in 30-06 that he purchased cheap at an auction sale. The gun threw patterns of about 5" at 100 yards with a few loads, so he gave it to a relative to get rid of it.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Rancher_49

Default Parkerhale 308 Norma Magnum

This gun would not shoot! Threw bullets all over the place with different shooters. Besides being a club it would knock all the fillings in your teeth loose.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Shows to go yah, I had a Parker Hale in 308 Norma, that was an absolute tack driver. It was a rare trip to the range to have any load go over 1moa.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Well, I would bet that many of these stories are not the rifle at all. I have watched many shooters "do their thing" at the shooting range and I am not surprised when they say the rifle is crap or I see a "machine gun like" pattern on the target. Many don't use proper shooting form or technique.....hell, some don't even hold their breath when they release the trigger!

With modern rifles and scopes, you should be getting 1" groups off a secure shooting position at 100 yards with reloads and no worse than 2-3" with factory fodder. I have yet to own any firearm that would not do this although some needed extensive load development to attain good groups. The usual problem with a big spread is a poor mounting job on the scope, loose screws, wrong torque setting on the stock bolts, etc. Heck I have seen some guys sight in a new rifle starting at 100 yards rather than 25 yards and then they blame the rifle when the holes are off the paper.

Sometimes I wished that safety course they teach for the PAL included proper shooting instruction too. Then maybe you REM haters would sing a different tune.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

A Ruger No. 1 in .243.

Lefty Canuck's dad did not believe me what a piece of crap the gun was until he took the gun out for a test drive himself.

He agreed with me.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
A Ruger No. 1 in .243.

Lefty Canuck's dad did not believe me what a piece of crap the gun was until he took the gun out for a test drive himself.

He agreed with me.
The convo probably went like this....

"Allen this gun just won't shoot worth a dang"

Rusty....."I am going to call BS on that one...I bet if I gave it a go I could smack the turd from a cows butt @ 500 yards"....

Deja Vu? lol

LC
Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The convo probably went like this....

"Allen this gun just won't shoot worth a dang"

Rusty....."I am going to call BS on that one...I bet if I gave it a go I could smack the turd from a cows butt @ 500 yards"....

Deja Vu? lol

LC
Allen told me to take that gun and stuff it up "Geromes" axx.

He then asked me how Friendly the Giant was.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I would bet that many of these stories are not the rifle at all. I have watched many shooters "do their thing" at the shooting range and I am not surprised when they say the rifle is crap or I see a "machine gun like" pattern on the target. Many don't use proper shooting form or technique.....hell, some don't even hold their breath when they release the trigger!

With modern rifles and scopes, you should be getting 1" groups off a secure shooting position at 100 yards with reloads and no worse than 2-3" with factory fodder. I have yet to own any firearm that would not do this although some needed extensive load development to attain good groups. The usual problem with a big spread is a poor mounting job on the scope, loose screws, wrong torque setting on the stock bolts, etc. Heck I have seen some guys sight in a new rifle starting at 100 yards rather than 25 yards and then they blame the rifle when the holes are off the paper.

Sometimes I wished that safety course they teach for the PAL included proper shooting instruction too. Then maybe you REM haters would sing a different tune.
Often I'd agree with you, but I just had a $2200 factory rifle shoot so bad that I sent it back to the maker. I can shoot a little and the minute of a washtub this thing did at 100 yards was outrageous.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:

everyone here is talking about specific rifles. wouldnt it be fair to say that every rifle everyone here shoots should be garbage to them? (because nobody knows how to use them) if your theory is correct?

its alright if your hard for rems bud. not my thing.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
waylow

midland in 30-06 and a rem 700 in 270.
Also had a savage in 223 that would jam so friggin solid, I'd have to take the stock off and remove the mag follower to get it un-fuct.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Still looking to find the worst, but best one in the box is an old (production stopped in '61) REM 721 in .270 win wearing a 6x Simmons. Cheapest raffle I've ever bought, and at 100 yards will lay down 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime, every time. And I'll admit that that's with misses shooting!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 PM

mine would be the 303 martini that has its irons calibrated for 220grain black powder loads. But my 94 winchester of 1970's vintage is a close second.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
everyone here is talking about specific rifles. wouldnt it be fair to say that every rifle everyone here shoots should be garbage to them? (because nobody knows how to use them) if your theory is correct?

its alright if your hard for rems bud. not my thing.
Yeah but you talked about a brand new superb CDL SF which is one of the nicest factory rifles out there in its price range. Sure it is possible it got past the QC, but my experience with REM's doesn't show that. Nor does it jive with many others' expereince with the best and biggest factory rifle maker out there. I doubt your story plain and simple. If it truely was a bad gun, Remington would have corrected the problem. Their service in Canada is first rate by the way. Considering the cost of the CDL, I wonder about anyone that would get rid of a beautiful rifle like that without any attempt to first correct it.

As for being "hard for REM", they do make the best selling most accurate rifles available here. I have tried them all but always come back to the best. They shoot the best, they feel the best in my hands and the fit and finish is excellent for a factory gun. They are the ones the US military used for years because they shoot great and they are reliable. That is the one used for most custom setups. That is the one that holds most shooting records. I would hazzard to guess that more game has been taken with a Remington 700 than all the others out there, except for the legendary Winchester 94 30-30. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Often I'd agree with you, but I just had a $2200 factory rifle shoot so bad that I sent it back to the maker. I can shoot a little and the minute of a washtub this thing did at 100 yards was outrageous.
That is sad. I feel your pain. Which rifle maker was it? I trust they are fixing the problem?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM

remington 770, to be fair, it shot sub moa all day with my reloads, but the action..... never seen an action as s****Y as that action and ive handled my share of actions...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50

Quote:
That is sad. I feel your pain. Which rifle maker was it? I trust they are fixing the problem?
My guess it's a Cooper
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 AM

The very worst rifle is one that is broke , no matter the make,when the quarry walks out in front of you!!
Cat
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
The brand isn't important to this thread as many people have been satisfied with their rifles. I got a bad one and wasn't happy.
As for the company, I've never heard back from them since i returned it. That leaves a worse taste in my mouth than a factory oops.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM

If you are willing to PM me the brand I would be interested to know....

We all know the Major brands get slammed here all the time....Remington, Savage, Weatherby to name a few....for me each company can put out a lemon from time to time BUT its how they look after the customer thats important.

LC
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
As for the company, I've never heard back from them since i returned it. That leaves a worse taste in my mouth than a factory oops.
209X50 and I exchanged a few PMs about his situation, and I am very surprised at the poor service that he received from the manufacturer. I had a minor by comparison problem with a rifle by the same manufacturer, and the response from both the manufacturer, and the dealer were much more positive. No manufacturer is perfect, and every now and then a lemon slips through the system, but based on what 209x50 told me, the manufacturer certainly didn't treat him the way that they should have. If I had received similar treatment, I likely would never have purchased anything made by that manufacturer again.

Quote:
We all know the Major brands get slammed here all the time....Remington, Savage, Weatherby to name a few....for me each company can put out a lemon from time to time BUT its how they look after the customer thats important.
Exactly, I can deal with a faulty product if the dealer and manufacturer resolve the situation to my satisfaction. I have given more than one manufacturer a second chance, because they dealt with the situation in a positive way.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Parker Hale 30-06, wouldn't feed right and sprayed a pattern larger then most shotguns!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM

I hate to say it, but mine would have to be my 303 (but I don't think it's the rifle's fault).

I bought it two seasons ago, for hunting. The first year I tried to sight it in up at hunting camp it was all over the place. The previous owner had told me he'd never fired it, so I was a bit worried ... Luckily I had also brought my 30-30, so I was able to use that instead. When I got home I found the screws holding my scope base were loose, which made me happy, it wasn't the scope, barrel, or the $150 worth of ammo I'd bought with the rifle.

Fast forward to this season. Again, I tried to sight it in up at hunting camp. Again, it would not seem to come in, the shots started out promising, at 25 and 50 yards, but it was off the paper at 100 yards. Needless to say, I was pretty frustrated at this point, I was ready to use the rifle as a baseball bat. Again, I ended up using my 30-30 for the week.

I felt like an idiot when I looked at it a week ago... Guess what? Scope was loose again! Then it dawned on me, last year I'd intended to lock-tite the screws, but I couldn't find my bottle of lock-tite, so I put it back together until I could grab some. Then I forgot...

Now they're tightened, *with lock-tite*, and I hope that when I take it out to sight it in, it will be A-OK! Third time's a charm, right?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
209X50 and I exchanged a few PMs about his situation, and I am very surprised at the poor service that he received from the manufacturer. I had a minor by comparison problem with a rifle by the same manufacturer, and the response from both the manufacturer, and the dealer were much more positive. No manufacturer is perfect, and every now and then a lemon slips through the system, but based on what 209x50 told me, the manufacturer certainly didn't treat him the way that they should have. If I had received similar treatment, I likely would never have purchased anything made by that manufacturer again.
209X50....no need for a PM, this above tells me who the manufacturer is...

LC
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Please forgive me Lefty but you weren't going to get a PM from me. It was never my intent to slag a particular brand only to point out that any maker can have an oops.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM

I actually ended up with that rifle after it came back from the warranty. They didn't do anything with it-they said it was fine. It only shot OK with factory loads but sure shoots the lights out with handloads. I'm getting 1/2" or so with most everything and better on a good day with its favorite loads.
I'm assumming this was the rifle that was lent to use for a story in AO then returned after the shooting? It worked outr great for me as I got it at a used price
What did you use for handloads?
BT
Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM

had a savage model 99c in 308 couldn't hit nuttin wth it scattered like a machine gun, sold it to my ex brother in law ha took it to a gun smith they found a crack in the stock, he had a new stock put on it an now its a tack driver and the S O B wont sell it back to me
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Please forgive me Lefty but you weren't going to get a PM from me. It was never my intent to slag a particular brand only to point out that any maker can have an oops.
No worries I didn't expect one. Like I posted above all manufacturers can make a lemon but its how they deal with the issue and the customer thats important to me.

LC