Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2023, 12:30 PM

Default Reloads Tumbling

Hoping to get some feedback from the longtime reload crew here, myself still being fairly new to the game. After successfully building a cartridge for my main hunting rifle, I'd decided that my .223 would be next. My first day out wasn't great, failing to hit paper but I took things for what they were to tried to find a stable velocity within the group. Today I went back and decided to sight in first with a couple of factory 55gr I had kicking around. 1/2" group at 100yds without much effort so I eliminated the lingering though of my scope being off. When I switched to the heavier loads (75gr) which I hope to use, once again things were off the paper. Well I decided to set up at 50yds and go from there and still had issues. It turns out the hand loads are tumbling by the holes in the paper, which has been the issue all along. The barrel should have been free of fouling (the factory loads grouped well) and the twist should be within ideal bullet weight. Any thoughts on where to go from here?...also, my setup:
.223rem (1-8twist)
75gr Hornady ELD-M
25gr CFE 223 powder
2.38" C.O.L.
2750 ft/sec
Old 09-29-2023, 12:40 PM

It doesn't matter if the twist rate is supposedly adequate, what you are seeing is proof that it isn't. You can put a tight patch on a rod and push it through the barrel to actually check the rate of twist, as sometimes they are out.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:45 PM

Ya, I would say there is something about the load that your barrel hates, likely the bullet.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:50 PM

Your barrel can’t be 1-8. Something is off there. But for starters, use Varget and speed up those 75’s.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Your barrel can’t be 1-8. Something is off there. But for starters, use Varget and speed up those 75’s.
He can run them faster with CFE223, but an extra 100-150 fps isn't likely going to fix the problem.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:19 PM

I would bet that you have a barrel that is 1:12 or 1:14 by the way your 55's work but the 75's don't.
I have quite a bit of experience with the .223 and long match bullets,using them in four different long range match rifles and this is normally the case.
I have even seen a few 1:9 barrels that will shoot 75's decently, but nothing slower, and for the most part, a 1:8 minimum is what we like to use for long range match bullets, and preferably 1:7's .
Cat
Old 09-29-2023, 03:11 PM

Load the heavier bullets longer
Old 09-29-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I would bet that you have a barrel that is 1:12 or 1:14 by the way your 55's work but the 75's don't.
I have quite a bit of experience with the .223 and long match bullets,using them in four different long range match rifles and this is normally the case.
I have even seen a few 1:9 barrels that will shoot 75's decently, but nothing slower, and for the most part, a 1:8 minimum is what we like to use for long range match bullets, and preferably 1:7's .
Cat
This seems to be the culprit...it's a discontinued Browning X-Bolt and the manufacturer's website states the 1-8 twist. Upon a quick patch test this afternoon, it appears to be a 1-12 twist barrel. It seems others out there have run into a similar case upon a little further searching on the net. It makes sense why it has always ran factory loads around 55gr fairly well. Also as mentioned above, adding a bit more powder to speed things up. In my initial range day I had run larger charges and had speeds up to 2930 ft/sec but still wasn't having any luck.
Looks like I will have to go with a lighter grain of projectile and start fresh. Thanks to all those who replied.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
This seems to be the culprit...it's a discontinued Browning X-Bolt and the manufacturer's website states the 1-8 twist. Upon a quick patch test this afternoon, it appears to be a 1-12 twist barrel. It seems others out there have run into a similar case upon a little further searching on the net. It makes sense why it has always ran factory loads around 55gr fairly well. Also as mentioned above, adding a bit more powder to speed things up. In my initial range day I had run larger charges and had speeds up to 2930 ft/sec but still wasn't having any luck.
Looks like I will have to go with a lighter grain of projectile and start fresh. Thanks to all those who replied.
It was only recently that Browning put 1-8 twist barrels on. For years before that x-bolts were 1-12