Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2023, 11:30 PM

Default Sighted in a gun and did some shooting

Last year, after replacing the spring on my X-Bolt with a YoDave’s spring (the last couple of posts in this thread), I only fired a few shots, if even that many. In the winter/spring, I switched around some scopes on a few rifles and today was the day when I finally went to sight in this gun, which now carries an FX-3 6x42 scope. The very first group was better than what I can shoot, lol:

That’s three shots at 100m. The single hole on the left is the first shot after the rifle hasn’t been fired for… 9 months or so. Not too shabby at all, especially given the fact that most decent guns can shoot better than me. After adjusting the scope, the very first shot was right on point:

This has nothing to do with the change in trigger, but I usually need to shoot a few and turn the turrets in between before I get there. So got lucky there, lol. The next couple of groups were about the same as the one pictured above. These were fired with store-bought Federal Fusion ammunition loaded with 95-grain bullets. I wanted to switch to copper this year, so I bought a few boxes of Federal Premium loaded with TSX 85-grain bullets (all I could find at the time at “reasonable” prices). I couldn’t get these to group as well as the fusion.

That one on the left was my bad - a damn mosquito decided to sting me on the hand right as I was squeezing the trigger and I could feel I twitched and sent a “flyer”. But yeah, the groups with TSX are good enough for hunting, but aren’t as good. I see they are quite a bit faster than the Fusion (just by looking at the data on the boxes). I used to shoot American Whitetail loaded with Interlock bullets out of this rifle and the groups were somewhere in between and closer to Fusion (they also had pretty much identical point of impact with the Fusion). Having said that, I shot out in the woods, sitting position off a tripod:

Off the bench these groups would tighten up, but so would Fusion as well.

No point to the story, really, lol. Maybe it would be nice to reload. All I need is brass, equipment, and a mentor, lol. I have bullets, powder, and primers (so plans are there for the future… maybe).

Edit: Lol. There is a point and why I started writing it in the first place. The trigger makes a difference. This is the original Browning X-Bolt trigger with a YoDave’s spring. Before the spring replacement, the lowest I could adjust it to was about 4 pounds, if I recall correctly; after the spring replacement, it is adjusted to 2.5 pounds of pull and is quite nice (can go a bit lower even if a guy was willing). This same Fusion ammo used to group just like Hornady did, as mentioned above, in the same circumstances.

Edit 2: And whoever thought of using the election sings as a “target holder” was a genius! And thanks to those who mentioned it here after the last election. I only grabbed two Independence signs (everyone else got theirs out right quick and these stuck around for a few days), but will sure act faster next time and grab a few more. A now pro-tip: make sure you place the target so that you do not shoot where these are being held, lol. Otherwise, this happens and you can either fix it or need another sign:

I, of course, didn’t think about it and slapped two targets on it next to each other because… Lazy? Lol.

Last edited by fishnguy; 09-23-2023 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:34 AM

Nice shooting! To me those TSX look like they are accurate enough for hunting, given that you shoot elk with that thing I'd be inclined to use them. One of these days you should sight that -06 in.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:08 PM

I thought it was nice shooting. By my “standards” or “abilities” anyway. Too bad those Federals with TSX wouldn’t group as well though. I, for whatever reason, was convinced that I would get better groups with them. Oh well. Will see what they do hunting.

Haha. I am actually getting closer to getting that 30-06 sighted. It’s been a while. I changed my mind about some things and am looking for the rings currently for a different scope. Basically what we talked about a few weeks ago. Once that done, I am going to give her a turn. I may have a couple of scopes for sale in not so distant future, lol.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:02 AM

those groups translate into many a meal by the looks of it to me.

not why guys get so hung up on getting benchrest groups from from a spindly barreled hunting gun. it will serve it's intended purpose admirably. good luck this season, looking forward to some great field photos!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:10 AM

I agree Duceman! I would zero that rifle at 200 yards , be happy and go kill stuff!!
Shooting multiple groups at 100 yards with a hunting rifles is highly over rated .
Cat
Old 09-25-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I thought it was nice shooting. By my “standards” or “abilities” anyway. Too bad those Federals with TSX wouldn’t group as well though. I, for whatever reason, was convinced that I would get better groups with them. Oh well. Will see what they do hunting.

Haha. I am actually getting closer to getting that 30-06 sighted. It’s been a while. I changed my mind about some things and am looking for the rings currently for a different scope. Basically what we talked about a few weeks ago. Once that done, I am going to give her a turn. I may have a couple of scopes for sale in not so distant future, lol.
Speaking of 06's, I think my new one finally got me tuned in. The first attempts at shooting 180 Interlocks were dissapointing, trying lighter bullets got good results. I tryed some 165 grain Partitions today, which grouped around 1"... shot a half dozen 180 Grain Interlocts again and it was shooting them sub MOA?!

I'm thinking that that rifle/ scope setup just feels so different than what I'm used to that it just took the gun a few sessions to get ME dialed in properly.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
those groups translate into many a meal by the looks of it to me.

not why guys get so hung up on getting benchrest groups from from a spindly barreled hunting gun. it will serve it's intended purpose admirably. good luck this season, looking forward to some great field photos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I agree Duceman! I would zero that rifle at 200 yards , be happy and go kill stuff!!
Shooting multiple groups at 100 yards with a hunting rifles is highly over rated .
Cat
I agree with both of you. This gun killed quite a few animals. I guess it is just a little disappointing because my expectation was that this ammo would shoot better. I am not disappointed in groups in the slightest. Especailly because I am no Vassily Zajtsev to begin with, lol.

Cat, it is zeroed at 100 because most shots are made under and only some are reaching a bit beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Speaking of 06's, I think my new one finally got me tuned in. The first attempts at shooting 180 Interlocks were dissapointing, trying lighter bullets got good results. I tryed some 165 grain Partitions today, which grouped around 1"... shot a half dozen 180 Grain Interlocts again and it was shooting them sub MOA?!

I'm thinking that that rifle/ scope setup just feels so different than what I'm used to that it just took the gun a few sessions to get ME dialed in properly.
That’s great! It is quite different from what you usually shoot, so I am not surprised.

I know a few people who hunt exclusively with American Whitetail and are quite happy. One has a Ruger American in 30-06 and I don’t think that gun had ever shot anything but that. I actually think I shot my first deer with that gun loaded with that very ammo. I used it myself pretty much up until now with some random something else in between (maybe) until I decided to try mono this season. American Whitetail performs well and reasonably priced compared to most of everything else, imo.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Cat, it is zeroed at 100 because most shots are made under and only some are reaching a bit beyond that.
Well, what can I say, if it works, fill yer boots!
I'm sure that ammo will work perfectly for you
Cat
Old 09-28-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Well, what can I say, if it works, fill yer boots!
I'm sure that ammo will work perfectly for you
Cat
Yeah, I shoot most of my animals at 40 yards or less. I still sight in for max point blank though, as a couple inches high at 100 has never proven be a problem.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, I shoot most of my animals at 40 yards or less. I still sight in for max point blank though, as a couple inches high at 100 has never proven be a problem.
You are probably close to a 200 zero then
Cat
Old 09-28-2023, 06:23 PM

Default Nice

Nice Groups! I like the feel of an Xbolt but the trigger has always been the downside. Nice that there is a soulution.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
You are probably close to a 200 zero then
Cat
I think a balistics calculater would put my zero around 220-240 yards depending on the chambering, I just sight em 2.5" high at 100.